Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Philli2 wrote: »
    Hi all, i`m about to embark on a replacement boiler trail and will keep you posted.
    I am in receipt of qualifying benefits and have contacted my supplier(not involved in scheme?)
    Eon who seem to be the only one to offer the ECO scheme and i have registered, and awaiting reply and my local council under the warm homes scheme and are awaiting a referral for an assessment using a local supplier.We will see how it unfolds,here`s hoping!!

Hello Philli2 and welcome to the Forums.

Happy to confirm, we're part of the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme to help with energy saving stuff like boiler replacements and loft and cavity wall insulation.

The scheme is open to both E.ON and non-E.ON customers.

To qualify for help with a replacement boiler, the existing boiler needs to be broken or not working properly and be more than 5 years old. To be eligible, you'll need to own your home or rent privately from a landlord and claim certain income related benefits. There's more information including an application form on our website.

Hope this helps Philli2.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Hi Malc, thanks for your confirmation and guidance, although my boiler is still functioning it is not a condensing type it is (Ideal Classic) and is over 20 years old and served us well, its efficiency is rated at about 73%.It makes some "clonking" noises although we regularly vent and filter the system.
    My understanding of the acceptance criteria is that of an inefficiency and not necessarily broken down or unrepairable boilers , do I read this correctly?
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I am in a similatr position - although our 12 year old boiler is a condensing one (Worcester greenstar) - it leaks like a sieve and needs constant topping up
    I understand that being on DLA and warm homes is enough to obtain a free replacement boiler ?
    Malc - could you please confirm or deny this fact ?
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Philli2 wrote: »
    Hi Malc, thanks for your confirmation and guidance, although my boiler is still functioning it is not a condensing type it is (Ideal Classic) and is over 20 years old and served us well, its efficiency is rated at about 73%.It makes some "clonking" noises although we regularly vent and filter the system.
    My understanding of the acceptance criteria is that of an inefficiency and not necessarily broken down or unrepairable boilers , do I read this correctly?

Hello Philli2 and thank you for the additional information.

To qualify for help under our ECO scheme, existing boilers need to be broken or not working properly. Each situation is looked at individually. Our ECO team will talk to you about your boiler and the current circumstances. If they think we're able to help, they'll arrange a free home visit to see if you qualify.

There might be certain costs involved depending on the individual circumstances. For instance, we might ask for a part payment towards a replacement boiler (there's more details on our website under 'Affordable Warmth'). There could also be additional costs to cover things like safety work, pipework, scaffolding, extra radiators etc.

As I say, we look at each situation individually and go through all aspects of the application during the home visit. The assessor will let you know how much you're looking at on completion of their survey. It's then up to you if you want to go ahead with the installation.

To start the ball rolling, have a talk to our ECO team - contact details are on our website.

Thanks for your interest Philli2.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I am in a similatr position - although our 12 year old boiler is a condensing one (Worcester greenstar) - it leaks like a sieve and needs constant topping up
    I understand that being on DLA and warm homes is enough to obtain a free replacement boiler ?
    Malc - could you please confirm or deny this fact ?

Hello 50Twuncle and, as above, each situation is assessed individually. Have a talk to our ECO team (contact details are on our website). If they think we can help, they'll arrange a free home visit to check and let you know what's involved. The ECO team will also go through the qualifying benefits with you.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction 50Twuncle.

Malc
  • hulkgti
    hulkgti Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 December 2018 at 6:10PM
    Hi, just had a read of this thread as my boiler cover is due to end. All the insurers I looked at so far will only offer replacement boiler for current boilers under 7 years old. How do you cover older ones? I didn't realise my boiler was classed as old. Looking to get a new one for this reason but I have looked at the schemes which are supposed to assist with this and they appear to only help if the current boiler is broken and its a 12wk timeline from application to fitting. Have I understood this correctly? Do you just hope that the boiler breaks down in summer?! Any advice appreciated. Thanks
    Also if anyone is aware of schemes that assist with new windows & doors can you point me in the right direction please?
  • ccderby
    ccderby Posts: 15 Forumite
    Annoyed I’ve just wasted nearly half an hour to get through to EON to be told they won’t send someone out to assess my boiler. Although it is 14 years old and had problems recently, apparently as it is currently working intermittently an assessment will not be possible. That EONs rep, Remy, was really unhelpful and bored on the phone didn’t help my frustration.

Is it not possible to assess this? Not sure how I’m meant to know if it’s faulty, surely that’s the point of an assessment.

Hello Philli2 and thank you for the additional information.

To qualify for help under our ECO scheme, existing boilers need to be broken or not working properly. Each situation is looked at individually. Our ECO team will talk to you about your boiler and the current circumstances. If they think we're able to help, they'll arrange a free home visit to see if you qualify.

There might be certain costs involved depending on the individual circumstances. For instance, we might ask for a part payment towards a replacement boiler (there's more details on our website under 'Affordable Warmth'). There could also be additional costs to cover things like safety work, pipework, scaffolding, extra radiators etc.

As I say, we look at each situation individually and go through all aspects of the application during the home visit. The assessor will let you know how much you're looking at on completion of their survey. It's then up to you if you want to go ahead with the installation.

To start the ball rolling, have a talk to our ECO team - contact details are on our website.

Thanks for your interest Philli2.

Malc
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hello 50Twuncle and, as above, each situation is assessed individually. Have a talk to our ECO team (contact details are on our website). If they think we can help, they'll arrange a free home visit to check and let you know what's involved. The ECO team will also go through the qualifying benefits with you.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction 50Twuncle.

Malc

Malc,
    Thanks for this
    I am not an EON customer - does this make any difference to any offer ?
    ccderby wrote: »
    Annoyed I’ve just wasted nearly half an hour to get through to EON to be told they won’t send someone out to assess my boiler. Although it is 14 years old and had problems recently, apparently as it is currently working intermittently an assessment will not be possible. That EONs rep, Remy, was really unhelpful and bored on the phone didn’t help my frustration.

Is it not possible to assess this? Not sure how I’m meant to know if it’s faulty, surely that’s the point of an assessment.

Hello ccderby and I'm sorry you weren't happy with the way our ECO advisor handled your request.

I'd suggest raising a formal complaint. A dedicated Complaints Manager will investigate and listen to any relevant recordings of phone conversations. They'll offer a resolution. If you're unhappy with this, the complaint will be sent to our Reviewers for a second opinion. They'll either uphold the original resolution or offer an alternative. If this remains unsuitable, we'll give you a letter detailing our final position and advise how to go to the Energy Ombudsman for an independent review. There's more information about how we look after complaints on our website.

Sorry again you weren't happy with our approach and hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Malc
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Malc,
    Thanks for this
    I am not an EON customer - does this make any difference to any offer ?

No difference 50Twuncle. The ECO scheme is open to both E.ON and non-E.ON customers. If you're eligible under the terms of the scheme, you'll receive help towards home improvements to help you save energy. There's more information including details of qualifying benefits and an application form on our website under Affordable Warmth.

Hope this helps 50Twuncle.

Malc
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback