HSBC - online security

I had a phone call today from HSBC saying that payments had been put through for some insurance - they were alerted because it sent my account overlimit so they phoned me to check they were valid. They were nothing to do with me so HSBC is sending me a new card and obviously the payments did not go out of the account.

They haven't explained how it happened ie through their new banking app perhaps. I am concerned that other accounts and cards have been compromised but so far the balances are fine.

I have never had this happen before. I only use the card for online payments and Apple Pay but never take the card itself anywhere. Any ideas on what I need to do to be more secure? Or is it perhaps HSBC having a weaker system - I know they aren't the best in this respect.

Comments

• 8i6daddy
    8i6daddy Posts: 89 Forumite
    I don't think HSBC and their "online security" is to blame here... if anything it would probably be some unsecure site you've made a purchase on at some point. Either that are a Continuous payment authority that you have forgotten about.

Did they say what type of insurance it was?

EDIT - Apple Pay - you don't recall receiving any dodgy emails regarding Apple Store payments/subscriptions? i.e phishing emails...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Don't worry.

They've caught it and as long as you are not sloppy about security, there's no reason to worry.

It sounds like a keying error.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I had a phone call today from HSBC saying that payments had been put through for some insurance - they were alerted because it sent my account overlimit so they phoned me to check they were valid. They were nothing to do with me so HSBC is sending me a new card and obviously the payments did not go out of the account.

They haven't explained how it happened ie through their new banking app perhaps. I am concerned that other accounts and cards have been compromised but so far the balances are fine.

I have never had this happen before. I only use the card for online payments and Apple Pay but never take the card itself anywhere. Any ideas on what I need to do to be more secure? Or is it perhaps HSBC having a weaker system - I know they aren't the best in this respect.

You say online payments so is it buying stuff from websites or paying card bills ?
  • AliceBanned
    AliceBanned Posts: 3,048
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    8i6daddy wrote: »
    I don't think HSBC and their "online security" is to blame here... if anything it would probably be some unsecure site you've made a purchase on at some point. Either that are a Continuous payment authority that you have forgotten about.

Did they say what type of insurance it was?

EDIT - Apple Pay - you don't recall receiving any dodgy emails regarding Apple Store payments/subscriptions? i.e phishing emails...

They said it was Sheila's Wheels and Aviva - two separate payments of around £90. A bit odd as it would be traced back and then surely the insurance would be invalid.

I don't think I received any emails about Apple Store payments, no.
  • AliceBanned
    AliceBanned Posts: 3,048
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    You say online payments so is it buying stuff from websites or paying card bills ?

I paid a council tax bill once and a utility bill a couple of times. I may have bought on Amazon using it a well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure