PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• You don't like fruit teas or herbal teas then caron?

Can sympathise re the herbal teas - definitely not a fan of them myself...
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm not a huge fan of them tbh MTSTM don't mind the odd lemon & ginger one if I have a dicky tum but that's about it.
    I like chai tea though so getting through a load of that today:)

CBAness has definitely taken over so no soup made, I think there is a tub in the freezer so will check and have that if there is.
    Did give the bathroom a scrub though so not a completely wasted morning.
    This afternoon I think bed, book and some more painkillers is the plan, otherwise I'm likely to be snoozing by the time my son arrives;)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    you have been driving yourself too hard caronc, you sound run down. These things don`t take hold unless you are poorly. Time for you to have some time off for yourself, no work, no cooking, sitting with feet up and let the body heal

I love herb teas but I only make my own, dried herbs and pouches. Thyme is a good one to take to zap infections
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    'afternoon all

Not much to report, dull day but at least the mizzle has gone

Nil breakfast

Absolutely bu66er all inspiration in L's this morning, even the YS shelf was empty, except for flavoured yoghurts which are of no use to me

back for lunch, used up the last of the defrosted crumpets, followed whoever it was on here example and had them toasted with melted cheese on top. I can recommend this CFO quickie, ticks all boxes

Dinner, I'm thinking along lines of the LO salmon flaked into an omelette, nice and easy

I think I'm going to have to sow a few more beans, one lot, 2009 seed, have rotted, not unexpected. I've plenty of others available so not a problem. With warmer weather due next week I'll soon start hardening of some things, like the dahlias
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Post-Xmas I randomly bought a couple of dinky Xmas puds that were reduced. They're really tiny ones, if I were a manufacturer I'd be embarrassed to sell those as it's a smaller portion than a 1900 Workhouse Xmas Pud portion! It's probably a heaped tablespoon in size. Wrapping says 100g.

Just nuked one. Not a fan of Xmas pud, but I'm a fan of "I'll give that a go as it's so cheap" followed by "I'll nuke that as it's instant food".

CBA to make a dab of custard with it ... so just ate it with a teaspoon from the factory pot.

Earlier today, lunch was cheesy chips and beans :)
  • caronc
    kittie wrote: »
    you have been driving yourself too hard caronc, you sound run down. These things don`t take hold unless you are poorly. Time for you to have some time off for yourself, no work, no cooking, sitting with feet up and let the body heal

I love herb teas but I only make my own, dried herbs and pouches. Thyme is a good one to take to zap infections
    My batteries are certainly a bit flat at the moment but hopefully the better weather forecast for next week will be the tonic needed:)
    Farway wrote: »
    'afternoon all

With warmer weather due next week I'll soon start hardening of some things, like the dahlias
    You're garden is so much further ahead than mine, I'm jealous:).

I headed to bed this afternoon and had a decent snooze for a couple of hours. My face is now much less swollen so looks as though the meds have kicked in:D.

Apart from chopping some peppers & onions dinner tonight will more or less take care of itself. My son will text when he's about an hour away so I can work out when we'll eat:).
  • caronc
    I've been stood up :rotfl::rotfl:
    My son is just off the phone, he's still at work and not sure when he'll get finished so is going to wait and come home tomorrow morning. I'm glad he's doing this as I hate him driving in the dark when he's shattered especially when the weather isn't great. Tonight's salmon etc. will now be tomorrow's dinner.
    I'm not sure what I'll have now, something quick from the freezer I think:)
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Post-Xmas I randomly bought a couple of dinky Xmas puds that were reduced. They're really tiny ones, if I were a manufacturer I'd be embarrassed to sell those as it's a smaller portion than a 1900 Workhouse Xmas Pud portion! It's probably a heaped tablespoon in size. Wrapping says 100g.

Just nuked one. Not a fan of Xmas pud, but I'm a fan of "I'll give that a go as it's so cheap" followed by "I'll nuke that as it's instant food".

CBA to make a dab of custard with it ... so just ate it with a teaspoon from the factory pot.

Earlier today, lunch was cheesy chips and beans :)

Love the descript ion but think the poor folk in the workhouse would have been grateful for a just a taste I had a look at this, oh my, makes me ashamed to think how often I have a scrabble through the overloaded freezer and cant find anything I really fancy or can be bothered to cook

http://www.victorianweb.org/history/poorlaw/dietwh.html
    Slimming World at target
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 April 2018 at 7:17PM
    meg72 wrote: »
    Love the descript ion but think the poor folk in the workhouse would have been grateful for a just a taste I had a look at this, oh my, makes me ashamed to think how often I have a scrabble through the overloaded freezer and cant find anything I really fancy or can be bothered to cook

http://www.victorianweb.org/history/poorlaw/dietwh.html

I think there's a lot of over-emotional bull put round about workhouses.... it will depend on the individuals running it and the general location and area. Where my lot lived/died the workhouse seemed quite a "good place" to find yourself. And many had special Christmas dinners and treats. Most seemed to have meat and plum pudding.

Many people in the Workhouse were funded by relatives. e.g. if your mum was in there and you were, say, a lad of 18+ and working, they'd expect you to pay for your mum's keep. So, in the main, a lot of people were self-funded, and a lot of Workhouse managers were good people.

A random entry plucked purely at random, for Derby in 1905 says "The inmates of the Workhouse had their usual dinner on Christmas Day, comprising beef, pork, rabbits, plum pudding, and most of them beer tea and they had plum cake. The smokers were given pipes, tobacco and oranges. The women had tea....."

Or, similarly, Newcastle in 1862
    "The inmates of the Alnwick Union Workhouse were regaled with roast beef and plum pudding, New Years day, at the expense of a few of the guardians and tradesmen of Alnwick, through the exertions of Mr Young, the master"
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,494 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just smashed a sh1tload of chciken wings. Delicious.
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure