NST April 2018: April Fool's Challenge

Comments

• dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Morning. It is raining here again today. unsurprisingly the forecast for next week looks fab as we will all be back in school and work.

I started my energy switch last night after the current providers DD debacle. I went with the Bulb deal on the MSE email. Also requested transfer packs with the Nationwide for transferring my kids CTF to Junior ISA's, I'm not a stupid person by any means but it was hard to find out whether you should apply to open the ISA first or close the CTF, why does everything financial have to be so complicated? It isn't hard to see how people end up in a pickle.

DH collected the dog from the boarding kennels yesterday, he was like a mad thing when he got home, we took him for a long walk then DH bathed him (which he hates), then we blow dried him so he didn't soak through his clean bedding, then brushed him, he smells great now.

Did a grocery shop yesterday so we are all stocked up again now.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    NSD 8 today
    Just inventoried the pantry and fridge and freezer.
    Made a 10 item shopping list that should do all food until next weekend.
    Will shop tomorrow and go to the market for fruitbowl stuff.

Sneaky overpayment to mortgage of £38.70 (monthly total now £127.52)

Will be happy it is going to be a bit warmer, but dreading the pollen.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    f0xh0les wrote: »

Sneaky overpayment to mortgage of £38.70 (monthly total now £127.52)

Will be happy it is going to be a bit warmer, but dreading the pollen.

I'm dreading the pollen too, last year and the year before were bad, never bothered me as much up here before.

We'll need to remortgage this July (fixed deal up) but I can't wait to overpay. Decided to wait till after the new deal but put the money aside that I was planning to overpay the next few months and then drip feed it into the new mortgage.

Will be a spend day today as we need a wee top up shop.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper

We'll need to remortgage this July (fixed deal up) but I can't wait to overpay. Decided to wait till after the new deal but put the money aside that I was planning to overpay the next few months and then drip feed it into the new mortgage.

Best deal I found was 0.99%, but the fee was £1200 and I could not afford it the same month as buying 2 x car insurance.

L&C was great (and free) for finding the deal we got - it was one I had found online but it was good to have it confirmed by them that it was the best one for me. Good luck with it all. Not sorry I won't have to do it again for 2 years.:rotfl:
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • thriftylass
    f0xh0les wrote: »
    Best deal I found was 0.99%, but the fee was £1200 and I could not afford it the same month as buying 2 x car insurance.

L&C was great (and free) for finding the deal we got - it was one I had found online but it was good to have it confirmed by them that it was the best one for me. Good luck with it all. Not sorry I won't have to do it again for 2 years.:rotfl:

I don't like paying the fees but definitely need to look again closer to the time as the deals have changed since I last looked. Definitely also like sticking with the bigger names for some reason. Some companies I have never even heard off :o. Bit like with the gas and elec suppliers, am shy to try the little new ones.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I'm dreading the pollen too, last year and the year before were bad, never bothered me as much up here before.

Will be a spend day today as we need a wee top up shop.

Can I ask why you are planning on drip feeding it in, rather than just remortgaging for a lesser amount from the offset? Obviously don't say if you'd rather not, but surely you'll be paying interest in drip feeding it in, rather than having the smaller sum from the outset?
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • thriftylass
    greent wrote: »
    Can I ask why you are planning on drip feeding it in, rather than just remortgaging for a lesser amount from the offset? Obviously don't say if you'd rather not, but surely you'll be paying interest in drip feeding it in, rather than having the smaller sum from the outset?
    x

It'll only be £1000 and you're right I could just pay that in at renewal, doh. I initially thought I drip feed it as it obviously won't come over the usual 10% overpayment limit but some have a monthly overpayment limit of £500 etc. So wanted to wait and see what the new conditions are.
  • greent
    Today I am grateful for getting out and about with dd, for ibuprofen gel + heat packs, for getting another bagful to the charity shop, for the trees getting all fuzzy, for dh having some extra work, for aldee stocking their cheap big packs of bacon again, for the library, for dd's crafting skills (she made a beautiful dress for one of her sylvan1an fam1lies creatures), for a dry day.

Hope you're ok, apple... xx
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
  • greent
    Aim for at least 15 NSDs. Usual exceptions apply, - Now 5/15
    Pay to your debt or savings first and live off the rest. - ok (done)
    Report in every day. ok
    Interests -- am going to ease myself back into fitness this month and read more -running total -2 walks, 4 books.
    Love yourself - using up face creams etc (micellar water, serums) on a daily basis - hoping my skin will benefit :)-

Find time to get outside. - - nope,
    Overpay - aim to pay 20% extra to your debt or savings. - 6 items listed on flebay to help with this. Put an extra £250 to the savings acct for final pymt on OH's car - Also so far an extra £250 set aside for OH's car from fleabay and previously missed/ unclaimed expenses.
    Organise your month. - DS1's 18th birthday mid month - that's gonna cost...... (all presents now bought/ ordered)
    Lose one bad habit. - a certain game which I've spent waaay too much time on in March.... - not touched it today :) (this has gone very well)
    Sign off your daily post with a list of gratitudes. - yes :)
    Today I am grateful for:
    * not spending!
    * a lovely painter guy
    * prompt paying flebayers :)
    * large packaging supplies held and now being used on fleabay! :D
    Budgets:
    Food 187.02/450
    Travel 59/ £75
    Gifts (inc cards etc) 8.25/£150
    Toiletries 6/£10
    Cleaning 10.70/ £10 (stocked up on dwasher tabs)
    Social £150 - need to update this with spends from pub last night - 1 round of just 2 drinks
    Clothing 132.60/ £75:o (OH 2 x boots, 1 x coat, DS1 Y13 Leavers Hoody)
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    A - 8/15 NSD today.
    R - Done.
    I - Nothing done today.
    L - Had a lovely relaxing bath, herbal tea and lavender oil in the burner.
    F - Walked to and from bus stop to my Dad's house which is about 10 minutes each way.
    O - Done.
    O - Still ongoing.
    L - Ok with social media today.
    S - Grateful for:
    Catching up with a few household chores.
    Nice weather.
    Having some chill out time.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills