Mum's partner died with debt...

Hi all,

My mum's partner of 20 years passed away last month. They were never married, nor did he leave a will (due to illness, he was unable to communicate or write towards the end). My mum, upon cleaning out the house, has come across some letters belonging to her partner that were previously unopened from HMRC dating back to 2016 and demanding £4000+ in unpaid taxes. My mum is unable to access his bank account to determine if these taxes were ever paid, and we are concerned that it would be her responsibility to pay these (and any other unknown debt that may be outstanding). Given they were not married and did not share property, who would be responsible for paying these bills if indeed they remain outstanding? We were completely unaware of this debt until today.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Who is his next of kin? Who paid for funeral? Who registered death ?

Did he own his own property ?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If it's his personal debt your mum is not responsible. Don't let her offer to pay anything though because most creditors will say thanks very much and take it. I'd write a letter and include a death certificate so all creditors know what's happened.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Don't panic.

Don't pay anything to anybody unless the funds come out of his estate.
  • jenberry
    jenberry Posts: 107 Forumite
    74jax wrote: »
    Who is his next of kin? Who paid for funeral? Who registered death ?

Did he own his own property ?

My mum paid for the funeral and registered death. He didn't have a will and so the money went to his own mother. He did not own property.
  • jenberry
    If it's his personal debt your mum is not responsible. Don't let her offer to pay anything though because most creditors will say thanks very much and take it. I'd write a letter and include a death certificate so all creditors know what's happened.

Thank you. The problem is that my mum doesn't have £4,000 to spare and gave up working to look after him so money is an issue. I don't believe she should be responsible for this debt, especially as she didn't know about it, but then what I believe isn't really a consideration here!
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    edited 12 April 2018 at 6:01PM
    jenberry wrote: »
    He didn't have a will and so the money went to his own mother.
    The money shouldn't go straight to mum.

Funeral.

Clear debts.

Laws of intestacy if there's any left. That may not be his Mum.
    https://www.gov.uk/inherits-someone-dies-without-will
    I don't believe she should be responsible for this debt
    She isn't. But his money should be used to clear it before any individual inherits any of it.
  • jenberry
    The money shouldn't go straight to mum.

Funeral.

Clear debts.

Laws of intestacy if there's any left. That may not be his Mum.
    https://www.gov.uk/inherits-someone-dies-without-will

She isn't. But his money should be used to clear it before any individual inherits any of it.

I agree, though the funeral had already been paid for and his mother was listed as his closest family (it was then forwarded to his sister as mother is very elderly).
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My mum paid for the funeral and registered death. He didn't have a will and so the money went to his own mother. He did not own property.

Who gave the money to his mother? Was there enough money to pay his debts?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • jenberry
    I agree, though the funeral had already been paid for and his mother was listed as his closest family (it was then forwarded to his sister as mother is very elderly).

I should also mention that he had only a few hundred pounds to his name so not even enough to cover things like funeral costs.
  • jenberry
    Who gave the money to his mother? Was there enough money to pay his debts?

The life insurance plan he had been paying into only for a few months. It was sent to his mum but wouldn't have been enough to cover ay debts or funeral costs - just a few hundred pounds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure