need decking, on the cheap, any ideas?

im looking for reasonable priced decking for quite large area, anyone know of reasonable priced sellers?

Comments

• Wendyt
    Wendyt Posts: 14 Forumite
    Haldene Fisher in Banbridge was were we bought our decking wood and then put it down ourselves.....did a good sized area for under £200!!
  • steveymp
    steveymp Posts: 2,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    http://www.drenagh.co.uk/

Limavady area, but will deliver to your door, very reasonably priced I found when I did my decking.
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • avenida
    avenida Posts: 486 Forumite
    I personally would not recommend decking, I hate it! I have it myself and it is slippery when wet, high maintenance and apparently Ive been told in a hardware store that its an ideal place for race and mice to hide in. It has to be painted every year otherwise it looks awful after a bad winter.

Sorry but I would recommend you try something else unless you dont mind all the problems I just mentioned.
  • caz2703
    caz2703 Posts: 3,630 Forumite
    I have to agree with avenida on this. I too have been told that decking is a fantastic nesting & breeding ground for mice as generally there are gaps underneath decking where the mice can hide and not be disturbed. My in-laws also have decking and when it's wet it's quite difficult to negotiate and more than once I've lost my footing on it.

We had the choice of decking or paving the horrible crazy paving patio in our back garden and although the paving solution is dearer (even allowing for the 15% discount we got in B&Q during one of their promotions) it will be safer for the kids and dog as well as for ourselves. It should only need brushed and power hosed to keep it looking good but I will admit that it's a pain to lay yourself.
  • Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    edited 7 May 2010 at 4:17PM
    I've put decking down a few years back and it is high maintenance as people have been saying, but sometimes its the only option, especially if you need the floor level to be raised up.

If you need to use decking, buy hardwood.

If you don't need to use decking, pave it.

as for reasonable priced sellers, clady timber near Portglenone sell decking at a reasonable price and the deliver free.
  • dmxdave
    dmxdave Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I went into a big hardware place and a guy in orange overalls came over and asked me "did I want decking?"
    I managed to get the first punch in though

Sorry totally off topic
    Dave
  • avenida
    avenida Posts: 486 Forumite
    dmxdave wrote: »
    I went into a big hardware place and a guy in orange overalls came over and asked me "did I want decking?"
    I managed to get the first punch in though

Sorry totally off topic

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • dan2002
    dan2002 Posts: 535 Forumite
    hi was in B&Q last week and they had plastic decking down from £7.00 to £1.98 a plank,no more fading or mold growing and not as slippy as wood gave it a try
  • chunter
    chunter Posts: 2,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    avenida wrote: »
    I personally would not recommend decking, I hate it! I have it myself and it is slippery when wet, high maintenance and apparently Ive been told in a hardware store that its an ideal place for race and mice to hide in. It has to be painted every year otherwise it looks awful after a bad winter.

Sorry but I would recommend you try something else unless you dont mind all the problems I just mentioned.

so what you're looking for is cheap decking with a free cat.
    See homebase..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport