PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mother's Day Lunch ideas Needed

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place but I thought it would be a start. My mum has decided she doesn't want to go out for Mother's Day so I have offered to cook lunch for her at mine. Now - hear comes the problem, my mum is a great cook and no matter what I cook or how well I cook it she always seems to make a nasty comment about something - therefore I am looking at ideas as to what I can cook for lunch to wow her with.

Many thanks
You laugh because I'm different - I laugh because you're all the same

Comments

• scotgirl
    scotgirl Posts: 805 Forumite
    That is difficult if she always finds something to criticise, so you probably wanna stick to something you know how to cook or something quite simple - a nice roast for example, with some nice veggies - carrots glazed in honey and mustard, or red cabbage with red wine etc.

We had friends over for dinner on Saturday night and I did White Chocolate and Chilli brownies from the BBC Food website. They were simple to make but very impressive and they tasted lovely! We served them with ice cream.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/whitechocolatechilli_72899.shtml

Good luck.
    The Best Things in Life Are Free
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My Mum, Dad, MIL & FIL are coming over on Sunday for lunch with the five MATH's that makes nine. I can extend the table to seat us all but it's a lot of fad and most of the next week is spent bleaching, soaking, washing, starching, ironing my big damask stuff, I've not a lot of time so I'm doing a hot and cold buffet. Money is also tight so it's on a strick budget. This is what I'm serving.

Honey and mustard roast chicken thighs

Sticky honey sausages

Tossed salads

Coleslaw

Jacket potatoes

Strawberry Pavlova

Black Saturn's fruit cobbler (Peach) and custard

HTH

I've just re-read the OP and I'd missed the bit about the critism(sp). If any guest complained or make negative comments about my cooking (even my own Mother) I would pointendly inform them in front of the other guests that they are welcome to finish the meal but will NEVER EVER be invited back again. Don't stand for it, draw a firm line in the sand and watch out anyone who dares cross it.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • I fancy Sunday lunch at MATHS & I totally agree. Criticism is inappropriate. Dont stand for it. She can visit & bring food if she wants though & you can be a bigger person by not being mean about it.

BL
    Building an emergency fund and starting on the mortgage!
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    i wouldnt dream of saying anything about my daughters cooking if somebody goes to the bother of preparing a meal for you then it would be the height of bad manners to criticise, if i did say anything i can assure you my daughter wouldnt stay quiet nor should she, i only put that in in case she reads this lol
  • I wonder if she realises she's being critical - perhaps she actually thinks she's giving you helpful advise - us Mum's are like that!!!

Cook something that doesn't get you into a flap if the timing goes awry. As the weather's still so cold I'd cook some sort of stew - beef or coq au vin with baked potatoes.

Starter could then be pate and toast or melon, pud - icecream or Chocolate pots (if feeling adventurous) or just crumble if traditional.

Tara
  • What kind of food does she like? Hows about:

Starter:Pate on toast or Melon balls with raspberry coule
    Main:Lamb Cutlets, Parsnip Mash and minted gravy
    Desert:Strawberry shortcake
    Cheese and biscuits

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • kingshir
    kingshir Posts: 578 Forumite
    MATH wrote:

This all sounds fab and I'm going to copy it but what am I doing wrong with Black Saturns fruit Cobbler? Mine stayed all runny and did not go nice and spongey as I expected - I know it will my fault and I'm certainly not critiscing BS's recipes!
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    MATH wrote:
    My Mum, Dad, MIL & FIL are coming over on Sunday for lunch with the five MATH's that makes nine. I can extend the table to seat us all but it's a lot of fad and most of the next week is spent bleaching, soaking, washing, starching, ironing my big damask stuff, I've not a lot of time so I'm doing a hot and cold buffet. Money is also tight so it's on a strick budget. This is what I'm serving.

Honey and mustard roast chicken thighs

Sticky honey sausages

Tossed salads

Coleslaw

Jacket potatoes

Strawberry Pavlova

HTH

I've just re-read the OP and I'd missed the bit about the critism(sp). If any guest complained or make negative comments about my cooking (even my own Mother) I would pointendly inform them in front of the other guests that they are welcome to finish the meal but will NEVER EVER be invited back again. Don't stand for it, draw a firm line in the sand and watch out anyone who dares cross it.

MATH, love the sound of the sticky honey sausages, any chance of the recipe?
  • pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sounds like my mother! I might have MIL coming, she is on a diet though and her hubby is vegetarian (eats fish), So i will make a nice fish pie, if they come.
    Pawpurrs x ;)
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    I wonder if she realises she's being critical - perhaps she actually thinks she's giving you helpful advise - us Mum's are like that!!!

Tara

Sorry Tara I have to disagree with this statement, like Twink I would never criticise anyone's cooking.

If she doesn't appreciate the effort then I wouldn't bother invititng her round either.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport