EBAY GARDEN SEED SCAMS - Old Dead Seeds

Options
Beware buying seeds from UK suppliers - supposed nurseries - on Ebay. eg, premier_seeds_direct (571947, Seekay Garden Nurseries.

The seeds maybe cheap, at 99p a packet free post, but thats useless if they are dead, old stock.

These sellers are putting the full blame on gardeners for seeds not growing (see their feedback), and not even mentioning that old seed, badly stored by supplier, are the cheif reason seeds wont germinate.

Further, the number of seeds are below that stated, there is NO best before or harvest of seed date, and lastly the seed packets are not air-tight sealed - as they claim

COMPLAIN TO ASA, OR CONSUMER DIRECT?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,204 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The feedback doesn't appear to support your warning on the seller I looked at even if you take out those that merely leave positives for fast delivery. There are a number of people saying how successful seeds were, plus at 99.9% feedback and a power seller they can't be doing too much wrong.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • carly
    carly Posts: 1,414 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I tend to agree with OP

I have also had poor quality seeds from Premier seeds direct on eBay.

Extremely poor germination and seedlings died after a few days. I am an experienced gardener and don't usually have such problems.

I didn't take it up with the company for 99p, but I should have done so, to save subsequent buyers from the same problems.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 June 2019 at 1:17PM
    Options
    I use both suppliers no problems at all

premier_seeds_direct and Seekay Garden Nurseries.

Packets I have had are sealed, one in metal foil another in air tight small plastic bags (accept big seeds like peas) I have to cut the top off the plastic before I can undo the plastic air tight strip
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure