Former_MSE_Natasha Posts: 672 Forumite
edited 14 June 2010 at 1:48PM in Flights, currency & car hire
This thread is specifically to discuss
To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,991 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Surely they can no longer advertise prices that exclude the debit card fee as it is now impossible to avoid this?

I find this fee such a cheek - afaik that is a flat charge PER TRANSACTION of less than a pound that Ryanair pay for processing card payments but they then charge per person per flight segment so if 2 people book a return Ryanair charge £4 to cover a cost of about 50p - I wonder if there is this much mark-up on their other so called 'Taxes and Charges'. If Martin wanted to start a campaign on this I would be happy to lend any support.
    I think....
  • Like Michaels just said, I've always wondered about how Ryanair can legally charge a card transaction fee on a per person / per flight basis? I guess it would make sense if Ryanair then actually charged your card on those terms, but they don't. They will only charge your card for the entire cost (i.e. all people / all flights), so how do they get away with that from a legal point of view??

I really think someone with more financial/legal experience should look into this.

(Of course, should Ryanair even change their policy on card charges... you just know that Michael O'Leary will just move the charge somewhere else... what next, paying for the air you breath on his planes?!)
  • Ghirl
    Ghirl Posts: 477 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm confused about the fees. Here's their list: http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=CHARGES it says the baggage fee is £6 for the first bag per flight but when you go to book a flight it shows up as £9 per 1st bag. Anyone know why this is?

:confused:
  • I may be wrong but I think it's £6.00 for the bag and £3.00 to use the check in dest.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've heard that they are now fitting £1 'a go' coin slots on the toilet doors on the aircraft !

You could take your own, but they won't let bottles bigger than 100ml through security !

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Nikko5
    Nikko5 Posts: 99 Forumite
    michaels wrote: »
    Surely they can no longer advertise prices that exclude the debit card fee as it is now impossible to avoid this?

How do you figure that it is impossible [sic] to avoid if, when paying with an Electron card, there are NO additional card charges?!

If you book a lot of Ryanair flights, just get yourself a Visa Electron card (e.g. Halifax cardcash a/c).
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,988 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Still available for Easter holidays, just found them on Stanstead-Poitiers in April. Of course you still have to add taxes etc.
  • AHAR
    AHAR Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If Ryanair want to make profits from card charges, that's one thing - but adding a card fee for each person then charging a single amount to the card seems a very dubious practice to me.
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    AHAR wrote: »
    but adding a card fee for each person then charging a single amount to the card seems a very dubious practice to me.
    It's a fee per person PER FLIGHT - so your weekend trip to Girona = 2 charges per person
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Heres a sneaky way to avoid all those "rip off" charges

Dont book:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business