Help for Hearing Impairment

Comments

• I'm in a bit of an odd situation at the moment - I've recently qualified as a teacher and work part-time as a receptionist (on a zero-hour contract - I haven't had any work for about a fortnight). I'm hoping to start supply work soon - just as soon as the General Teaching Council receive notification that I passed the course and have QTS. I'm not currently claiming benefits but was on JSA earlier in the year. I live with my mum (a pensioner) who is also hearing impaired. Oh, and I have a deaf cat too! Quite a household!
    DFW Official Nerd Club #1070
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Whether you work or not your local Occupational Therapy department should be able to give you a vibrating alarm clock. Often called a ShakeAwake. Ask your doctor for a referral or buy one cheap on eBay. Will cost about £15. Failing that try

http://www.rnid.org.uk
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • Thanks Allydowd - I've learnt so much already from starting this thread! I hope others find it useful too!
  • lozzer90
    lozzer90 Posts: 3,079 Forumite
    Get in touch with your local Fire Station, They fitted me a smoke alarm & an alarm clock which has a vibrating pad you put under your pillow. Also if you have a Disability Solutions near you get in touch with them they will fit you a T- Loop system for your TV & a door bell that flashes when rung
    Start every day with a smile and get it over with. :D

• Mouseymousey - don't worry - you're not hijacking!! I thought a hearing thread might be useful so it's here for anyone and everyone!
    There's so much stuff I need to look into now! I never knew just how much help was out there (if you know where to look!) and all the different products too - I saw a vibrating watch which looks interesting... and like kethry said, the worst they can do is say no
  • Yes, great thread. Can I also offer the info that although not FREE, I have now got hold of a 'ring enhancer' through the RNID for my elderly and VERY cussed father that works so well, he is aware of the telephone ringing even from 2 rooms away!! It has a strobe light that flashes so brightly it reflects off any shiny surface so he doesn't have to be facing it to benefit as it seems to reflect all round the room, daytime or nighttime. It may well be a result! NOW he can't say he doesn't hear the phone! I've checked it by ringing his number from my mobile - VERY sneakily- whilst in the room with him and then pointing out that he HAS heard it! I think he's pretty well boxed in now!:rotfl:
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you for starting this thread :T:T we so need a deaf thread on MSE

I've found RNID good for equipment, and their customer service is brilliant. I've ordered several things from them including the crystal loop (which sadly, they don't do any more and the replacement's not so good for me) and the shakeawake which actually didn't wake me :D .

I didn't realise that I might get help from social services; When I lost my hearing very suddenly some years ago, I waited and waited and eventually gave up on an appointment that I was promised with a 'hearing adviser' - maybe that's the kind of info I would have been given if they had found someone who wanted the job!

I'm on IB so I'll be phoning SS tomorrow and hope they can give me a little support. I can't afford most of the RNID and Connevans kit and there are things that would be useful.

Incidentally, I use an old mobile phone (kept just for the purpose) as an alarm clock. One of the tunes wakes me even when I'm not wearing my hearing aids - I'm completely deaf to a lot of middle and lower range noises but high range I tend to hear better. I've spent many a night trying to sleep with aids in - its worse than wearing curlers as we used to in the 60's :D Its a case of trying things to find what works isnt it? ;)

Edited to say: I used to pick up hearing aid batteries whenever I was near the hospital; I mentioned there that I was giving up the car and wasn't sure how I would be able to get them (I'd previously been ticked off :naughty:at the hearing aid clinic for buying batteries) and I found out that I can get batteries from my own surgery! I'm not sure all surgeries carry them but worth checking ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Hi Rosieben - I've not used tham for a long while, but I thought audiology departments could post aids out to you?
    By the way, you've given away your age now ...... 1960's and curlers...
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Rosieben - I've not used tham for a long while, but I thought audiology departments could post aids out to you?
    By the way, you've given away your age now ...... 1960's and curlers...

you mean batteries I think? yes, audiology said they would post them to me and then suggested that getting them from my surgery would be easier; actually our surgery also said they could post them to me since I moved to the next village a few weeks ago but I'm usually visiting the surgery or can send my hearing aid book with a rellie so its quite easy to get them still.

the 60's ....... oh yes, I was there - even if I cant remember much of it :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • yep - I can only just....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills