Options
2»

Comments

• adaze
    adaze Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 August 2016 at 1:11PM
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing as OP. My BT 12 month deal is just about to expire.

**Thread Hijack!**

I have just started the ball rolling on a switch to DirectSave, for a rolling 1 month contract.

I was thinking that I run the DirectSave for a month, then sign up to the new BT deal (as its soooo much cheaper than others). Admittedly this deal ceases in a few days, and a new one wouldn't necessarily be available - but I'm OK with taking a punt to see what deals are around in a month.

Based on some of the responses, I would have to be a new BT customer (i.e. leave for 12 months). But how do they check, can they check and most importantly do they check? Would leaving for a month be sufficent? I could easily sign up again with different bank details and a different email address

BUT, my GF could in theory apply instead of me if the 12 month rule is enforced? I can't possibly see how this could be construed as fraudulent, as my contract has ended, and she would be taking out a new one.

So, to add to the OP's question. What is the best method of leaving BT and then re-joining ASAP? And what duration aligns with the best method. Would it be better (I.e. quicker and less hassle) to let the original (my) contract with BT expire, then just have my GF apply to BT for a new one?

Comments?

Edit: Forgot to add, moving to DirectSave, avoids any disconnection charge, and also means my broadband service continues with no down time.
  • Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    First of all, apologies if this has been answered elsewhere - I had a look and couldn't see anything.

I'm currently with BT for broadband, calls and TV, and my current 12 month contract expires next month. Rather than just continuing the contract with them, am I able to end my current contract, then start a new one with BT as a new customer? Hoping to do this, as currently can get £155 cashback, and it's also about £3 cheaper than my current deal.

Can't see any reason why not, but just wanted to ask those in the know!

Thanks!

We recently switched to BT broadband.
    When I made that call to ask BT to supply, we discussed termns, and importantly the costrs after the 12 month into period expired.

Whilst the salesperson did disclose the costs (which I have a feeling may not have been 100% accurate, or maybe I misheard?) what he certainly did say was to call back in 12 months and request a new offer i.e. better than just allowing the contract to roll on.

But based on the lies, lies, lies I have recently experineced by BT, I very much doubt they will agree this was suggested at all, and even if they do, won't make an offer if I do decide I want to stay with BT.

But it doesn't do any harm to ask, and if they do agree something, make them put it in writing to you! (or be prepared for them to later deny they said it)

You should hopefully get through to retentions, who may offer you something. But you need to have done your homework, understand what other offers are available to you elsewhere (because BT will know) and be prepared to switch if they want to play hard-nosed about it.

(As others have indicated, cashback offers via third party sites probably are not applicable to you as an existing BT customer)
  • adaze
    Options
    Bump. No-one had any experience of this? Looks like I'll be the first then! :eek:
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    adaze wrote: »
    Bump. No-one had any experience of this? Looks like I'll be the first then! :eek:

How do BT check its a phone line to xx premises on the database .Circa 12 months to return basically that is based upon many previous forum posts . Your BT members community forum may well say the same or give a better response .
    You are moving to a rolling contract so after a month or so try and sign up as a new customer .
  • wakeupalarm
    wakeupalarm Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    adaze wrote: »

Please post back and let us know when you swap back if it pays off.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    I left BT for SSE 3 months ago and now switched back to BT , i have had my £155 cashback track and i have claimed the £125 reward card and had a email to confirm its being sent.

So i would think you need to move to another provider and then switch back and you will then be classed as a new customer, not sure if anywhere do 1 month deals
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Apparently there are place that do monthly deals.

of you could try somewhere else for 12m and get free BB for a year
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 August 2016 at 12:43PM
    Options
    deanos wrote: »
    I left BT for SSE 3 months ago and now switched back to BT , i have had my £155 cashback track and i have claimed the £125 reward card and had a email to confirm its being sent.

So i would think you need to move to another provider and then switch back and you will then be classed as a new customer, not sure if anywhere do 1 month deals

If you had cut off with BT and then rejoined the next week like the op was hoping to do, I suspect the Quidco or Topcashback would have been refused. Perhaps you were lucky to get it, or maybe it was because you switched company and in reality BT system is not capable of knowing you left less than 12 months ago.
  • adaze
    Options
    deanos wrote: »

So update from me.

Left BT about 6 weeks ago and joined Direct Save Telecom, with the intention of going back to BT as there WAS a decent offer on 6 weeks ago. Of course when it came to switching back there were no BT offers around. I've just switched to Sky as they have a pretty decent deal, so unfortunately can't report on if I would be a new BT customer.

However I can report, that it really doesn't seem worth switching to Direct Save. The switch went fine, can't complain. However the speeds were pretty poor, certainly when compared to 38mb/s on fibre and the connection keeps dropping out.

Unfortunately it seems like Direct Save like to sneak a few pounds on to your bill for receiving a paper one. They never registered me for their website, despite repeated requests, so I could never see the online bills, plus they never disclosed this charge anywhere or gave you any option to opt out! That bumps the monthly price up to over £30 inc line rental.

Then the kicker is you have to give them 28 days notice in writing (i.e. a registered letter) or else they'll charge you £20 to leave. So I now have a situation where I need to get Sky to take over my line on exactly the 17th October or I'll either be charged £20 or my line will be cancelled. Its doable, but a pain in the !!!!!.

Simply put I would have been better off staying with BT for a few more weeks and then switched, would have been cheaper and a lot less hassle......

So the switching to a monthly contract is possible, but you need to keep your finger on the button!
  • kittennose
    kittennose Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is completely untrue.

You are classed as a new customer the second you terminate your contract (either by joining another provider who will tell BT to cancel the account and associated services, or by simply terminating your account with BT in which case you could lose your number).

I do this every 12-18 months in order to get the best deals with BT. As soon as my contract ends, I join another "monthly" provider and the day that goes live I re-join BT and get all the goodies they offer, such as £250 pre-loaded credit cards, gadgets, free BT sport, free TV whatever it may be. Plus the latest modem/router and of course, the preferential £££ rate.

Rinse & repeat every 12 or 18 months depending on your contract length.

Saying you must wait 12 months or 3 months is utter rubbish.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure