Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ToonArmy12
    • By ToonArmy12 26th May 19, 11:54 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ToonArmy12
    Need advice on Dental Work abroad please.
    • 26th May 19, 11:54 PM
    Need advice on Dental Work abroad please. 26th May 19 at 11:54 PM
    Hi guys

I am a 26 year old male who has been incredibly insecure about my teeth for a long time, I have decided to try and do something about it this year but I don't know where to start or who to go to about getting these done looking for some advice, preferably i want to travel abroad as cost is a lot cheaper.

I need my two front teeth taking out and replacing with implants as they look terrible there a few other teeth that need work veneers ? I also have 3 teeth missing all molars that i would like replacing.

Can someone please point me in the right direction or how to go about getting these done.

Many Thanks
Page 1
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 27th May 19, 7:41 AM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 3,995 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 27th May 19, 7:41 AM
    • 27th May 19, 7:41 AM
    26 is very young to need so much work doing. Is this what a dentist says you need?

Hopefully you are going to a dentist regularly and are making the changes you need to , to stop further damage ie your diet is good , your cleaning is excellent , you are not smoking , if you have diabetes that is under control etc. Otherwise any money you spend will be wasted as the complex work you say you need will be short lived.

What does your dentist say you need?

Work on the scale you are proving will not be quick, it will take months to do properly with many visits. It will require maintainance afterwards ,and as a U.K. dentist will not touch implants done abroad , and this will need to be sorted at the same dentist.

For these reasons , and particularly for you , going abroad for long, complex treatment is a bad idea. You are better off going to a dentist in the U.K. who can treatment plan you appropriately and look after your long term dental health.
    Last edited by brook2jack; 27-05-2019 at 7:58 AM.
    • welshdent
    • By welshdent 27th May 19, 8:58 PM
    • 1,889 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    welshdent
    • 27th May 19, 8:58 PM
    • 27th May 19, 8:58 PM
    In my experience especially seeing work done abroad the old adage of pay cheap buy twice come to mind. And no I am not trying to protect my own income. The dentistry I have seen done you couldnt pay me enough to do myself. You have limited recourse if anything goes wrong and few UK dentists will be able to or willing to correct especially if it is involving implants or complex crown and bridge and veneer work.

Regards implants. Most dentists unless actively placing them, will not be insured to maintain or manage them. indemnity is just too high to do this. So if you have them done abroad you may struggle to get someone in the UK to look after them.
    They are NOT fit and forget and require a good amount of care and maintenance to look after them.
    • ToonArmy12
    • By ToonArmy12 27th May 19, 10:14 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ToonArmy12
    • 27th May 19, 10:14 PM
    • 27th May 19, 10:14 PM
    So what are my options then because i cannot afford to get implants done in England it's just not possible at around 2500 a tooth, they make me incredibly depressed I never smile in photos people think i am so miserable when in fact its just my teeth, If i go abroad and get them done is the chance high that I will have problems
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 28th May 19, 5:16 AM
    • 2,127 Posts
    • 8,219 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    • 28th May 19, 5:16 AM
    • 28th May 19, 5:16 AM
    What has your dentist suggested in the way of whitening/ straightening/ crowns? All of which are lower maintenance than implants.

Also is there a dental teaching hospital in your town?
    May 19 grocery challenge 100.79/ 200
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 28th May 19, 6:25 AM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 3,995 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 28th May 19, 6:25 AM
    • 28th May 19, 6:25 AM
    Teaching hospitals will not do implants or veneers or cosmetic work.

Op what is your own dentists opinion on what work you need? Do you have a regular dentist?
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 28th May 19, 9:18 AM
    • 9,088 Posts
    • 10,919 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    • 28th May 19, 9:18 AM
    • 28th May 19, 9:18 AM
    If i go abroad and get them done is the chance high that I will have problems
    Originally posted by ToonArmy12
    It's more that if you have them done without understanding how you got into such a position with your teeth - and don't change the habits that got you there - then anything you spend on such advanced work will also crumble, and you'll be in an even worse position.

As Brook has repeated above - What has your dentist said about it? Have you seen a dentist? Are you a regular attender, or someone who only turns up when agony forces you to?

If you're wanting a better mouth, there are several steps in getting there if you want the result to have any chance of lasting.

1. Find a dentist you are happy to see regularly, over the long term.
    2. Initial treatment plan. This will involve getting out things that can't be saved, doing 'provisional' treatments like simple fillings, dentures to fill gaps where things show, or you need teeth to maintain function, but the BIG thing about this phase of treatment will be teaching you what has gone wrong, how you can improve your diet , how can you improve your oral hygiene, and what habits or other factors may have contributed to the position you're in now. The provisional stage should get you into a much happier place where you will feel much better about your teeth.
    3. Review
    4. Review
    5. Review

As many reviews that are necessary over the weeks, months and years it takes to check you've got the message and that things have stabilized. If more teeth fail, they can be removed and added to the denture, This is all quite simple and much cheaper than implants (And especially implant failures!)

Once things are stable, you feel better about your teeth, and you have a relationship of trust with your dentist, then you can move on to more advanced stuff as and when it's deemed suitable.

The problem with going somewhere a long way from home for a 'quick fix' is that all the initial stages are missed out. You just go for a few flying visits, and get your mouth 'sorted out'.

There is very little proper initial assessment, no 'staging' to the treatment, and hardly any aftercare.
    Last edited by Toothsmith; 28-05-2019 at 9:20 AM.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 28th May 19, 7:15 PM
    • 1,426 Posts
    • 1,472 Thanks
    Beenie
    • 28th May 19, 7:15 PM
    • 28th May 19, 7:15 PM
    ToonArmy, are you under the impression that implants are a 'one off' treatment? You will need more than one visit to the dentist, and if s/he's abroad, the costs will rack up.

My husband is having three implants done. Visit 1 for x-rays, visit 2 for preliminary work, visit 3 for suture removal, visit 4 for taking of moulds and visit 5 for the actual fitting. In the meantime the dentist prescribed antibiotics and rang our home the day after visit 2 (this was when the drilling into the bone took place and is the worst aspect of implants). So we had good clinical care and after-care.

I wouldn't like to risk any treatment abroad myself as I don't see how the work can be carried out to the proper standard, especially as you are only a fleeting visitor and will not have a trusting patient/clinician relationship with the overseas dentist.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,557Posts Today

7,855Users online

Martin's Twitter