Debt Goals

Comments

• Having an accurate budget and tracking it regularly makes SUCH a difference. I try and log spending daily and check my balance /budget first thing in the morning - keeps me on track :).

And yes, if it ain't in the budget it doesn't happen!

Hi :wave:

I'm so excited for pay day - I have put all the direct debits that come out of the bank already into the spreadsheet as well as the debts that I pay monthly (I pay everything within 2-3 days of pay day). I have allocated whats left to the budgets.

Thanks for the tip - I've got to stick to it now :)

x
  • Martah
    Martah Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hey,

I just came across your diary as I’m looking for motivation as like yourself I find journey to freedom from debt being very slooow.

So different than getting in debt with a nice quick beep.

Well done on starting your diary ��

I completely relate to not wanting to put the whole number of debt down publicly but I do feel you need to know the approximate date of being debt free. My one is 4.5 years away ��(hopefully sooner).

Have you tried online surveys sw*gbucks or I s*y?
    Its always something, I signed up in March and made about £70, all went towards paying off cc. Also taking pictures of your receipts on shoopix app.

I hope you will sign back up to pension as I gather from your diary it was an nhs one. Just met with my friend from Canada the other day and her nhs pension after 7 years of paying in is higher than Canadian one that she paid in for over 30 years.
    Have your friend from Germany over for dinner much cheaper than going out.

Good luck
  • Martah wrote: »
    Hey,

I just came across your diary as I’m looking for motivation as like yourself I find journey to freedom from debt being very slooow.

So different than getting in debt with a nice quick beep.

Well done on starting your diary ��

I completely relate to not wanting to put the whole number of debt down publicly but I do feel you need to know the approximate date of being debt free. My one is 4.5 years away ��(hopefully sooner).

Have you tried online surveys sw*gbucks or I s*y?
    Its always something, I signed up in March and made about £70, all went towards paying off cc. Also taking pictures of your receipts on shoopix app.

I hope you will sign back up to pension as I gather from your diary it was an nhs one. Just met with my friend from Canada the other day and her nhs pension after 7 years of paying in is higher than Canadian one that she paid in for over 30 years.
    Have your friend from Germany over for dinner much cheaper than going out.

Good luck

Hi Martah :wave:

I know what you mean - it's been a long slow process for me - this has been down to the fact that I've just not been in the right frame of mind to tackle it - I have been through a lot but that's no excuse .. I was in total denial... it's been so easy to put "things/bills" on the credit card/overdraft thinking I'll pay it off ... and then life throws a curveball at you!

This is actually my 2nd diary - (sorry I dont know how to link) and I'm actually very focused now - I have a goal... I want to retire debt free (that's if I can afford to retire !)- and yes I will be rejoining the nhs pension scheme - I need to sort the paperwork out and its on my list of jobs to do. Crikey your friend must have got a shock at that pension!

I envisage to be debt free within 4 years and hopefully mortgage free within 9-10 years (or sooner once the debt is gone)!

I'm focusing on acknowledging what I have paid off rather than what I owe :o We should be debt free around the same time :j

I will try and find your diary and offer support :)

A lot of members do on line surveys but it has never ever appealed to me for some reason - although you have done very well :T

Same with eb*y... I've tried it but hate the process - I never know how much postage is etc. I don't have anything to sell these days.

I've decided to drive so the night won't be expensive - just a couple glasses of diet coke with a packet of crisps thrown in for good measure !

Many thanks for your good wishes
    x
  • scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Just found you, am posting to say Hi, then headed for my bed since its gone 3am! Will be back to have a read and hopefully can help cheer you on while you clear the current debt.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Morning, you sound very committed to sorting your debt...hope you can make some inroads into your goals.

Regarding the vet visit, we opted to put our old boy to sleep rather than go forward on the meds/constant check ups and blood tests. We felt it kinder than the stress for all of us. If you decide to keep medicating then please check the prices of the drugs from your vets against those online, your vet can give you a prescription to enable you to buy cheaper elsewhere.

Also birthdays, maybe it's time to reign them in, we no longer buy for anyone other than children in the family and their last gift is on their 16th birthday. We suggested it and the rest of the family jumped on board. Saves a fortune and most people are financially struggling now a days so eases the burden on everyone.

Have you completed a SOA to see any other issues that need addressing/working in to your budget? Always an eye opener.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • scubaangel wrote: »
    Just found you, am posting to say Hi, then headed for my bed since its gone 3am! Will be back to have a read and hopefully can help cheer you on while you clear the current debt.

Hi Sucbaangel :wave:

I was up late too reading diaries !

Would love the support thank you - I'll try and find your diary to see your journey too x

P.S. Tut - its in your signature ! subscribed
  • Pooky wrote: »
    Morning, you sound very committed to sorting your debt...hope you can make some inroads into your goals.

Regarding the vet visit, we opted to put our old boy to sleep rather than go forward on the meds/constant check ups and blood tests. We felt it kinder than the stress for all of us. If you decide to keep medicating then please check the prices of the drugs from your vets against those online, your vet can give you a prescription to enable you to buy cheaper elsewhere.

Also birthdays, maybe it's time to reign them in, we no longer buy for anyone other than children in the family and their last gift is on their 16th birthday. We suggested it and the rest of the family jumped on board. Saves a fortune and most people are financially struggling now a days so eases the burden on everyone.

Have you completed a SOA to see any other issues that need addressing/working in to your budget? Always an eye opener.

Morning Pooky :wave:

Yes - me too - I just knew I needed to make the commitment to change (I just didnt take it seriously previously) - I want to retire debt free and the years are creeping by very quickly :eek:

The vet process is stressful - and I'm on a watch and wait with my old cat - if i have to go often to the vets and shes struggling at home - then I'll know :( At the moment the stress is with the car journey and obviously the finances and if they go higher - and being woken up at 4am by her :) The vet did suggest it may be cheaper on line but DH said it wasnt much.

We always "do" birthdays for the children and in our family 21 has been the cut off. I'm trying to factor in the budget now so I'm more prepared.

DH has a tight reign on the household finances Pooky and I just contribute my share. I would say the only room for improvement if I'm honest would be with the TV package - which I'm working on with him to reduce ! Otherwise he is on the ball with it all.

I am starting to take more interest as i have tended to leave that side of things to him (this has always been the pattern) and now that I have created a spreadsheet for personal finances - I want to create one for the household as well.

I've just got to be careful I don't get overwhelmed and stressed with the finances and whilst I know household is taken care of and i'm restarting my efforts at tackling debt in the way i'm comfortable with, then I'm making progress at this stage :)

I do think you're right about an "eye opener" - and I suspect I'll win on the TV package :rotfl

x
  • It's been a rollacoaster 24 hours !

Pay day has been and gone. Not all direct debits have gone out yet but when they do I will reconcile against my spreadsheet. I have updated my signature as my final loan payment has been paid this month and that "biggy" is now closed.

I had a telephone call at 5am this morning to say an ambulance had been called out for my mum as my brother thought she had had a stroke - it turned out not to be that but a hypo and possibly an infection... when I turned up at her house she was in such a mess and it was so pityful to see her like that. Once I cleaned her up we went to hospital. She also has Dementia and Altzheimers an remembers everyone visiting her accept me being with her - i know its not personal but the condition she has and I wouldnt wish it on anyone.

I too have diabetes and if the truth be known, I don't really look after myself and it is a bit of an eye opener of what could be down the road ahead if I dont.

It was so sad to see all the "dear old girls" on the ward and i'm feeling very subdued tonight. The excitement over the weekend of a spreadsheet that I need to stick too seems to have withered away but I will try and stick to the plan as best I can.

The vet trip has been cancelled and I'll need to rearrange that.

I know we are short staffed in work but emergencies happen. Hopefully mum will be discharged tomorrow and I've booked the day off in case.

There are some lovely people - the car parking cost £5.50 and I didnt have enough change - a lovely couple gave me a £1 - thank you to you both - it was only a £1 in their eyes but in mine it was more than that - the act of giving without receiving.

I used to be able to do that before I was in debt and I was quite generous - I'd like to be able to do more of the giving. I dont have the cash but I can in other ways, by kind gestures like what was passed to me today. I do do this when I can but in hindsight I could be more proactive.

I just wish I didnt have worries and could just sit and read or whatever without a care in the world - just being happy an content with my lot. I bet I'm not alone in that thought xx
  • scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I'm sorry to hear about your Mum, hope shes on the mend and back home soon as she can be.

You can be generous without financial impact - my work have as one of our "pillars" that while working we should have a generous spirit - I've found that for me one of the most rewarding things I've started doing is as simple as telling someone who's clothing or style I've noticed and admire that I like it - I suspect sometimes it comes over as creepy but I try to be normal! Cost me nothing but a few seconds of my time but hopefully it makes someone feel good, and if they pay it forward even better.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • scubaangel wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear about your Mum, hope shes on the mend and back home soon as she can be.

You can be generous without financial impact - my work have as one of our "pillars" that while working we should have a generous spirit - I've found that for me one of the most rewarding things I've started doing is as simple as telling someone who's clothing or style I've noticed and admire that I like it - I suspect sometimes it comes over as creepy but I try to be normal! Cost me nothing but a few seconds of my time but hopefully it makes someone feel good, and if they pay it forward even better.

I like that scuba "generous spirit" - I believe I do have one :)

I doubt you come across creepy as who doesn't like to receive a compliment :)

Thanks for your kind words about mum - much appreciated x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport