MSE Blog: Tesco’s Double The Difference policy left me nearly £50 richer

"As creatures of habit, my fianc! and I tend to go food shopping for the week on a Saturday afternoon. But one particular visit to Tesco was anything but routine…"

Read the full MSE blog:
Tesco’s Double The Difference policy left me nearly £50 richer

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 May 2014 at 10:10AM
    Your maths is a bit suspect ?
    you where originally charged £80 ( £10 * 8 ) - NOT £56 ( £7 * 8 )- and got £48 pounds back - so you paid £32 for 8 boxes

(EDIT : the blog has been changed since I originally wrote this )
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 May 2014 at 9:35AM
    I can understand the glee at noticing you had been overcharged the first time, and that you would qualify for a double refund. If you'd left it there, it would have been a nice story.

But going back for more so you can effectively rip-off Tesco (yes, this is in essence what you are doing), [text removed by MSE Forum Team]. Embarrassing and shameful!
  • Scritti
    Scritti Posts: 335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 May 2014 at 9:35AM
    VT82 wrote: »
    But going back for more so you can effectively rip-off Tesco (yes, this is in essence what you are doing), [text removed by MSE Forum Team] Embarrassing and shameful!

[text removed by MSE Forum Team] Wow, that was rude! Embarrassing and shamefully rude in fact.

I'd just say she exploited "the system". And being as it's Tesco (rip-off Tesco?? Heaven forbid!) and not Dr Barnardo's, I'd exploit the system if I had the opportunity too. Good for her, I say!
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 May 2014 at 1:52AM
    It must have taken a while to get around to reporting this story I have been buying 30 Ariel Pods from Tesco during the past week for £5 each not £7. So the blogger got them for £4 each (see dlusman's post above) instead of £5 saving £8 in all. Not quite as impressive as the "nearly £50" claimed.
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    How can two staffers make such an elementary and easy mistake?
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Nada666 wrote: »
    How can two staffers make such an elementary and easy mistake?

And the post made it onto the weekly email. Very poor standards for people who claim to be "experts".
  • Thanks all for flagging the miscalculation in this piece. This has now been corrected.

So as each box cost MSE Paloma £10 and she received £6 cash back for each box, she essentially bought packs of 30 washing pods for £4 each.

The saving means she's now got 240 washing pods for a £32 spend.
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    The old raging tesco debate...should she have gone back for more?

Been ongoing since I joined the site in 2004. Where does a bargain turn into greed?
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    bylromarha wrote: »
    Been ongoing since I joined the site in 2004. Where does a bargain turn into greed?

Here's an example (just from post #7, not by the original poster):

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4978867

I think totallybored should cross New York off their holiday destinations bucket list.
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I didn't know tesco still did double the difference?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure