Advice needed please - letter from Restons

Options
CurlySue2017
CurlySue2017 Posts: 463 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 30 May 2018 at 8:56AM in Debt-free wannabe
I really need some advice please.

My partner received two letters around a week ago from Arrow Global, claiming that he owes two separate balances on bank loans dated back in 2009. These loans have separate reference numbers, yet they are stated as being taken out within days of eachother, from the same lender and are for wildly differing amounts - one is circa £2k, the other is over £12k!

Yesterday he received letters from Restons regarding these two amunts and demanding payments, they have included a big form for him to fill in all his incone / expenditure details etc.

What is worrying is that the first line of the letters from Restons both say:

"We write following the award of a County Court Judgement against you in favour of our client"

And they are basically threatening an attachment of earnings order against him.

We have lived at our current address for over two years and the previous one for 2 - 3 years and have heard nothing about this in all that time. This is the first thing we have ever received to do with this so called debt so we have no knowldege of any CCJ's. His credit report has literally nothing on there - they can't produce a report because there is not enough financial history.

We are panicking because the letter says he must reply by today (30th) but he only received the letter yesterday and we have had no time to take any advice.

Is there a way to check if he maybe has a CCJ registered at an older address?

Or is there any need to panic given that this dates back to 2009?

I didn't know what to include in the OP but if more info is needed I am happy to update - never done anything like this before, so don't really know what info is needed.

Really worried and would appreciate any advice :(

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sorry for the lack of help but if it!!!8217;s urgent and you need advice today I suggest calling the national debt line number and they will help you through the process.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 30 May 2018 at 10:55AM
    Options
    It would depend when the CCJ was granted, only stays on your credit file six years, so may of dropped off.

Check trust on line see if anything shows there.

To hold things up a bit, write back asking for details of the judgment order.

There are various ways to deal with this, depending on the dates.

Judgements over 6 years old would need permission of the court to be enforced.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • CurlySue2017
    Options
    Thank you.

The timescale is the issue though I think and also what is causing me to panic quite a lot.

Before we moved in together, OH was terrible with money and he doesn't have any idea which address he would have been at when (and indeed if) a CCJ was ever granted. All we know for sure is that it wasn't during the last 4 (close to 5) years because he has lived with me and if anything had arisen, I would have made sure it was dealt with.

We have discussed this and he now understands that "head in the sand" never works, but what's done is done and we can't go back. I just want to make sure we have a clean slate going forward.

So on the credit check, we were only required to enter the last three years address details which we did and I am seriously worried that if we link back to his older addresses (although we didn't get the option to add any older ones) this will open a massive can of worms and I'm very careful about finances, so I am terrified how this will play out.

But then we can't check for any CCJ's that may be older.....catch 22.

I am also afraid to write back to them, because I have read that as soon as you engage, they ramp up the threats and with other family issues going on (father is very ill), I can't cope with bailiffs turning up at the door and all that sort of thing.

This is all such a mess, I really do just want to cry :(
  • sourcrates
    Options
    I know it appears to be a daunting prospect, but these companies can be easily handled.

There time scales are of little importance, they are attempting to illicet a reaction from you, thats all.

Further enforcement action costs money, with no guarantee they will recoup it, its 99% bluff most of the time.

Do as advised before write and ask for judgement details, raising a dispute will put everything on hold.

Knowing when or even if, judgement was granted, will help you deal with this.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • CurlySue2017
    Options
    It is very daunting indeed, but I will do as advised, thankyou.

So sorry about this but can I just clarify - do we send the letter just asking for the judgement details and leave it at that, or do we need to send the prove it letter that is saved on here somewhere (I have seen it but can't remember where just at the moment) and mention about the alleged judgements in there?
  • sourcrates
    edited 30 May 2018 at 12:57PM
    Options
    It is very daunting indeed, but I will do as advised, thankyou.

So sorry about this but can I just clarify - do we send the letter just asking for the judgement details and leave it at that, or do we need to send the prove it letter that is saved on here somewhere (I have seen it but can't remember where just at the moment) and mention about the alleged judgements in there?

What is not clear is if legal action was taken on both debts or just one.

You could adapt the provit letter asking for evidence of the CCJ and asking them to clarify the current position regarding both debts.

As things stand the whole situation is hazy and needs clarification.

When legal action has been taken it removes the obligation to provide evidence .
  • sourcrates
    Options
  • CurlySue2017
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    What is not clear is if legal action was taken on both debts or just one.

You could adapt the provit letter asking for evidence of the CCJ and asking them to clarify the current position regarding both debts.

As things stand the whole situation is hazy and needs clarification.

When legal action has been taken it removes the obligation to provide evidence .

Both letters are exacty the same - literally word for word, just the account numbers and amounts are different and also the dates of the alleged loans are seperated by a day or two so I would assume that IF they have taken action, they have taken it on both.

If we could be sure that this was six years old then I wouldn't be so worried, but we are unsure.

I will send the prove it letter and also add a bit in there to ask for the CCJ details and see what we get back.

Thankyou again for your advice.
  • sourcrates
    Options
    If you need further help, feel free to post back again.
  • CurlySue2017
    Options
    So after taking the advice from here and speaking to National Debtline, we have checked the register and the CCJ's for these loans have indeed been granted at an old address, so we knew nothing about them until today. That was in 2014 so well within the six years and they are now looking to enforce.

I cannot tell you how scared I am.

What do we do now?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family