Tesco 'planning' new discount chain called Jacks

Options

Comments

• B_M
    B_M Posts: 714 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm not a fan of Tesco, but if one of the Big 4 supermarkets could achieve this, then I'd back Tesco.
    To late? Who knows, but Lidl and Aldi aren't as cheap as they once were, so maybe a good time to try it out.
    As long as the range is different from the normal Tesco range (ie similar to Aldi and Lidl), I can see it working.
    Locations could be a major bearing though. Are they going to build nice new Lidl-type supermarkets?
    We'll see, but I wouldn't dismiss it.
    No payments from financial products from cash back sites? Put in a complaint direct and if they don't resolve your issue, head straight to the financial ombudsman - it costs the company £550 in referral fees, win or lose.
  • B_M
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 February 2018 at 11:11AM
    Options
    If this was suggested a year or so ago, I would have said too late.
    But, now may well be the right time. They may not initially hit Aldi and Lidl hard, but I can see them taking away custom from the other large supermarkets.
    I know the BIG BOYS have copied Aldi and Lidl to a degree, competing sometimes with the Aldi 'Super 6'. The Super 6 isn't as cheap as it once was (taking Xmas out of the equation) and Lidl's 'Weekend' offers aren't nearly as good as when it was their 'Half Price Weekend'.
    I do think the large supermarkets underestimated Aldi and Lidl and no doubt the financial crisis of 2007!!!8211;2008 helped the smaller discounters. At the bottom end, many families are still struggling, so getting them to change may be difficult.
    Just my thoughts and I may well be well off the mark. I'd welcome the competition though and hope it comes off.
    No payments from financial products from cash back sites? Put in a complaint direct and if they don't resolve your issue, head straight to the financial ombudsman - it costs the company £550 in referral fees, win or lose.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Isn't this what Iceland is doing with Food Warehouse?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used to buy a lot of the Tesco cheap brands years ago - but, over time, they've dropped them... until there are none left that I buy, so I don't go in there.

Why go to all the expense of new stores/branding etc etc when all they needed to do was roll out their old cheaper brands again?!

They did a great 20p tinned spag bol (now 38p), cheap meatballs in tomato sauce (now 60p), and a chilled chicken curry for 95p (disappeared completely) - and they used to sell long-life bread ....and all sorts of exciting food.... but they dropped them all .... bit by bit.
  • B_M
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 February 2018 at 11:12AM
    Options
    Hopefully it's not a return to those days as it was messy. The new Lidl stores are very good now, even with self-service tills.
    What I would like to see if more bulk buying offers, on basics etc.
    I've seen Aldi do 24 tins of tomatoes at a discounted price, so I'll like to see something along those lines. Obviously an opportunity to buy single or smaller packs, but also bulk buying discounts.
    'Pile it high, sell it cheap' - now where have I heard that before?
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    RHemmings wrote: »
    Isn't this what Iceland is doing with Food Warehouse?

We're getting a new Food Warehouse - I wondered what it was.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Doesn't surprise me, Tesco is pretty good at this supermarket thing.

They used to be. Not any more.

Their pre-tax profits were over two billion in in 2013 and 2014.

They made a six billion loss in 2015, and have made very small profits for the last two years.

Current revenue is still 10% down on 2013, and shareholder dividends are just 1.5%,compared to a historic 4%.

The company has lost almost half its value in five years.

https://uk.webfg.com/equity/Tesco
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 17 February 2018 at 11:14AM
    Options
    Likewise. I've visited one a few times just out of curiosity, but it's just a big Iceland in reality, with easier parking. No real difference in prices, or anything else, and the same abysmal level of customer service which 'Which?' picked up on this month.
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    If Tesco concentrated on utilising their floor staff better, their costs would drop dramatically! Im sick of going into my local tesco (which I tend to avoid more and more these days) and seeing several staff, often supervisors, stood around nattering. If this is happening in all of their stores then thats a huge cost to the company!

Lidl and Aldi at least keep their staff on the go!
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If Tesco concentrated on utilising their floor staff better, their costs would drop dramatically! Im sick of going into my local tesco (which I tend to avoid more and more these days) and seeing several staff, often supervisors, stood around nattering. If this is happening in all of their stores then thats a huge cost to the company!

Lidl and Aldi at least keep their staff on the go!

Good point! And it applies to all the supermarkets apart from Aldi and Lidl. It staggers me how slow the checkout operators are in all supermarkets bar those two (quite apart from all the other staff) - and it's just one more reason to avoid them. It just takes too long!

Aldi and Lidl staff work much harder than the others - but they do get paid better and when you talk to them about it they seem actually to enjoy being kept busy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure