PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help please! Can I get a mortgage as a student?

2»

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Never ever rent out a property that has sentimental value :eek:

Memories are in your head. I've owned 8 properties now, some with much sentimental value. I look back fondly, with love even, but didn't need to hang onto them for that. I know we're all different - but please think VERY carefully about renting it out! Big mistake.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • I spent six years living in hospital accommodation - I would definitely not assume that young Doctors make good tenants, have seen a lot of evidence to the contrary!
  • I don't think that what you're trying to do would be viable without a better income, and if it was then the levels of interest would cripple you.

If your goal is to have a bigger property, then the way to do it might be to sell your current property and buy a bigger property that's worth the same. It may be a house that needs work, or it may be in a slightly cheaper area.

Of course, those things involve making compromises - you may not like those areas as much, or you may not want to do work that needs doing, or you may need to travel further to places of study....

You have to weigh up what the most important factors around home ownership and how that affects your life are at the moment and decide if it's possible to do any of those things, or if actually your home location / it's current decor/repair/etc are preferable despite being slightly smaller.
  • juniordoc
    juniordoc Posts: 366 Forumite
    Once you qualify you will have very little control over where in the UK you work (unless you are keen on the very least popular areas) so the career is not particularly compatible with home ownership until you get to specialty training level.
    Also the stress of being a landlord is something you could do without on top of med school study intensity/ newly qualified doctor life.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you won't sell your flat (sentimental reasons??) it will be years before you can buy a bigger place unless you are on a joint mortgage with your partner after you qualify and are in your first job. Joint ownership can also bring problems and you have an unoccupied flat which you will have to pay Council Tax on plus utilities as renting out is not recommended.

Finally WhiskyJoe sounds a very inappropriate user name for a mature medical student!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • MonkeyDr
    MonkeyDr Posts: 143 Forumite
    juniordoc wrote: »
    Once you qualify you will have very little control over where in the UK you work (unless you are keen on the very least popular areas) so the career is not particularly compatible with home ownership until you get to specialty training level.
    Also the stress of being a landlord is something you could do without on top of med school study intensity/ newly qualified doctor life.

I don't necessarily agree with this. I owned a flat while a mature medical student. Had lodgers. Lived in it for years afterwards, while working in a v competitive geographical area (London), and always in the specialties of my choice. Maybe I was lucky. Maybe I chose the location really well (a few of my posts were in walking or cycling commuting distance).

Career can be entirely compatible with home ownership, although I agree that some flexibility may be needed. Plus, the OP already owns it!
  • London I would not say is typical of the rest of the country, I think you probably were quite lucky.
    OP is talking about purchasing a second property to the one he/she already owns. Obviously they can't do anything about the location of the first property.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    juniordoc wrote: »
    London I would not say is typical of the rest of the country, I think you probably were quite lucky.
    OP is talking about purchasing a second property to the one he/she already owns. Obviously they can't do anything about the location of the first property.
    This is bang on- London's a bit of a one-off. The vast majority of the UK consists of cities who don't have multiple medical schools or so many teaching hospitals in the same geographical area.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 January 2018 at 11:21AM
    You can have a mortgage dependent on your income-being a student is not the point. A joint mortgage will depend on you and your partner's joint income, which you haven't told us. Nor have you told us how much you would need to borrow after the deposit. Without the basic info, no-one can really help you further.
    As pointed out above, incurring a CGT liability for sentimental reasons is absurd. If you want to be a professional LL and the figures work, then fine-but don't be an amateur one because you can't bear to sell it!
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    You own the property outright, no mortgage keep it like that.
    Relationships are very rocky, why jeopardize something that you own outright.
    How about turning the living room into a bedroom and rent that out. That way you would have an income and still be mortgage free, which is the best feeling n the world.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure