NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived

Options

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Janus a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? 12 months: debt free (exc BTL mtge - but target of 4K ops) A decent no of jobs completed from our 'to do' list for the house (some are small, some are big/ long term/ expensive) Fitter. Hopefully with 2 children at uni. Pensions sorted.
    Today - £9.02 transferred to BTL mtge (to round off the balance :D)

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect an old one. ALSO, be active. Keep moving. - Re-start Zumba. Not today! However, taking down most of the Xmas decs has meant I've had more than 2 hours of active minutes according to my fitbit and have burned 2731 calories - and done my 10k steps - so I'll take that for today :T:D

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?) (not fussed if I don't achieve this as long as budgets aren't blown) 1/18
    -your budgets are set by the start of the month and are fixed.
    Food - 23.15/£400 -small spend at Tesc0 today -went in for Frooobs and scored some good YS items and also some other things we use on decent offers
    Fuel - £65 (will need to buy this tomorrow - would have got it when out earlier if I'd realised)
    Toiletries - £10
    Household - 3.72 /£20 - some AA batteries needed
    Clothes - £60
    Social - £100 (includes takeaway for DS2's bday)
    Gifts - £50
    -£5 to foodbank / charity - Direct debit to charity set up. Also got some babyfood free through a shopping app which I will donate to foodbank
    -pay money to your debts/savings FIRST - day to day CCs paid off in full. Some money transferred to kitchen fund. My tax bill paid in full (£565)
    -meal plan - I don't do this. OH hates meal planning. However, I am targeting stuff which needs using up first, even if only for me.

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens... -ok
    Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read. ok! Nothing bought. 6 things added to CS pile today.

Stretch challenge - aim to get extra money of £50. £0/£50 Aim to declutter 50 items. 47/50
    Have joined pay off all your debts by Xmas 2018, MFW 2018 (looking to OP £4k on BTL mtge), Declutter in 2018 (aiming for 2018 items!:eek:) Relisted 7 items on fleabay

something Joyful in Jan

DS2 and DS3 also back to school today. DD and I took down most of the Xmas stuff and it's back in sorted and labelled boxes ready to go in loft Fri/ Sat. Some items went in CS bag. Need to polish and vacuum through, but that can wait until tomorrow.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • dizzyblnd
    dizzyblnd Posts: 449 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fmess and apple as a fellow teacher I can tell you that every teacher I know is saying exactly the same. I can't imagine doing this till retirement, it's taking over my life, it's too full on to do full time. I'm in the unlucky bunch that can't retire till 68!
    Mortgage free wannabee 2022 #82
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Forgot to say that I did a donation to charity this morning.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Another NSD today taking me up to 2.

We will need milk soon so may try to eke it out until Friday as will be spending then as got late Xmas work do.

((mothernerd)) so sorry to read what happened to you - I hope you weren't too shaken up?
  • dizzyblnd
    dizzyblnd Posts: 449 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Today I managed a nsd (also one on New Year's Day) so that #2/18. Not much else to report.
    Mortgage free wannabee 2022 #82
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    That sounds horrible mothernerd, hope you're ok.

A few spends today - bought thank you cards, stamps and toothpaste. As I was spending anyway, I picked up a few bits in the supermarket that we'll need in the next few days.

So still on 2/18 NSDs.
    Budgets - food £9.58/£150, social £0/£50, petrol £0/£100.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1428.98/£1500 (95.3% saved).
  • abundant1972
    abundant1972 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 3 January 2018 at 10:46PM
    Options
    Evening all...

Yesterday wasn't an NSD as had my hair cut and withdrew £20 from my food/spend budget.

Today = NSD number 2

Also had some great news! I've been worrying about making ends meet since I moved, and today found out I have an extra day starting in April - so I'll be back earning what I was previously!!! Hoorah!

Thank you Universe!!! :)

Today I am grateful for:
    • My extra hours!
    • My work colleagues for being a laugh and supportive
    • A windy, gusty day that cleared away the cobwebs this morning
    I'm doing really well on whittling down the contents of my fridge... No new food bought yet. My freezer compartment is also coming down (no frozen brussel sprouts found though Toni'sFriend!). I'm on a day off tomorrow so will go through my cupboards and see what I can make.

Mothernerd - sorry to hear about your incident. It must be difficult being a woman sometimes - I mean - you just don't hear of men being harassed like that. Hmmm... I'd have pushed up the price to at least fill up your Emergency Fund then done a runner haha ;)

I'm reading a book at the moment called 'Miracle Morning' or something like that - which allegedly revolutionises your day and life... It hinges on you getting out of bed as soon as you wake though... I managed it Jan 01st... it kind of went to pot after that. Some of it is good though... and worth a read.

Catch you all tomorrow x
    DFD = August 2027 @ £250/month
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    My life is full of abundance and prosperity
    NST Feb: Food & Spends = £216.51 / £290.00 NSD = 1 /15
    Be kind - Eat well - Exercise - Be mindful
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 3 January 2018 at 10:57PM
    Options
    Thank you for all your kind words. I was uset but not traumatised. Okay once it was over as I just thought he was sad and pathetic. Felt vulnerable because I was ill and there were so few people around and even though he was 'doughy' he was still a lot bigger and probably stronger than me. I have got very comfortable with my middle aged woman invisibility shield - being propositioned isn't what you expect when you are 5 stone overweight and nearly 60 yo.

Putting my positive head on, it's another good reason for losing weight if the fat doesn't protect me from unwanted advances and at least I would be in better shape if I needed to fight or run. Maybe it's good to know I still have a market value even if I could never capitalise on it. Sorry if that's my last chance of a side hustle apple.

A NSD today as I have not left the house. Feeling bloated and sick so have only just eaten for the first time today. Sent my apologies to crafts - we were only doing card making and colouring. Thought it would have given me more time to get organised but had another sleep.

Read and wrote out a useful article on getting started when you are overwhelmed by the mess - some of the steps were things I already do (checking for appointments and any bills or tasks with deadlines) but some of the steps will help me. I always put the bins out however ill or exhausted I am so if assign each day one regular job that must be done, I will start to catch up.

I already have a scribbled down flow chart with 3 headings and 3 actions that I need to incorporate. I have been working on this stuff but I am moving at the speed of treacle. The thing bothering me the most atm is my bedroom (!!! home office/ craft room/ business office/ workspace). The kitchen is a mess but I can limit the time I spend in there. I want my bedroom to be my sanctuary but also to function effeiciently as a work space and at the moment it's not working as either. Getting fed up with how to declutter articles telling me to take everything out (only options are tiny landing - 6'6" x 2'6" between my room and the bathroom and the bit at the top of the stairs, all of which already has things like the ironing board, a file box and the overflow of clothes from their room along the edges or to once more line the bath with bin bags and pile everything in there). Also annoying people who 'cleared a basement in a weekend' when the after pictures show a space twice as big as my house with the retained furniture set out in the corners like little room sets.

Enough moaning - I just think the mess is a reflection of all the stuff that has been going on in my head over the past 12? years and I need to find a solution fast. I have made it part of my next 5 years plan (along with next (final) kitchen complete witha ny necessary adaptations and the garden redone to be waist high/ wheelchair usable) - don't think I can go for the full 'little house' solution of stepped stairs made of furniture going up to a loft bed BUT maybe a hospital height bed which I can perch/ slide onto with storage cube ends and pull out wheeled storage taking up the underbed space. I don't want to go back to a single bed but could perhaps compromise with a 4' bed and if I had some sort of pull down worktop that could cover it in the daytime. Anyway that is the future, need to find something I can live with now.

Could also have aorkspace in the kitchen if I could tackle the massive job of sorting it, making all Beloved's gadget accessible but not in the way and then rearrange things to suit me. The elephant will get eaten.

Today I am grateful for sleeping comfortably, for food made by Beloved and for a hot bath.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Last day at work today. My birthday tomorrow, so I'm off until Monday 15th. Don't have many plans, although my friend is giving me a couple of free cinema vouchers so I'll get to watch a couple of films for free.
    Janus - 12 Months target to repay Mum. £167.38 / £3000
    Nothing significant today, been trying to do some surveys, but they're sparce, and if I catch one, I'm declined. Will keep plugging at it thou.

Activity. Crochet & keep active.
    Boxing session today. And I'll do some crochet in a minute.

Non-negotiables:
    -[STRIKE]18[/STRIKE] 25 NSDs 3/25 Day three achieved.
    I did pay for my boxing subs today £6 x 5 sessions, but it comes out my 'fitness' pot and budgeted for. No unnecessary spends.
    -£5 to foodbank / charity

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s). [more on this later]
    I was given some slices of xmas cake by the boss today. Succombed. Didn't eat any of the new box of cheese straws that appeared in work.

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens... Planned for the next week.

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read. BF had fridge scraps omelette for his tea, I used up the dregs of freezer veg for mine.

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.
    Budgeted spends only today, boxing session attended.

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: how much extra an you earn / save off your food shop / move / remove.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dizzy I daren’t look at when they’re predicting my retirement! I don’t know one teacher who says they’ll make it to a ‘normal’ retirement age in the job or one that doesn’t long to go part time so they can have two days off a week and not lose their weekends and every night to work.

Dancingdragons Everyone is different and I wouldn’t want to dissuade you from your dream. My reality of teaching is that I love being in the classroom but I work 60+ hour week each week and the job is never done and I often feel I’m barely doing a half decent job. I know one full time teacher who has children under 16, everyone else is part time to try and get some family time. As a single childless person, I struggle with full time hours and the workload and I don’t have a good work life balance, but at least it’s only me who suffers. Good luck with what you decide to do, please keep us posted. It can be an amazingly rewarding job.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure