Can't pay my debts

I was unfairly dismissed from my job and have now been rendered unemployable.

I cannot get a job because I have been 'dismissed' and do not now have a reference. I am a former teacher with an unblemished career but this 'dismissed' tag obviously affects my chances of getting a job.

I am nearly 53 so who will employ me under these terms.

I have been unemployed for over a year now and have not accrued any debts while I have been on unemployed and on JSA, simply because I go without, even food, when I have to.

However, I have debts that became debts because I was dismissed while I had borrowing and credit cards in place.

I have just had a CCJ against me from the HSBC to pay back my credit card total £4,053.26 (including interest and costs). I do not have a hope of paying this off and cannot afford anything out of my JSA, it only covers my essential basic living costs - no frills.

What can I do? What will they do to me when I can't pay it?

Comments

• VitaK
    VitaK Posts: 651 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    You should get in contact with one of the non-profit debt charities that can give you proper advice.

Please have a look on this.
    IMPORTANT - Where to seek professional impartial advice about your debts.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I cant see how you can say you are 'unemployable' of course you are employable, depending on what youj were dismissed for. If you think you were unfairly dismissed then fight it unless you already have of course and lost.

There are thousands of jobs you could do without actually being a teacher.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • McKneff wrote: »
    I cant see how you can say you are 'unemployable' of course you are employable, depending on what youj were dismissed for. If you think you were unfairly dismissed then fight it unless you already have of course and lost.

There are thousands of jobs you could do without actually being a teacher.

Unfortunately the OP is well out of time to fight unfair dismissal.

Completely agree on your other point - employers can and do take on people who have been dismissed.
  • CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Hi cquinn60, thank you for your query re can't pay my debts
    I am afraid you have not included enough information for me to advise you on your options e.g. any car, assets and do you own or rent your home, but I would suggest you complete a detailed income and expenditure and if you have a deficit on your income and expenditure or have nothing available to make a offer of repayment to the CCJ I would suggest you seek advice from a debt adviser. You can find your local Citizens Advice Bureau at https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk. They will be able to look at your individual circumstances and look at options such as a Debt Relief Order or Administration order. It is worth noting that if you are not working and have no assets a court is usually willing to accept very low offers of repayment towards a CCJ especially if there is a chance of a change of circumstances in the future such as getting back into work. You can apply to vary a CCJ to a monthly instalment offer using form N245 and as you are claiming benefits you should be eligible for court fee remission so the application should not cost you anything. The fee remission if applied for on form EX160. You can find more information about varying a CCJ at https://www.adviceguide.org.uk. You also need to be aware that if you do not have a payment arrangement in place currently you are at risk of enforcement action such as a warrant of execution.
    Hope this is of assistance.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure