PPI Plevin but still owe on the loan

After getting stung by Barclays for an overdraft balance that I should not have owed due to their own banking errors AND paying it off due to legal threats I went ghost for SEVERAL years on my career development loan, I certainly wasn't about to hand over what I owed them as I had already been forced tomato them what I didn't. It seems though after 4 address changes though they were able to locate me. They have not asked for payment in their letter but have informed me of the Plevin case and have assigned me a case number. There is still about £800 owing on this loan of £4000 with the last payment in was prepared to make being around 2002. Now I know I had PPI as I was told I could not take out the loan without it. The amount owed has not accrued any interest in the years I haven't paid as all previous letters sent to one of my old addresses I've the years have not increased in value. I am tempted to contact them to start the claims process but I have a nightmare situation in mind that I will be told.the PPI was used by me not paying the outstanding balance for so long and that I might end up owing them loads... Do I contact them to try and claim what could be more than the paperwork says I owe and risk having a huge interest bill thrown at me or shall I continue to stay a ghost and let them swivel?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 February 2018 at 10:39AM
    M1ndf1r3 wrote: »
    After getting stung by Barclays for an overdraft balance that I should not have owed due to their own banking errors AND paying it off due to legal threats I went ghost for SEVERAL years on my career development loan, I certainly wasn't about to hand over what I owed them as I had already been forced tomato them what I didn't. It seems though after 4 address changes though they were able to locate me. They have not asked for payment in their letter but have informed me of the Plevin case and have assigned me a case number. There is still about £800 owing on this loan of £4000 with the last payment in was prepared to make being around 2002. Now I know I had PPI as I was told I could not take out the loan without it. The amount owed has not accrued any interest in the years I haven't paid as all previous letters sent to one of my old addresses I've the years have not increased in value. I am tempted to contact them to start the claims process but I have a nightmare situation in mind that I will be told.the PPI was used by me not paying the outstanding balance for so long and that I might end up owing them loads... Do I contact them to try and claim what could be more than the paperwork says I owe and risk having a huge interest bill thrown at me or shall I continue to stay a ghost and let them swivel?

When was the debt last acknowledged?

And what is a 'forced tomato'?
  • Hi
    As a single father I attempted to claim years ago for PPI misselling but due to it being an independent agent (unknown to me), my claim failed as the Independent Agent has long since finished practising.
    Now this Plevin rule has come along - who do I claim from? The Independent Agent, The Estate Agent who the independent agent worked with or the Building Society who's loan I would never have had without the PPI?
    Can you point me in the right direction to get my claim rolling?
  • You complain to whoever sold you the policy.
  • Ah yes... Forced Tomato.... I just love it when I'm typing on my phone and autocorrect decides to turn a misplaced tap into a nonsensical sentence. It should have read 'forced to pay them'.
  • Well they have been sending letters yearly to the address I was at when I took the CDL but the remaining balance hasn't changed over the years and remains about £800, does this mean the PPI has been applied and therefore if I try and claim I won't get anything and will then be required to pay as I have contacted them. I thought after so many years of not having any contact the debt would have been wiped, it no longer shows on my credit file.
  • It all depends on whether you have acknowledged the debt in the last 6 years.

The debt won't have been wiped, but it may be unenforceable. However, that doesn't stop any redress being off set against the balance.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I thought after so many years of not having any contact the debt would have been wiped, it no longer shows on my credit file.
    The debt is not "wiped", but they can no longer chase you through the courts for it. You continue to owe this money though.
    If you make a PPI mis-selling complaint any redress, should it it be awarded, would be offset against your unpaid debt.

Since it you don't appear to even know for certain that you had PPI
    does this mean the PPI has been applied
    You might be wise to let sleeping dogs lie.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure