Earthgirl's Final Battle

Comments

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    It's worth the spend when they love the activity. Over the course of a term, I think we spend around £200 on dd's activities (yikes! this doesn't include clothing required or gradings/exams) but she loves every single one of them and would be hard-pressed to choose one to drop.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    £200 a term Apple, wow! But like you say, it;s the value it brings to DD or you as a family.

Ive been holding off joining up to teams as the boys are happy to kick a ball in the garden, but I think Ive timed it about right and saved myself at least another couple of hundred from having them in very early. And they are there on merit.

All jobs done, and Ive decided to go for it with the second job. The opportunity to work when the kids are in bed is just what I need. Next stage is on Friday so I have plenty of tome to prepare.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Watch the exchange rate on that job EG - things are going back the other way again now and as you say, it's not a great rate. Also bear in mind how you will be paid - PP is expensive and US companies don't really do wire transfers. Sorry, I don't mean to be negative, but watch out for the balance between time and income!

Football sounds like it's really worth it for your boys!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Courgette
    Courgette Posts: 3,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just seconding what themadvix says..... Don't whatever you do go for payment via PayPal, their rates are grim. I list so much of my first few wages because of that. I get paid to my Hally account now and I pay about £20. You will be paid initially in RMD which will be converted into $ then £ plus Hally change £7 to receive it. In theory you could open an account with the people's Bank of China and you could receive RMD directly plus no transfer fees. You could then convert directly to sterling as required. Trouble is there aren't many branches in the UK. Me to me is Manchester, not sure about your neck of the woods.

Oh, and when they offer you a contract haggle the wage. You're worth more than that with your background. They pay me more than that and I did a pretty rubbish interview. Text me if you wanna chat more. Good luck on Friday!
    A reminder to myself: Persistence Pays Off ;):D :idea: :rotfl:
    Mortgage 1: [STRIKE]£95,000[/STRIKE] £78,900 at 3.1%
    Mortgage 2 (BTL): £83, 489.15 at 2.99% (I.O.)
    Savings (S&S ISA): £3000 Plus 6 months emergency savings earning 3%
  • Courgette
    Courgette Posts: 3,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry, typos in there and can't edit on my phone. Hope it's clear
    A reminder to myself: Persistence Pays Off ;):D :idea: :rotfl:
    Mortgage 1: [STRIKE]£95,000[/STRIKE] £78,900 at 3.1%
    Mortgage 2 (BTL): £83, 489.15 at 2.99% (I.O.)
    Savings (S&S ISA): £3000 Plus 6 months emergency savings earning 3%
  • earthgirl
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Thanks themadvix and courgette. I think it might be too low to accept, I'm going to earn peanuts after fees with that hourly rate :( . I will probably do the interview and maybe they'll up the offer.

There is a branch of that bank about an hour from me so it could be worth a trip.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • earthgirl
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 6 February 2018 at 1:54PM
    Courgette thanks and thanks for just being a great friend x
    Thanks everyone for posting and helping, I'm so glad I didn't lose this when I lost my diary :)

Progress not Perfection
  • earthgirl
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 6 February 2018 at 1:57PM
    SSS you asked me about work. It was all going swimmingly until yesterday. Had another run in with boss and had to have a meeting with her and union rep. Very stressful but I can't let the stuff that's happening go on unchecked so I have to take action and keep documenting things to prevent future problems.

So I still did ok with eating and did a bit of exercise. A takeaway was mentioned but I cooked instead and I'm still avoiding alcohol so thats good - a stressful day didn't take me completely off track.

Things are looking up in general with money:
    £29 in from trading in cds
    the car scrape I caused is only going to cost me £200 (I was thinking a lot higher).
    OH business plan was accepted for a small amount of matched funding and in general I have a plan and list of things to do on this.

Ok, so not much good news but it feels like things have stopped going against us!

Opportunities

Progress not Perfection
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Trading in CDs? Oooh .... somehow I doubt that means "trading in compact discs" :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,257 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Trading in CDs? Oooh .... somehow I doubt that means "trading in compact discs" :)[/QUOT something?

I think it does.
    Unless I am missing something.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback