Ex owes me £2700

12346»

Comments

• robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    But the op said she had only been living there for four weeks? Not a great deal of time to be paying mortgages and bills as she advised she did...

or to pay back £2700 either -

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • I have emails from him admitting he owes the money and that he would give my belongings back. Would that help?
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Lizzy___b wrote: »
    I have emails from him admitting he owes the money and that he would give my belongings back. Would that help?

ok belongings aside because he does need to return those to you

In terms of the money even if he says he does owe it if there are no agreements in terms of timescales etc there isn't a contract.

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Lizzy___b wrote: »
    New. That's what it would cost me to replace
    You cant claim new for old.

You can only claim the value at the time.

It would not cost £2700 to replace like for like, which is what you're entitled to
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    You cant claim new for old.

You can only claim the value at the time.

It would not cost £2700 to replace like for like, which is what you're entitled to

You can submit what you like on a online money claim ,its up to the defendant to challenge it .OP keep an eye on the timescales if he doesnt defend in time ,push the button for judgement and follow through with warrant of control .If he does defend take it to abitration
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • Comms69
    pelirocco wrote: »
    You can submit what you like on a online money claim ,its up to the defendant to challenge it .OP keep an eye on the timescales if he doesnt defend in time ,push the button for judgement and follow through with warrant of control .If he does defend take it to abitration

Ok you wont successfully claim new for old, assuming the defence submits even the most basic argument.

I shortened it to save the OP time making an incorrect claim.
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Ok you wont successfully claim new for old, assuming the defence submits even the most basic argument.

I shortened it to save the OP time making an incorrect claim.

It doesnt matter , if he submits a defence it can go to abitration , the court may ask for proof to back up the amounts ,but thats easily found
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • Comms69
    pelirocco wrote: »
    It doesnt matter , if he submits a defence it can go to abitration , the court may ask for proof to back up the amounts ,but thats easily found

No.

It can go for mediation, which may or may not succeed.

It can only go to arbitration if both parties agree.

Like I said the amounts might be 'found' but the OP will not succeed in claiming new for old. I'm not sure why you're arguing this point - it's a very basic legal principle.
  • Lizzy___b wrote: »
    I sent him the letter of intent by registered post to his house, his work, his mother's house and his email address. I also sent a screen shot of my bank account clearly transferring the money to him. I got an email asking for proof it was given as a loan. I just replied saying put it in writing. He's reply was "tough"

Lovely man!

I still can't get through to CAB. Think I'm gonna have to take a day off and pay them a visit instead.

This sounds very similar to what happened with my ex in Summer 2016. We had moved into a rented home, where I purchased almost all of the furniture, and also some extras for us including an £800 TV, Playstation and a new sofa (£1,700). My ex was a violent, horrid person however and I left after he had shown his true colours. As I had to get out of the house quickly (the next day when he left for work), I could only take what I could pack into bags and had to leave the furniture etc that I had paid for. He argued with me until he was blue in the face to tell me that I was getting none of the furniture which I had paid for. I had planned to take this further, but because of the type of person he was, I decided to cut my losses and leave it - material possessions can be replaced. Dealing with him for longer than I needed to was just not worth it to me.

I think weigh up your options whether it is really worth fighting him for the furniture and money, or if it is going to cause you more stress/aggravation maybe consider calling it a day.
    Credit Card: £5350 (£5210 remaining)
    Overdraft: £1498.68
    Loan 1: £5000 (£2252.26 remaining)
    Loan 2: £1656.90 - PAID!! :j
    Very: £703.97 (£553.97 remaining)
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge: £291.51/£2018
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income