Ex owes me £2700

Hi
Just after a bit of advise really.
My ex owes me £2700 and is refusing payment plan. He just says "see you in court" when he bought the house he was £2700 short so I lent it to him. Bank Transferred
He is also refusing to let me get my belongings ( house in his name) although I do still have some keys. He's says he'll get me arrested if I enter his house without permission.

Anyway back to the money

I need to send a letter of intent and wondered if anyone had a template I could use.i have no idea what to put.
To be fair any helpful info would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    He must let you collect your things. If he doesn’t you could sue him ( all those gold necklaces... )

As for the money towards the house- I’m not sure. How long did you live there?
  • I lived there for 4weeks before I got chucked out. God this sounds so Jeremy Kyle
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 20 November 2017 at 9:11PM
    When you say he won’t let you enter to get your things, are these items you could carry away in a car or are you talking about removing pieces of furniture and needing a removal van? If he doesn,t let you have them he is guilty of stealing. Maybe you have to ask the police to accompany you. Has he threatened violence? He may, of course have changed the locks since your departure so don’t bank on being able to enter during his absence.
    Unless you have some written agreement that the money you gave him was a loan I think it will be difficult to prove that he owes it. He will almost certainly claim it was a gift. Were you married ?

I hate to say this but unless you sue him for the money innthe Small Claims Court and have written evidence the money was a loan I think you have little chance of getting it back. Courts will want evidence rather than hearsay. The bank transfer was just evidence that was paid to him, not whether it was a gift or a loan.

In view of your short tenure there I think he was just using you. A hard lesson to learn. Just get everything in writing next time first.
  • There are a couple of items of furniture but I have a van so could cope with removal. To be fair all the furniture is mine but I'm leaving him with all of it except a few bits that my Nan gave me. I have informed the police but they are not interested.

I do have text from him admitting he owes the money so thought may be that's enough. It will have to go to smal claims. It's been 3 months now and he won't play nice. I've been trying to call CAB today but there was no one available all day so thought I'd try here.

Thanks
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Keep a photograph of the text in case you lose your phone.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Lizzy___b wrote: »
    There are a couple of items of furniture but I have a van so could cope with removal. To be fair all the furniture is mine but I'm leaving him with all of it except a few bits that my Nan gave me. I have informed the police but they are not interested.

I do have text from him admitting he owes the money so thought may be that's enough. It will have to go to smal claims. It's been 3 months now and he won't play nice. I've been trying to call CAB today but there was no one available all day so thought I'd try here.

Thanks

With that kind of behaviour, I'd take everything that was legally mine!
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Re. your belonging, write to him to say that you would like to arrange with him a time by which you could come to pick things up or he drops them off if he doesn't want you anywhere near his house. Suggest some dates and tell him that if he doesn't respond within 2 weeks, you'll have no choice but to take him to court. This way you show you've tried to resolve the matter amicably and that he was the one acting unreasonable.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Primrose wrote: »
    When you say he won’t let you enter to get your things, are these items you could carry away in a car or are you talking about removing pieces of furniture and needing a removal van? If he doesn,t let you have them he is guilty of stealing. - no, it's totally civil law. There's no theft, and in fact ownership could well be joint. Maybe you have to ask the police to accompany you. - the police have no right of entry. Has he threatened violence? - why would you even ask that? He may, of course have changed the locks since your departure so don’t bank on being able to enter during his absence.
    Unless you have some written agreement that the money you gave him was a loan I think it will be difficult to prove that he owes it. He will almost certainly claim it was a gift. Were you married ? - indeed, I agree. sounds like a gift.

I hate to say this but unless you sue him for the money innthe Small Claims Court and have written evidence the money was a loan I think you have little chance of getting it back. Courts will want evidence rather than hearsay. The bank transfer was just evidence that was paid to him, not whether it was a gift or a loan.

In view of your short tenure there I think he was just using you. A hard lesson to learn. Just get everything in writing next time first.
    The key thing is to get it in writing that you request a time to collect personal belongings.
  • Send him a letter before action. State in it that unless he repays the loan within 14 days, you will take him to the small claims court to recover the money. Make sure you get proof of postage.
  • If you've got a key, it's not breaking and entering. If you are only taking your belongings, it's not burglary.

Entering 'his' house is trespass, but it's a civil offense, not a legal one.

I don't know why the police would get involved.. video your entry to prove you did it without causing damage and only took what belonged to you; also, if he arrives and gets violent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure