Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • letiss7
    • By letiss7 23rd Aug 19, 8:48 AM
    • 94Posts
    • 256Thanks
    letiss7
    0 WOW
    BA changing accomodation and want to charge.
    • 23rd Aug 19, 8:48 AM
    0 WOW
    BA changing accomodation and want to charge. 23rd Aug 19 at 8:48 AM
    Hi all,

A friend of mine asked me for some advice, just checking that I am going to give him the right advice...

He booked a holiday through BA holidays website about 6months ago for a holiday over Xmas.
    It was an all-inclusive package holiday
    BA contacted him yesterday and told him that the hotel he has booked was an adult only one and the system should NOT have let him book the hotel as he has under 18s in his family.
    They offered him alternative accommodation but want to charge the difference in price. The accommodation is of a similar standard.
    I've said to him that I would not allow BA to charge me extra for their mistake, especially 6 months after the original booking and tkaing the payment in full.
    I want to tell him to go to ABTA if BA do not agree to change the accommodation for free. Would ABTA help is this scenario?
    No. 49 in the 'Save 12k for 2019' thread.
    £4232/£12000
Page 1
    • Westin
    • By Westin 23rd Aug 19, 9:44 AM
    • 2,006 Posts
    • 1,448 Thanks
    Westin
    • 23rd Aug 19, 9:44 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 9:44 AM
    Which hotel is it?
    Does the hotel description mention Adult Only?
    What details did he include when booking (presumably online) - children/teens/adults?
    • letiss7
    • By letiss7 23rd Aug 19, 10:23 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    letiss7
    • 23rd Aug 19, 10:23 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 10:23 AM
    I don't have the specific hotel name but apprently it said over 16s but when BA contacted him yesterday they said it was over 18s only.
    However they did say their online booking system shouldn't have let the booking go through as it should have detected the age of the child when he entered it as part of the booking.

The details entered were normal booking things like name, address, DOB, age on return etc.
    £4232/£12000
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 23rd Aug 19, 10:47 AM
    • 2,691 Posts
    • 3,689 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 23rd Aug 19, 10:47 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 10:47 AM
    If he does not pay the difference they will just cancel the holiday and repay his money.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 23rd Aug 19, 11:00 AM
    • 23,352 Posts
    • 63,027 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 23rd Aug 19, 11:00 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 11:00 AM
    Which hotel is it?
    Does the hotel description mention Adult Only?
    What details did he include when booking (presumably online) - children/teens/adults?
    Originally posted by Westin
    To this I'd add - is the hotel still being advertised by BA and does it still say over 16s or have they changed it?

If it says over 16s I'd grab a screen shot pdq.
    • letiss7
    • By letiss7 23rd Aug 19, 3:16 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    letiss7
    • 23rd Aug 19, 3:16 PM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 3:16 PM
    If he does not pay the difference they will just cancel the holiday and repay his money.
    Originally posted by comeandgo

Yes that is the option they have given him but it seems very unfair as they have admitted it was their mistake.
    £4232/£12000
    • letiss7
    • By letiss7 23rd Aug 19, 3:18 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    letiss7
    • 23rd Aug 19, 3:18 PM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 3:18 PM
    To this I'd add - is the hotel still being advertised by BA and does it still say over 16s or have they changed it?

If it says over 16s I'd grab a screen shot pdq.
    Originally posted by Pollycat

He's got a screenshot of it from the original booking which he took by chance. BA have admitted the fault lay in their booking system allowing the booking to go through. This is why I think he should push BA to change the accommodation for free or complain to ABTA to see if they will help.
    £4232/£12000
    • Westin
    • By Westin 23rd Aug 19, 4:56 PM
    • 2,006 Posts
    • 1,448 Thanks
    Westin
    • 23rd Aug 19, 4:56 PM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 4:56 PM
    I’m really surprised that if BAH have admitted this is down to their error, why they are asking for extra money for an alternative.

How much is the difference?

Has your friend told you the original and new offered hotel yet?

Are you sure BAH did not offer a similar hotel but your friend selected something else which may be why an extra charge is being suggested.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 23rd Aug 19, 5:06 PM
    • 23,352 Posts
    • 63,027 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 23rd Aug 19, 5:06 PM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 5:06 PM
    Iím really surprised that if BAH have admitted this is down to their error, why they are asking for extra money for an alternative.

How much is the difference?

Has your friend told you the original and new offered hotel yet?

Are you sure BAH did not offer a similar hotel but your friend selected something else which may be why an extra charge is being suggested.
    I'm with this ^^^^ guy - IYKWIM.

We are getting this story 3rd hand - always not ideal.
    If it was me, I'd be telling BAH that their website shouldn't have allowed me to book someone who isn't an adult.
    And that they shouldn't have taken 6 months to tell me.
    And I'd be escalating it upwards.
    And upwards - until I got a a solution that I felt was satisfactory.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 23rd Aug 19, 5:06 PM
    • 12,301 Posts
    • 8,010 Thanks
    Caz3121
    I would ask the question....if the system had correctly rejected the hotel at the time, what would he have done?
    Are the new hotel and the original hotel similar in price 9 months out? if so,
    he could say he should not be paying the 'extra' due to it being more expensive 'now' as he could have booked it at the price 'then'
    • letiss7
    • By letiss7 27th Aug 19, 11:57 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    letiss7
    Pollycat & Caz3121 - I agree getting the info 3rd hand is not ideal and I am also trusting what he says whenthis is exactly why I have suggested to him not to pay the extra and to take it as far as he could because BAH admitted the fault.
    I will find out what happened over the weekend as he was going to be talking to BA. Not sure it was the best weekend to try and talk to them though.
    Thank you all that have replied.
    £4232/£12000
    • letiss7
    • By letiss7 29th Aug 19, 7:59 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    letiss7
    In case anyone is interested..
    BA had asked him to pay £180 for moving to a new hotel with similar facilities. Yesterday they offered him an upgraded hotel for the same price but he managed to negotiate BA down to £50 for the upgraded hotel.
    He seems happy with the result.

Thank you to those that replied.
    £4232/£12000
    • Westin
    • By Westin 29th Aug 19, 8:52 AM
    • 2,006 Posts
    • 1,448 Thanks
    Westin
    Thanks for returning to update the thread.

An alternative hotel of the same standard being offered without additional charge would be common practice - which it seems was the case.

Selecting another more expensive hotel and being asked to pay the difference - fairly normal.

BAH seem to do as expected.
    • isplumm
    • By isplumm 29th Aug 19, 2:33 PM
    • 1,903 Posts
    • 813 Thanks
    isplumm
    Thanks for returning to update the thread.

An alternative hotel of the same standard being offered without additional charge would be common practice - which it seems was the case.

Selecting another more expensive hotel and being asked to pay the difference - fairly normal.

BAH seem to do as expected.
    But they didn't - they wanted to charge £180 extra for hotel similar facilities?

Mark
    Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Westin
    • By Westin 29th Aug 19, 3:00 PM
    • 2,006 Posts
    • 1,448 Thanks
    Westin
    "similar facilities" doesn't always equal a hotel of a similar standard, which is what the tour operator would be obligated to offer as an alternative.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

46Posts Today

3,171Users online

Martin's Twitter