Rear extension quote

Options
A few months ago I was quoted by a builder for a 6m x 6m rear extension with GRP flat-roof. The quote was £53,650k + VAT. Bi-folds, roof lantern, new boiler, kitchen fit not included.

I've reduced the depth of the extension plans to 6m x 4.5m and asked for a re-quote. The price is now £48,500k +VAT (£5150+VAT less).

Does any of that sound right? I've read everywhere that the average cost of an extension should be £1500 - £2k per square meter.

At £1.5k per m2 that would mean:

6m x 6m = £54k
6m x 4.5m = £40.5k

The builder is saying that the costs are due to supporting a bay window above the new rear extension and installing a warm roof with GRP.

Thoughts please?

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Labour will be the single largest component of the quote, so a reduction in the amount of materials isn't going to have a huge impact. You have a saving on 3m of brickwork and 9m² of roof & floor (down from 36m² to 27m²).

For a saving of £5K, you'd be better off going for the full 6m extension. Or put another way, you'd get a third more floor space for just 10% more money.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As above its costing you less per sqm to have the larger extension.

However do get 3 quotes to ensure it competitive.
  • nicnic77
    nicnic77 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    6m is no longer an option. I put 4.5m through planning in the end.

So does £48,500 plus VAT seem reasonable for 27m2? Crudely that works out at £1800 per m2.

When the figure of £1500-£2000 per m2 are banded about, is that usually always plus VAT? Also is that for the basic brickwork and roof - no bi-folds or roof lanterns etc?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There isn't a rule.

There are so many different ways of building. Even if you built within the same specification, it will cost differently per square metre because each individual square metre of that building involves a different level of work.

A 10X10 metre building will cost less than a 5X20 metre building built with the same products, despite them being the same square meterage - the rectangle requires 25% more labour and materials in foundations, for a start.

You're bang in the middle of the rough estimates you're comparing it to, and your builder has clearly shown variables, which to me indicates a maturity in estimation.

There is no science, only art, when it comes to pricing.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You must get out of the habit of simply comparing square metreage. It is very naïve of people to do so. You are not understanding the intricacies of pricing. A 6x 4m roof will cost the same in labour as a 6 x 6m roof. And the cost differential in materials is marginal. As Freebear above suggests, labour is the biggest cost and there will be very little reduction In labour to build the smaller extension.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Londoner_1
    Londoner_1 Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    nicnic77 wrote: »
    6m is no longer an option. I put 4.5m through planning in the end.

So does £48,500 plus VAT seem reasonable for 27m2? Crudely that works out at £1800 per m2.

When the figure of £1500-£2000 per m2 are banded about, is that usually always plus VAT? Also is that for the basic brickwork and roof - no bi-folds or roof lanterns etc?

I'm also looking to build an extension 4.5m x 5.8m, pw side is complete as sharing with neighbour but im getting quotes of £30k, £36k £38k and £45k ex vat based in East London. The 30k is very tempting and includes extras but i think its too low. Block construction with felt warm roof, 2 quotes have gpr covering.
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    Don't have a felt roof. Times have moved on.

And £30k really is silly, especially if it includes extras. It's been calculated crudely by a builder that still hasn't worked out what we've been trying to explain.
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    I don't understand.

How did you save money?
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    I don't understand.

How did you save money?

By getting a lifetime supply of spam for free
  • malky39
    malky39 Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    7m x 3.5m extension, tiled pitched roof

Electrics  standard 4 double sockets, 1 ceiling pendant, 1 extractor vent and 1 smoke alarm

Plumbing  Utility Room, hot and cold water supply, sink waste pipe, first fix only

Joinery  Standard skirtings and facings to extension, New pocket door to existing

bathroom, 3 velux windows as per drawing.

Plaster  All walls and ceilings in extension plaster finished

£37500 Quotes varied from this to £47000 

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family