netflix charging twice.

My grand-daughter has a Netflix account {the one where you can sign in on 2 tvs and 2 phones] She signed in on a second tv in March and since then Netflix has been charging her twice every month. She has only just realised this as like a lot of youngsters she hardly ever checks her account except to see how much she has left.
On contacting Netflix they said she signed in using a different email account when in fact when she signed in she misspelt the email address by adding an extra L in the icloud.com part.
They then set up an account without her knowledge using the misspelt email. Apart from anything else surely they shouldn't have let her sign in in the first place with an unrecognisable email and also why would she need to open a second account to watch a second tv when she was covered with her original account?
Spoke to Netflix via chat and second account has now been cancelled but they are refusing a refund. Do you think she should get one and if so how can we take it further as can find no other way of contacting them except by phone or chat and getting nowhere with that.

Comments

• alfie1950
    alfie1950 Posts: 166 Forumite
    How would they get her banking details for the second account without her giving them?
    Signing in on an extra device is irrelevant. You can sign in on as many as you want as long as you limit it to 4 at a time ! My son and daughter ( at different addresses ) also use my Netflix account and as long as we limit it to a maximum of 4 at a time there's no problem even through at one time or another there's up to 12 different devices using it.
  • elloise
    elloise Posts: 12 Forumite
    They had her banking details from the original account.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    But they won't use bank details from what is effectively a different person's account.
  • elloise
    elloise Posts: 12 Forumite
    How would it be effectively a different person's account when all the details are the same including password but just the icloud part misspelt?
    Also why would she be allowed to login in first place if email address was different to the one she signed up with?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Because it's a different account. They're unique.

I suspect there may have been a few extra stages she went through while she created the second account.
  • alfie1950
    alfie1950 Posts: 166 Forumite
    I suspect we are not getting the full story ....
    Just your version of what she has told you .
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    elloise wrote: »
    They had her banking details from the original account.

No, they really didn't.

On Netflix(and others) the email account name is the user name on the account, so a different email address (whether it was spelled incorrectly or not) entails a 2nd account. She has created 2 accounts and entered all of her details (including payment details) on both accounts.

Be grateful that Netflix isn't an 18 month contract because they would be well within their rights to charge her for the full term for both accounts.
  • pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I think we can all assume that the granddaughter made the mistake rather than Netflix. I believe you can therefore argue (as a fundamental principle of contract law) that the second contract did not exist, being based on a mistake. As for settlement, I would just allow Netflix to take the moral high ground and offer some ex gratia payment in the form of a credit to the account or a Netflix gift card.
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Obviously she created the account again using the slightly different email address and gave them payment details etc, otherwise this could not have happened.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Providers normally check the email is a genuine account and if it isn't tell the person, I once incorrectly spelt my email signing up and they said it wasn't a valid email, so I checked letter and number and found the error then signed up with the correct email.
    The only way it could have taken double payments would be if the incorrect email was for a genuine account and someone reset the password and received free content at their expense.
    Someone please tell me what money is
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure