PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How long did you keep your house on the market for?

13»

Comments

• HanPop
    HanPop Posts: 185
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Like I said there is a strip of land with trees behind my house that won’t be built on so there definitely won’t be any houses right up against my garden, and the land the factory is on lies much lower.
    I appreciate people will want to know what is being built behind my house but on the other hand I am not selling a million pound house, it’s on for £170,000 so for that money around here you’re hardly going to have vast fields surrounding your property.
  • We are in the same position. House went on the market end of June. Had three viewings within the first couple of days and two offers - one over the asking price one £15k under. Accepted the higher offer in principle only to eventually find out that their property had fell through and was back on the market. As yet they still haven't found a buyer. We have had countless viewings since (although August has been dead) but most seem to be 'looking' and not serious buyers which is becoming very annoying. We were always told not to look at property ourselves until we had a buyer as it puts you in a better position but we have loads of properties 'saved' on RM so am ready to move as soon as our potential buyers get their property sold.

We feel that we are in limbo at present and don't know what to do. Should we hang on in the hope that our young couple eventually sell or drop the price in the hope that another solid offer comes through. In hindsight we now wish we had taken the lower offer as we subsequently found out that they were in rental accommodation. I argued with my husband about this as I think the EA didn't really look into both situations carefully before advising us which offer to take but I suppose our natural instinct was to take the higher offer.

I am trying to stay hopeful that the housing market picks up again in the following months but if we don't get any success by end of September we may consider taking our house off the market and relisting it next Spring.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Faith1960 wrote: »
    We feel that we are in limbo at present and don't know what to do. Should we hang on in the hope that our young couple eventually sell or drop the price in the hope that another solid offer comes through......

I am trying to stay hopeful that the housing market picks up again in the following months but if we don't get any success by end of September.......
    Your young couple aren't proceedable, so if you drop your price it might help them to become so through lowering their own price. You can't bank on that though. It worked for us in the last recession, but we were with a proactive agent

It might also bring someone new into the running.

Just being 'hopeful' won't change anything. There is nothing remotely hopeful about the remainder of the year from an economic viewpoint.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Your young couple aren't proceedable, so if you drop your price it might help them to become so through lowering their own price. You can't bank on that though. It worked for us in the last recession, but we were with a proactive agent

It might also bring someone new into the running.

Just being 'hopeful' won't change anything. There is nothing remotely hopeful about the remainder of the year from an economic viewpoint.

Good advice.
  • Faith1960
    Faith1960 Posts: 20
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I agree which is why I will speak to the Agent end of September when our 3 months is up to discuss the next steps which will either be drop the price or take it off the market and relist it next Spring.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure