I can’t access my self assessment !

CD31
CD31 Posts: 20 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
I can’t get access to self assessment. HELP !
by CD31 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:15 pm

I have posted this on numerous sites now with no answers or no one knowing what to do. I tried logging into my GOV.UK account to file a tax return and I entered the government gateway I’d and password correctly but then it’s asking me for an access code. It says to get the access code to download the HMRC app and find it there. I’ve done that but no code appears. It asks me to scan a QR code or to get another code I need to log in to my account and go to my settings, but I can’t access settings as every time I log in I’m required to enter this access code. I phoned HMRC and they told me to provide them with a mobile number to send a code to once I’ve entered my government gateway ID and that I should wait an hour before trying. The code they send me should work. I waited 2 hours, logged in but it still says I need to go to the app to get the code and I haven’t received any text message with any access code. I rang them again and they told me to wait a few more hours as it could still be updating. Did this and still no joy, so I’m in this endless loop of signing in, going to the app , to then be re directed to the login etc. I rang HMRC again and they literally have no clue what to do and told me I probably wouldn’t be able to access it if I wasn’t receiving a text with a code. So what on Earth do I do now? I can’t get access to my self assessment but I’m sure they would fine me if i didn’t submit a return. I just don’t understand why the process is so complex. If I go to an accountant would they be able to get access to file my taxes for me me using their own Methods or will I still need this access code to give to them ? Any help is seriously appreciated as I’m losing my marbles here

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Download and print off the form (and supplementary pages as required) and complete manually - send "signed for".

Make a formal complaint by letter.

https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-hmrc
  • CD31
    Will look into this, I like it how HMRC states that while complaints are going through you still need to pay your tax yet I cant because I can’t even get access :rotfl:
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    CD31 wrote: »
    Will look into this, I like it how HMRC states that while complaints are going through you still need to pay your tax yet I cant because I can’t even get access :rotfl:
    you have access, you send a tax return on paper by old fashioned Royal Mail. You cannot use this as an excuse for not submitting, nor for not paying.
  • CD31
    So why have HMRC told me that because I have signed up for online submission of tax returns that a paper one wouldn’t suffice and won’t be accepted ? Not to mention that tax returns are apparently being outlawed next year and it will all be done online as it’s apparently easier. Will be fantastic if that’s the case forever being locked out of the system
  • CD31
    So why have HMRC told me that because I have signed up for online submission of tax returns that a paper one wouldn’t suffice and won’t be accepted ? Not to mention that tax returns are apparently being outlawed next year and it will all be done online as it’s apparently easier. Will be fantastic if that’s the case forever being locked out of the system
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 August 2019 at 11:19PM
    you have until midnight on 31st October 2019 to file by paper

https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax-returns/deadlines

https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-forms-and-helpsheets

why can't you use a different phone number? I get a code by recorded message to a landline for example
  • CD31
    The problem I’m having is that I’m entering the government gateway ID and password and then it’s saying I need to go to the app to get a code. I rang them and they said they sorted it so that when I enter my government gate ID and password it would just send me a text but I get no text message and it still says “please go to your app to get your code”
  • Have you phoned normal SA helpline or the Online Services helpline? I have found the latter very helpful when having issues logging in, they're on 0300 200 3600.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure