Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kerrera
    • By kerrera 20th Aug 19, 8:47 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kerrera
    0 WOW
    Cash for Norway
    • 20th Aug 19, 8:47 AM
    0 WOW
    Cash for Norway 20th Aug 19 at 8:47 AM
    I am travelling to Norway next month.

I normally carry a Post Office Travel card when abroad, but note that there is no wallet for the Norwegian currency. Can anyone advise on the best options for me. I ususally take my Bank credit and debit cards, but these prove quite costly to use.

Thanks
Page 1
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 20th Aug 19, 8:53 AM
    • 8,289 Posts
    • 6,868 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 20th Aug 19, 8:53 AM
    • 20th Aug 19, 8:53 AM
    Norway is very quickly becoming cashless so a card is the sensible option. It is also very expensive so you need to carry lots of cash with you.

There are plenty of zero fee foreign currency cards available.
    • st999
    • By st999 20th Aug 19, 10:02 AM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    st999
    • 20th Aug 19, 10:02 AM
    • 20th Aug 19, 10:02 AM
    I was in Norway last year and never even seen any Norwegian krona.
    I used a Santander Zero credit card for everything.
    They even take them to go to a paid for toilet.
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 20th Aug 19, 12:05 PM
    • 11,944 Posts
    • 23,326 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 20th Aug 19, 12:05 PM
    • 20th Aug 19, 12:05 PM
    We've just come back. Mostly used our Halifax credit card, but we also used Euros for small purchases - small shops etc were happy to take them as was a toilet attendant!
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 20th Aug 19, 2:14 PM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 3,010 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 20th Aug 19, 2:14 PM
    • 20th Aug 19, 2:14 PM
    Your bank debit and credit cards may be costly to use overseas, but they will not cost as much overall as using the likes of the Post Office Travel card..!

Open a Starling Bank account on your phone, perhaps a Monzo account as backup, and let them convert your pounds without fees at the ideal rate when transacting.

https://www.starlingbank.com/
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 20th Aug 19, 2:24 PM
    • 26,520 Posts
    • 69,941 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 20th Aug 19, 2:24 PM
    • 20th Aug 19, 2:24 PM
    The only place we needed a coin was at Lillehammer Ski Jump site - for the loo.

Card even for a coke at Oslo wharf.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 20th Aug 19, 2:41 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 729 Thanks
    michele-p
    • 20th Aug 19, 2:41 PM
    • 20th Aug 19, 2:41 PM
    whatever you choose to spend on, make sure you budget for everything to be VERY expensive. We had a mix of paper money and a post office free credit card. Also watch out if you visit tourist stalls, we went to one in the middle of nowhere, and they do a very crafty thing with the decimal on the handwritten prices. Tried to charge say 15 krona for something that looked like is was priced as 1.50 - luckily we were with her and said no way when they asked the full amount.
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 20th Aug 19, 2:57 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 729 Thanks
    michele-p
    • 20th Aug 19, 2:57 PM
    • 20th Aug 19, 2:57 PM
    one other thing to consider... are you travelling around or mainly staying in big towns/cities like Bergen or Oslo? We found it almost impossible to eat out when out of the cities on our road trip, the Norwegians just don't go out for food like we do. It's fine in the cities, very much similar to the UK, but as soon as you venture out away from the main tourist towns, there's usually just a shop in a town, no pubs, bars, restaurants maybe the odd cafe during the day!

First time ever, but we took a suitcase of food with us, as we were there a week and travelling to new places each day. It was worth the cost on Ryanair for a one way suitcase, filled with easy to make food from Aldi right up to the weight limit. For example a supermarket in Bergen had a head of broccoli for 9! It really is a shock to the system.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,572Posts Today

4,906Users online

Martin's Twitter