Help for Hearing Impairment

Comments

• sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Is the aid "mateing" with the phone?

You normally need to hold the phone further back than when you hear the phone and tha aid should emit the program setting signal for the loop program on the aid or at least this was how it worked when I was able to use a adapted phone, if things have changed someone will post what happens today.

Im with sue, the directoinal program was the most useful until I became totally wheelchair dependant and unable to self propel, then its useless because whoevers pushing you is the only person/noise that you can hear.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    sunnyone wrote: »
    Is the aid "mateing" with the phone?

You normally need to hold the phone further back than when you hear the phone and tha aid should emit the program setting signal for the loop program on the aid or at least this was how it worked when I was able to use a adapted phone, if things have changed someone will post what happens today.
    Yes, you do need to hold the phone in a different position. Also I was given a little magnet and told that if I wanted a hearing aid compatible phone to automatically 'switch' my hearing aid to the T-position, I'd need to stick the magnet on the earpiece of the phone.

I then broke my shoulder, so haven't had a chance to sort this out. I'm going to need a headset when I go back to work.
    sunnyone wrote: »
    Im with sue, the directoinal program was the most useful until I became totally wheelchair dependant and unable to self propel, then its useless because whoevers pushing you is the only person/noise that you can hear.
    My directional program is meant to be what's in front of me, so is yours different?

I mis-read your post, and thought you were unable to hear your pusher. If that is the case, then I have a Sonido which is really helpful in the car. I have to sit in the back, and that means my deaf ear is 'into' the car. I plug the Sonido into the loop it comes with, or put earphones on, give DH the microphone to attach to his shirt, and I can hear the radio and anything he says again. Other listeners are available, possibly even cheaper, but I don't have details.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Guardsman
    Guardsman Posts: 991 Forumite
    Went back to see the audiologist and she activated the volume button seems better so far. She said that the Oticon Spirit Zest does not have the option to be programmed to focus on forward listening only, she said it's all done automatically by the aid ?

I have searched online for the technical specification of the Oticon Spirit Zest and found nothing so far. does anybody know what the commercial equivalent would be for this particular NHS brand ? this information would be useful for my next appointment next month.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
  • Hi Guardsman,

The info on the Oticon website says: "Ask your NHS audiologist for more information". And that is what you will have to do. The Zest is a product only supplied to the NHS. There's little point in bothering about a commercial equivalent unless you are going private, since the NHS won't supply a commercial equivalent to you. The NHS audiologist will have whatever technical specifications you require for the Zest.
  • Hear-Hear wrote: »
    Hi Guardsman,

The info on the Oticon website says: "Ask your NHS audiologist for more information". And that is what you will have to do. The Zest is a product only supplied to the NHS. There's little point in bothering about a commercial equivalent unless you are going private, since the NHS won't supply a commercial equivalent to you. The NHS audiologist will have whatever technical specifications you require for the Zest.

When I ask any questions they seem surprised It's like they are not used to people asking questions.
    When I went there Wed the audiologist was not sure what could or could not be programmed all she said was that everything is done automatically and that's how everybody's is setup.
    The reason I asked if the Oticon Zest has a commercial equivalent was that I could have some idea of it's capabilities or at least it's limitations.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
  • Hear-Hear
    Hear-Hear Posts: 325 Forumite
    edited 10 February 2011 at 1:03AM
    Ahh, Ok Gauardsman. I see where you are coming from.

The closest commercial equivalent to the Zest is the Oticon Vigo Pro. However, the Vigo Pro was available in the private sector for quite some time, and is now obsolete. It was replaced by the Oticon Acto, but the Acto (or whatever name it os branded for to the NHS) will not cascade down to the NHS until the next two or three upgrades have been released to the private market.

Basic details for the Oticon Vigo Pro were - a mid-range 8-channel hearing aid with directional microphones. As it's obsolete, I can't retrieve any more information. All I ever had on this model was paper-based, for reference only, as I don't use Oticon as a supplier.

Hope this helps.

It beggars belief that "the audiologist was not sure what could or could not be programmed". OTOH, it's the main reason why people choose to go private, so I am - in a way - thankful, if you follow my drift. You really should make sure that you are dealt with by someone who has the experience and training, and there are a good number of professionals in the NHS who can do this ..... you just have to make sure that you get to see them.
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Just wanted to add for the person who was asking about supply of NHS batteries - I've been getting my NHS batteries from my surgery but I've just found out that my local pharmacist issues NHS batteries now too so its worth checking in your own area.

I just need to remember to take my book with me when I go ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Guardsman
    Guardsman Posts: 991 Forumite
    edited 13 February 2011 at 7:27PM
    Had another letter in post yesterday for a appointment with the head audiologist a week Monday, I hope this time that I will be upgraded to the Siemens Impact as the bluetooth function will be very useful in my work place and also would be a huge asset when taking part in and organising cycling charity events.
    Question ? Does the NHS have a bluetooth enabled hearing aid in the Oticon range as my local audiology department seems to have a preference for that particular brand.
  • Hear-Hear
    Hear-Hear Posts: 325 Forumite
    edited 14 February 2011 at 9:55PM
    Yes, there is a bluetooth-enabled Oticon hearing aid in the NHS Catalogue, but the name escapes me. I'm sure the head audiologist will know exactly what it is though, if their preferred supplier is Oticon. Whichever manufacturer's product is supplied to you, you will need to purchase the bluetooth accessory kit separately. This can cause some NHS audiology units a problem, as they are not "sellers" of equipment. You may therefore have to source the bluetooth accessory kit elsewhere. You need to budget around £300-£400 for it. Also, be aware that you will have to bring the kit back to audiology dept so that it can be paired with your hearing aids, and the Bluetooth Programme allocated. It can only be done by the audiologist's software. Once that's done, you can pair the kit yourself with whichever audio equipment you wish to use.

If your audiology dept decline to supply the kit to you or decline to pair your 'bought' kit with your hearing aids, then you will have to consider going private. A decent pair of mid-range hearing aids (say 10-12 channels, equivalent to the Impacts) should cost around £1500.00 to £1750.00. With the accessory kit added on, you costs should be £2000.00 or less for the pair. On the plus side, a private audiologist can programme the aids, fine tune them, and pair the bluetooth accessory all in the one fitting. You should also expect as much time as you need, and as many visits as you require, to re-tune and tweak the aids (and the kit) until your absolute optimum setting is achieved.
  • Had appointment with the audiologist today and he said that he would be willing to give me the Siemens Impact but in his opinion the Oticon Zest was a better hearing aid.
    If I wanted to buy the Tek they will order it for me but will cost me £300 and they would arrange for a Siemens technician to pair up the hearing aid with the Tek.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure