Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,422Posts
    • 58,367Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 498
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 19th Nov 19, 5:29 PM
    • 8,220 Posts
    • 35,451 Thanks
    lucielle
    Good for you Dave!
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 59875.83 Overdrafts 2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • pink poppy
    • By pink poppy 20th Nov 19, 3:33 PM
    • 966 Posts
    • 5,891 Thanks
    pink poppy
    Hi everyone (from Argyll )
    I haven't posted for ages but have tried to keep up with everyone's news. It's been fairly quiet on here lately, I hope everyone is doing ok.
    I'm now living permanently (I hope!!) in Scotland. Our house sold within a week of it going on the market and I moved up here a couple of months ago. We're hoping to buy somewhere as soon as possible but the market is a bit too frisky at the moment!! We missed out on the house of our dreams last week so I think we're just going to sit back over the Christmas period and see what happens in the New Year.
    Dave, I had a similar experience to you with PPI. I knew we didn't need it (I was a suspicious so and so as well) but we were led to believe it was part of the application process. I was never happy about paying it and I too cancelled it after a while. I'm hoping we get at least a few pounds back, we've had a letter to say a decision is due within the next 4 weeks...
    Caledonia dreamin' ...
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 21st Nov 19, 9:07 AM
    • 29,931 Posts
    • 103,183 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Well done, poppy, for finally moving north of the border and putting your dream within reach!
    I completely agree with renting first; we did it! You'll have the advantage of being chain free and ready to act when the right thing comes along. Also, you'll know the area better and be able to occupy the new house in an unhurried manner, rather than the mad scramble that often accompanies moves.

Not much to report here. We've cut most of the garden hedges now between us and I've made a start on the last of the road hedge, which probably should have been the first for renovation, as it looks rather thin, but hey-ho.

We're also due to start planting hedging in the yard to soften the look of the thatcher's barn a little. I doubt if we'll ever apply to convert our barn to a residence, but if we did decide to sell it at a future date, the attractiveness its surroundings might make a difference. Also, with the other barn conversions now paying for a gardener and smartening-up their communal areas, we want to reciprocate by tidying our bit and hiding our crappy wood barns that are very functional, but ugly.

I'm re-evaluating willow and eucalyptus as firewood, because they're not as bad as people say if dried correctly. Our willows are coming towards the end of their lives and often break in the gales, but rather than replace them with something noble and slow-growing, I'm now thinking 'more of the same?'
    The BBC recently called Little Mix a girl band. To avoid confusion, this is a real girl band:
    youtube.com/watch?v=pj5ue3M-v6o

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 21st Nov 19, 11:42 PM
    • 13,439 Posts
    • 227,428 Thanks
    greenbee
    I’m burning willow Dave, and it’s fine. It’s dried surprisingly quickly (or maybe I just took ages to process it!).

How are you renovating your hedges? Mine finally has some height, and the tops, where the new growth is, look great, but the bottom is looking prey awful.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 22nd Nov 19, 8:48 AM
    • 29,931 Posts
    • 103,183 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Greenbee, our field hedges were just left for the ten years prior to us arriving here, but on the road hedge the outside face must have been cut annually or there would have been an issue with Highways. It faces a B class road with hourly double deckers and occasional lorries.

So, we inherited a hedge up to 20' high in places. We cut the inside face when we stock-fenced and on alternate years after that, plus annual cutting of the road face every autumn. This gave us a high hedge of very variable thickness.

We had other fish to fry, so it wasn't until about winter 2015 that we began to tackle the road hedge with the hope of achieving a balance between control and wildlife friendliness. We've done about 40m-50m each year since, cutting back many of the trees to leave selected others, mainly oaks, that still have an acceptable shape after being ravaged by occasional attacks from the flail. These trees are now left to grow naturally, though the buses etc trim them a bit!

Trees we cut down, re-sprout vigorously with multiple stems, while stems that aren't too prickly or large, (mainly hazel and oak) are also part cut through and laid horizontally, where they re-sprout, forming maybe 10 or more stems for each one treated that way. All this thickens-up the hedge greatly.

But....as we work, we find places where there was too much ivy or bracken growing and not enough hedge, so into those I plant bare root seedlings by pushing a 6' iron bar into the soil, twisting it around to make a hole and stick the baby tree into that. A quick stomp around and that's it.

Most of the bare root trees we plant now are oaks, hazels, hawthorn and a few others we rescue from places where they spring up, unwanted. They go into a nursery bed for a year or two and then we don't need to pay for something that occurs naturally.

We're on the final phase of that hedge now. The other 3/4 has just been cut; both sides and top, so it will be 3 years before the top is done again on all of it and it'll all be much thicker.

So, a long answer for that specific mixed hedge, but for ordinary garden and single species hedges, the reason they're too thin is usually single row planting and not enough cutting-back in the first years of establishment. Most people go for max height, but in the long run it's not the best way.
    The BBC recently called Little Mix a girl band. To avoid confusion, this is a real girl band:

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 29th Nov 19, 9:13 AM
    • 29,931 Posts
    • 103,183 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I've been back to the hedge laying again, briefly, but the on/off weather has made things tricky and I'm being constantly caught out by the short days now. After my lunchtime doze, I think, "Right, let's get cracking!" and two hours later it's almost dark! Really ought to know better at my age.

This week, we went up to Somerset for the funeral of our friend, who died recently, aged 98. We'd met through school; his second brood of children being the same age as ours, and one in my class. Always jovial and relaxed, Richard lived next door to a popular TV entertainer, whose grandchildren also attended the school, so we had the benefit of his services for things like concerts and our kids had the run of his huge garden, swimming pool etc. Happy days.

The funeral reminded me sharply that those days are now far off. Most of the entertainer's children were there; some now pensioners. One had once been a centrefold girl.

Richard's son gave a great, unscripted eulogy and brought people to tears at different points. The bit I connected with was, "As a child, I never really knew what my Dad did,"... (that's something I never got a straight answer about either!) ... "he just seemed to drift about amiably." In fact, Richard had been a bomber pilot, worked in industry, and he was an author of technical pieces and a part-time biographer. But, as the son put it, "he most enjoyed just pottering at home, reading or out in the garden, having bonfires."

That would sum me up quite well too!

He had the last laugh anyway. I never thought I'd go to a church funeral and hear the strains of "Always Look On The Bright side of Life!"

• in my wellies
    • By in my wellies 30th Nov 19, 9:39 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 875 Thanks
    in my wellies
    Dave, It sounds like your friend had a good life.

I enjoy reading others posts, thank you. I've not much to report. The wet has made me concentrate on inside. I've been making jam, jelly, pickle, chutney and bottling fruit from the garden to make room in the freezer ready for Christmas. I'm only now limited by a lack of jars.

I've decided my hens need toughening up. I let them roam in the garden at this time of year. When it started to rain all went quiet and I couldn't find them. I searched round the back, the veg plot, everywhere only to find them sheltering (an making a mess) in the utility room!

I still can't quite let go of my little piece of Leicestershire. Along one corner I have a blackberry hedge along an old stock fence, about 25 meters, 5 meters nearly joins the bottom corner of a neighbouring property on a different lane. He has a privet hedge at the bottom of his garden nearly joining my land. There is about two meters between the roots of his privet and my stock fence. All the gardens along his lane have this space between their hedge and the stock fence, each with a gate, presumably so each can cut the back of the hedge. Once a year my neighbour comes through and cuts his privet but then turns around and slashes down all my blackberries leaving the 5m wide open. Any attempt at growing sapling is hopeless even when labels twice the size of the plant are attached. Negotiation is futile, I've tried many times. Thank goodness for more distant neighbours in Devon. Sorry for the rant

On a positive note mum got her winter fuel allowance and said I should have it because 'I need the heat on all the time'. I know her dementia won't be cured but her new tablets are definitely having a calming effect and hopefully clearer thinking
    Last edited by in my wellies; 30-11-2019 at 9:41 PM.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 1st Dec 19, 12:38 PM
    • 5,822 Posts
    • 46,904 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hi all..
    been off radar again but feel like a human again so ....

weather was atrocious here and fields very boggy so ive been playing musical fields with the horses to try and prevent to much "bog'ing" ...
    our fields back onto the perimeter of the beaulieu river [with a public riverside walk between ] . the bit between that and the river is an SSI... the marina on part has been visible in a picturesque way ...BUT they have decided to extend the moorings and this is "supposed" to be for visiting smaller boats .... [hmmmm] friend who owns the fields put in objections via a professional consultant so all facts put forward ...ignored ! and it got permission ??
    they only mentioned the few new spaces going to be available and not the full extent of the area being "developed" to the public
    they have already "spread " the work yard area by 100% sneakily [but google earth shows before and after AND even the different colour of the stone used on the surface ] nah ! been since approved ...
    now the fact that the planning officer is a member of the yacht club AND the wildlife people rent offices from the estate OF COURSE has nothing to do with it !!!
    needless to say the noise and light pollution of the dredgers working 24/7 is driving us mad ! so much for the SSI !
    sorry rant over !

mum had a fall and twisted her ankle ! BUT she is up and at 'em still . she really is an old battle axe in the nicest possible way ...

ive spent the last 2 days turning the house upside down for some vital documents and its so frustrating as I KNOW ive seen them recently and put them somewhere SAFE ... so safe I cant bl**dy find them ... need them for tomorrow !!

its been bright sunny but VERY cold here for the last 4/5 days ... better than rain !

if ive missed vital info from you peeps , sorry
    • in my wellies
    • By in my wellies 1st Dec 19, 5:58 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 875 Thanks
    in my wellies
    alfie, have you scanned your documents and left them in the scanner? That's where I found my passport after running round like a headless chicken for 1/2 a day last summer.
    As always no one thinks/cares about how these planning decisions affect ordinary people

Cold and frosty all day here - lovely!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 1st Dec 19, 6:08 PM
    • 29,931 Posts
    • 103,183 Thanks
    Davesnave
    The development of the Marina is going to bring in more tax for the council, I expect, alfie.

Money opens doors and excuses people; like these posh folk who jet around the place for their 'important' activities, but it's all OK because they offset their carbon when someone else plants some trees for them. I'd be more convinced if they planted the trees themselves!

Glad your Mum is still bouncing back and you haven't been zombified after all.

I know what you mean about those infuriating searches. I had one only a few days ago, where I turned the place upside-down, looking for some bacon, only to draw a complete blank. I was panicking a bit, imagining rotting bacon somewhere daft. Eventually, I found the receipt, which listed all the meat items, bought, but no bacon. Only then did I recall I'd spotted it wasn't British, so I decided not to buy any.

Think you may need a roll of razor wire for your Leicestershire neighbour, wellies. Either that, or a man trap.

Long ago now, when we moved down here, we retained a bit of our old garden. I don't want to give you ideas, but one reason why several neighbours were very keen to buy it was the decaying commercial greenhouse sited there. I'd also planted an evergreen tree directly behind the neighbour who put in a loft conversion overlooking our carefully screened upper garden. He got the special joy of buying it and then cutting it down!

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 4th Dec 19, 8:05 PM
    • 29,931 Posts
    • 103,183 Thanks
    Davesnave
    OK it's picture time for our secret garden, which may be a secret copse one day:

I know it isn't exactly the winter garden at Rosemoor, but I'm quite pleased with the overall effect. The fields are looking a little grim now.

The picture will get larger if you click it, but full resolution takes ages....or maybe I need a new hamster.

The Liquidambar will be stunning when it becomes larger. The prickly thing centre frame is a Hawthorn, Crategus prunifolia, which had a fiery display + berries about a month ago. The birds have stripped it now. Slightly to the right, in the border, is quite a large Foxglove tree and the little thing on the right is a Gingko we planted about a month ago. There's also a fastigiate hornbeam, pretending its a poplar.

Anyway, I just felt like a picture, as I'm fed up with the election and other depressing stuff!
    Last edited by Davesnave; 04-12-2019 at 8:09 PM.

• lucielle
    • By lucielle 5th Dec 19, 10:28 AM
    • 8,220 Posts
    • 35,451 Thanks
    lucielle
    Lovely picture.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 59875.83 Overdrafts 2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • pink poppy
    • By pink poppy 5th Dec 19, 3:00 PM
    • 966 Posts
    • 5,891 Thanks
    pink poppy
    Your secret garden is looking lovely, Dave. I love a frosty looking lawn as well.
    It's blowing a hooley and raining cats and dogs here today so I won't be venturing outside. We had a couple of weeks of dry, icy cold weather when everyone else was getting heavy rain so I can't really complain
    We're viewing a house next week, but I'm in two minds about it. It looks lovely inside, but it's right next to a very busy main road I'm researching sound reducing fence panels etc... I don't think it would be our forever home, but it would get us on the property ladder here.
    Caledonia dreamin' ...
    • ukmaggie45
    • By ukmaggie45 5th Dec 19, 5:07 PM
    • 2,968 Posts
    • 20,123 Thanks
    ukmaggie45
    We're viewing a house next week, but I'm in two minds about it. It looks lovely inside, but it's right next to a very busy main road
    Originally posted by pink poppy
    It's not just noise if it's a busy main road - think about air quality too. Once all cars are electric you'll be OK, but their far from that at present. Also check what new roads there may be...

We bought a terraced house on a main road, a bus route too. When we moved in (1973) it wasn't too bad. But then the International Garden Festival happened.

After the year of that was up they ran a road through the middle of the site, which connected through a (now very busy) cross road with traffic lights to a road going to our road, which became VERY busy, used as a short cut by delivery wagons etc to various supermarkets etc.

Now they're looking at building a lot of flats on parts of the site (some were built a while ago) so they're looking at turning the road into dual carriageway. The traffic will he HELL at the aforementioned traffic lights! It already is, but it'll be worse.

So beware buying on a busy road.

Good luck with the house hunting though.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Dec 19, 10:26 AM
    • 29,931 Posts
    • 103,183 Thanks
    Davesnave
    We're viewing a house next week, but I'm in two minds about it. It looks lovely inside, but it's right next to a very busy main road I'm researching sound reducing fence panels etc... I don't think it would be our forever home, but it would get us on the property ladder here.
    Originally posted by pink poppy
    It's tempting to go for the ones that offer good value, which inevitably have a down-side, but there are different sorts of down-sides. One that suggests you might wish to move again in the foreseeable future should have the cost of that move factored-into the calculations you do, because moving's never cheap.

Having said that, I agreed to buy this property as a stop-gap in a period of crazy economics, when owning 'just money' seemed a bit risky. Wiemar Republic and all that. Didn't really want to be here.

And here we are, 10+ years on!

• MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 6th Dec 19, 7:02 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 2,929 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    There is a reason why the TV programme is called Location, Location, Location!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Dec 19, 11:56 PM
    • 29,931 Posts
    • 103,183 Thanks
    Davesnave
    There is a reason why the TV programme is called Location, Location, Location!
    Originally posted by MysteryMe
    But in the real world, it's usually:

The house you want...
    The location you want....
    The price you want....

Pick two.

• alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 7th Dec 19, 6:35 PM
    • 5,822 Posts
    • 46,904 Thanks
    alfie 1
    house prices etc ....

around here [beaulieu and bucklers hard] in the late 70's a certain house cost 30,000
    it was in an acre of ground , 5 bedroom etc [not renovated]
    renovated same house has just sold for 2 million !!!

another set in 20 acres cost 750,000 21 years ago , renovated house,cottage, barns etc now worth 10 million !!!

a simple terrace 2/3 bed in lymington close to the centre is aprox 350k plus

absolutely no hope for first time buyers .... my son has a good job but pay is sh*te [firefighter] and he cant even get a mortgage over 200k ...

fab place to live but so over priced it is ridiculous ..

I took rose out on her cob pony today . with his Rudolph antlers on !! we went on road down to the marina , dodged the barrier garrotting us and then did the riverside walk ... ended up trotting alongside an activity area where lots of kids were hurtling through the woods armed with some sort of sonic guns having a whale of a time and pony took no notice thank goodness ... got to the end of the track only to be met by the gate now being LOCKED !! so we had to turn round and retrace our steps ... to say I was kernackered was putting it mildly ... but great fun was had .

I have just hauled 2 xmas trees out of the shed ... no mice this year ! put one in dining room and other in lounge ... not decorated as I am testing BIG DOG as to his retrieving anything that looks like a branch through the house !! so far so good but will give him a couple of days to get acclimatised !!

weather has been dry and cold here , usually between 2 and 10 degrees daytime . dam sight colder at night ! my feral cats are snuggling into their sheepskins in the summer house ...

keep safe and keep warm peeps xx
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Dec 19, 12:27 AM
    • 29,931 Posts
    • 103,183 Thanks
    Davesnave
    The newly/partially-weds and I were on a Christmas tree hunt this afternoon, in the usual place, down in the valley.

DW's away for 3 weeks, staying with her folks, so she can sell jewellery for her old boss in the Christmas Market. The money's good and it's a radical change from the very quiet life here. Not only is it busy anyway, but she's been doing 10 years of catch-up with people she knows!

Anyway, in the absence of DW, I was charged with choosing our tree; something I've never been allowed to do before. Normally, I just trail along, carrying the ribbons with which we mark promising-looking trees. Then, we go round again, removing them till the 'perfect' tree is left. Takes at least an hour.

Today I applied simple logic and chose the tree in 10 minutes!

It's obvious: if the sales area/car park is in Place X, then remaining trees growing close to X will have been viewed and rejected by dozens of people already. Most of the good ones will have been cut and taken away.

Soooo....go as far as possible from X and there will be many more good trees, especially if they're on a steep slope.

So the kids had their tree cut today and ours is sporting a red ribbon + label with "Reserved for Dave" on it. I'll go back next weekend and have it cut.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,907Posts Today

6,766Users online

Martin's Twitter