Help for Hearing Impairment

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Does anyone know if I can get free batteries for my hearing aids funded through access to work? Do the NHS only supply certain types of battery? Mine are the tiny 10ZA size.
    I must admit, I have let my NHS audiology appointments lapse (I haven't been for a few years as I've been going to my hearing aid supplier instead - naughty, I know!) I just wondered if it would be worth asking, as I really should have regular appointments again!
    I don't know if batteries can be supplied through Access to Work, but AFAIK the NHS would provide batteries for ANY NHS aid. But IIRC yours aren't NHS ones, are they? So, only way to find out is to ask.

However, if you think you're in need of another audiology appointment, get yourself back in the system!

As for DLA and hearing impairment, you'd have to be able to demonstrate that there were things you couldn't do unaided, I think. Now, obviously we all 'cope' with daily life to a greater or lesser degree. Suddenly losing it like rosieben did must be far more difficult than the gradual creeping up that I suffer from - it runs in the family! There are things I choose NOT to do - no point going to large social gatherings with dimmed lights and loud music, for example. But there's nothing I CAN'T do in my daily life.

If you had help from someone like Welfare Rights with the DLA form, they'd help you make clear what you were unable to do. One thing which can go with deafness is balance problems, so if that affects daily activities that's relevant.

DLA is rarely a tick box exercise, though, so 'just' being deaf isn't enough! But I don't even think that being severely sight impaired is enough, on its own, either ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    ... As for DLA and hearing impairment, you'd have to be able to demonstrate that there were things you couldn't do unaided, I think. Now, obviously we all 'cope' with daily life to a greater or lesser degree.

Yes I thought that would be the case. I can mostly do things myself, only needed my sis to be here when I had builders, plumbers etc to deal with just in case I misheard anything :D.

I shall approach SS and see if they could help with cost of equipment or loan of equipment and I'll be more than happy with that.

Just one point, after years of frustration with not being able to record subtitles on a tv programme - I tried the telemole and found it not much use, I was saving up for a special vcr which recorded analogue subtitles but they took it off the market! I've just had freesat installed and its great to be able to record programmes with subtitles :T
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Savvy_Sue
    rosieben wrote: »
    Just one point, after years of frustration with not being able to record subtitles on a tv programme - I tried the telemole and found it not much use, I was saving up for a special vcr which recorded analogue subtitles but they took it off the market! I've just had freesat installed and its great to be able to record programmes with subtitles :T
    Oh good, we've got a Freeview box but haven't managed to record anything at all from it, with or without subtitles! :rotfl: Fortunately it's not yet an issue, although sometimes I'd use them. Sometimes I'd like to rewind them, IYSWIM. "What did he just say?" I ask DH. "Dunno", says he, "didn't catch it."
  • bluedog
    bluedog Posts: 502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I lost my analogue hearing aid a good few years ago and when I eventually fessed up to it, I was charged about £45 for it's replacement. I dropped that one down the loo once too, but fortunately, the water was clean and it worked ok once I let it dry out.

I now have 2 digital aids which I'm told are worth about £1K each ........ I am now very very careful about what I do with them!
  • Savvy_Sue wrote: »

DLA is rarely a tick box exercise, though, so 'just' being deaf isn't enough! But I don't even think that being severely sight impaired is enough, on its own, either ...

Ah...but depending on that severity they can get the TV licence reduced...

Although looking logically, I pay my licence for the laughs I get watching live TV with live sub-titles..... :rotfl:
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Although looking logically, I pay my licence for the laughs I get watching live TV with live sub-titles..... :rotfl:

gives people some very interesting names sometimes :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • lozzer90
    lozzer90 Posts: 3,079 Forumite
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Oh good, we've got a Freeview box but haven't managed to record anything at all from it, with or without subtitles! :rotfl: Fortunately it's not yet an issue, although sometimes I'd use them. Sometimes I'd like to rewind them, IYSWIM. "What did he just say?" I ask DH. "Dunno", says he, "didn't catch it."

Have you tried to get a T Loop system fitted to your TV, Disability Solutions fitted me one for free, its great
    Start every day with a smile and get it over with. :D

• SmileyS_2
    SmileyS_2 Posts: 196 Forumite
    What a fab thread!

May I jump in with a question ?

My little boy is hearing impaired,he has an over 70% loss and hearing aids made no differance what so ever.He is on the Looonnnnggggg waiting list for a BAHA but still won't sleep in it.
    Our smoke alarm went off the other night (for no reason thankfully!) and he didn't even stir,I'm pretty scared that if god forbid there was a fire and we couldn't get to him he would sleep through it

Anyone know where I can get a vibrating alarm for a child? Or any other pointers on things to get him would be much appreciated

SS x
  • lozzer90
    lozzer90 Posts: 3,079 Forumite
    SmileyS wrote: »
    What a fab thread!

May I jump in with a question ?

My little boy is hearing impaired,he has an over 70% loss and hearing aids made no differance what so ever.He is on the Looonnnnggggg waiting list for a BAHA but still won't sleep in it.
    Our smoke alarm went off the other night (for no reason thankfully!) and he didn't even stir,I'm pretty scared that if god forbid there was a fire and we couldn't get to him he would sleep through it

Anyone know where I can get a vibrating alarm for a child? Or any other pointers on things to get him would be much appreciated

SS x

Hi
    I got a vibrating alarm from disability solution its a clock which has a pad connected which goes under the pillow also i know some of the clocks have a bleeper that you carry around which can be connected to the smoke alarm & when it goes off it vibrates. If you've not got a DS near you ring the fire station & see if they can offer you anything
    Start every day with a smile and get it over with. :D

• Savvy_Sue
    lozzer90 wrote: »
    Have you tried to get a T Loop system fitted to your TV, Disability Solutions fitted me one for free, its great
    Nah, honest, my loss is really so mild, plus I've got normal hearing in the other ear. Well, so far anyway! I look at my older siblings and I think I know where I'm going ...

The two things I can't do are hold a phone to my left ear, and follow a conversation in a noisy room. But I've struggled with the latter all my life ...
    lozzer90 wrote: »
    Hi
    I got a vibrating alarm from disability solution its a clock which has a pad connected which goes under the pillow also i know some of the clocks have a bleeper that you carry around which can be connected to the smoke alarm & when it goes off it vibrates. If you've not got a DS near you ring the fire station & see if they can offer you anything
    I'd consider ringing the fire station first. They're bound to know where you can get something suitable if they don't fit such things themselves.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport