Flybe misselling tickets

A couple of months ago my wife had to fly from Cologne to Manchester using Flybe. We bought the ticket from their website and everything was OK. She had to fly via Southend. Nothing unusual though 65 minutes between both flights seemed a little tight but still no red light. When she arrived at the Cologne airport they refused to check in her luggage to Manchester and she was told that she would have to self transfer her luggage at the Southend airport (Nothing like that on the ticket and nothing like that during the whole process of booking and paying for the flight). So she refused to check in because we thought it would be impossible for her to self transfer with 65 minutes between flights (provided the first flight was on time). I called Flybe customer service and initially they said they didn't know anything about this, after holding me on the phone for about half an hour and talking to her managers the girl told me this was Cologne Airport’s policy and they would check it. And she told me my wife needed to check in and self transfer and there was nothing they could do. Then I asked what if in this case she misses her flight to Manchester? I was told that in this case this would have been my wife’s problem because they wouldn’t have been responsible for this. I absolutely rejected to accept this outcome, told them that if we had known for the self transfer we would have never booked this flight and asked them for a solution. After talking to her managers again, the girl told me that the only solution they could provide was a later flight to Manchester 4 hours after the original one and if we wanted to take it she would book my wife free of charge (YEAH, REALLY!). Well, we had no choice but accept this and then I told them that we weren’t happy and we would seek compensation for making my wife stay high and dry for four more hours in the middle of nowhere. They said we could do that after the flight. I was authorised by my wife to act on her behalf and contacted Flybe 3 times within a month because they didn’t seem to bother themselves. Finally they replied and transferred this to their franchise Stobart Air that had operated the flight. I didn’t really care about the Stobart because I never bought any tickets from them and the agreements between both companies are not my problem but anyway I wanted to see what would happen. So what happened was that Stobart rejected the claim with the reasoning that we agreed to the change and there was a text buried somewhere in the Flybe T&Cs saying that Southend Airport has no facilities for luggage transfer. This may be so, but it was not obvious during the booking so I’m going to try my chances. So I have several questions and assumptions:

• I actually need to continue chasing Flybe and ignore Stobart because I never had anything bought from Stobart, is that right?
  • I was forced to accept this change facing the alternative of my wife being left by herself in the other end of the country so they owe me one here.
  • The most important question is what is my next step after they tell me that they reject my claim in full? What is the authority that I can escalate it to?
It’s very long, so thank you for reading.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,349
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    I dont think you have a case but better to post on the dedicated flybe delay./compensation board

You werent forced to accept the change and Southend is so small that 65 minutes would have been ample time

PS southend isnt in the middle of nowhere, in fact I hear the beach was packed yesterday
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Southend is a tiny little airport with on average only two planes landing an hour, she would have had no problem transferring there, there was no need for her to refuse to check in, as it was her choice to refuse I can't see what compensation you are due.

Stobart own SEN
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • radoslaff
    radoslaff Posts: 168
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 8 May 2018 at 4:58PM
    Well, I don't know how to move the thread there, so if the moderators decide to move it, please do. Besides, technically it's neither a cancellation nor a delay. I understand you know Southend very well. I don't. Flybe weren't able to guarantee that my wife wouldn't miss her flight and they didn't warn us in advance what was the case. I don't think everybody knows all the little airports everywhere. And when you are left high and dry hundreds of miles away from where you are supposed to be it's not different from the middle of nowhere. I think the case is there. The question was who to persue and what is the next authority. I'll appreciate if somebody advises on that. Thanks again.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,841
    Forumite
    Firstly it is unclear, to me at least, whether she missed the flight at Southend or not? If she didn't then there is no tree to bark up. I agree that the Flybe/ Stobart issue is confusing but as code shares expand this issue is only going to get worse.

Any claim, if she had to wait 4 hours, is against the actual carrier which you now realise is Stobart. The reality may well have been that it was the same aircraft operating both flights and therefore even if the first flight was late, the second one would not have been missed, a quick comment to the crew on board would have given some reassurance but the real issue is whether she had to spend 4 hours at Southend or not
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Forumite
    radoslaff wrote: »
    Well, I don't know how to move the thread there, so if the moderators decide to move it, please do. Besides, technically it's neither a cancellation nor a delay. I understand you know Southend very well. I don't. Flybe weren't able to guarantee that my wife wouldn't miss her flight and they didn't warn us in advance what was the case. I don't think everybody knows all the little airports everywhere. And when you are left high and dry hundreds of miles away from where you are supposed to be it's not different from the middle of nowhere. I think the case is there. The question was who to persue and what is the next authority. I'll appreciate if somebody advises on that. Thanks again.

Your wife would have had a case if she'd checked in for her flight and then missed the connection, however, she CHOSE not to check in, there is no case for a delay when the passenger chooses not to fly for no other reason than they 'think' the connection is too tight. it's really that simple.

And had she taken the original flight and missed the connection she would have been put on the next available flight at no cost to herself.
    https://www.flybe.com › Home › Ticket Rules
    It is the operating carrier's responsibility to meet these requirements. In the event that Flybe or one of its franchise partners fail to operate to schedule meaning a connection booked as part of a Flybe connection is missed, then we will make every effort to reacommodate passengers onto the nearest available flight.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • radoslaff
    Forumite
    In general I agree to everything you say here. In general... Thank you, Peachyprice, for your research. I agree with Alan too, but with one little but... I was explicitly told over the phone that if she had missed her connecting flight for any reason, she would have been left there without any right to be booked in for the next flight and without any refund or compensation (I believe this has been recorded). Maybe I shouldn't have believed them and we should have taken the risk but at the time we were in a shock. It might have been a clear cut all the time but the lack of information initially and their controvercial information over the phone made us choose the smaller devil at the moment, which doesn't mean it was small. I may be turned down or I may not but if I persue the issue and if 10 more people do it in the future or 100 more people, there is a chance that eventually they will put the relevant information on a visible place during the booking process and people won't panic at the check-in. So can anybody tell me what is the next step after their final rejection? Thanks
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,031
    Forumite
    A couple of months ago my wife had to fly from Cologne to Manchester using Flybe. She had to fly via Southend. Nothing unusual though 65 minutes between both flights seemed a little tight but still no red light. When she arrived at the Cologne airport they refused to check in her luggage to Manchester and she was told that she would have to self transfer her luggage at the Southend airport (Nothing like that on the ticket and nothing like that during the whole process of booking and paying for the flight).

I can maybe explain the issue with the baggage here goes:

When your wife flew from CGN to SEN she would pass through immigration and if she was to terminate her trip there then her baggage would also pass by those devilishly handsome young men and women in Customs.

However if she had wanted her bag to transit through to MAN then the baggage would never pass through customs with the owner of said bag, ie your wife, and when it arrived at MAN the bag would arrive as a domestic bag therefore circumventing customs controls arriving from out side the UK, this of course cant be allowed to happen.

However the set up at SEN is slightly different to a lot of other airports, there is no direct airside transit therefore you still have to make your way out and then back through security to get back airside also regardless of where your end destination is you still need to collect your baggage and make your way past customs.

photome wrote: »

PS southend isnt in the middle of nowhere, in fact I hear the beach was packed yesterday

Indeed it was and the local council done a stirling job of clearing up the rubbish all the visiting oiks left on the beach yesterday!
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    . So can anybody tell me what is the next step after their final rejection? Thanks

Give up, you have not got a leg to stand on.
  • newuser86
    newuser86 Posts: 312
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm still confused why she didn't take the flight and transfer her luggage which often happens especially on indirect US flights..

In all honesty there is very little you can probably do. I don't think Flybe missold the flight as the flight you purchased was running, not delayed - there was just an issue with the luggage self transfer.
  • radoslaff
    Forumite
    Well, I will certainly give up here. :)
    If anybody had answered my simple question, I would have updated you with the outcome. Obviously I'll have to keep it for myself. Many thanks to everybody.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure