Time to turn this around

FiscalPickle
FiscalPickle Posts: 159 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 18 December 2017 at 5:58PM in Debt free diaries
I had my lightbulb moment recently. Despite the fact I have a good job in an industry that means I should know better, I've got myself into a bit of a pickle. The goal for the next 2 years will be getting out of debt, out of the consolidation trap and into a good position re savings. The 2 years after that will be aimed at saving for a house deposit. My debts are:-

HSBC loan £7872.48
Virgin credit card £4019.39
MBNA credit card £2825
Car loan £5011
Tax bill £139

Grand total of £21,266.47 :( - I realise this doesn't add up please see post dated 18/12/17 for explanation!

Once Christmas is out of the way and I've paid the tax bill, which is due at the end of the year, I've worked out a budget as follows:-

Rent, household bills, food 1060
HSBC loan 238.56
MBNA CC 75
Virgin CC 400
Car 94.89
Car ins 29.08
Car service & repairs 50
Contact lens scheme 26
Entertainment 50
Christmas & birthdays 80
Clothes/shoes 50
Hair 40
Holiday fund 60
Emergency fund 50

This comes to £2303.53, my nett wage is £2,305. I'm throwing all I can at the Virgin balance until I've paid the spending part off, £1200 of this is on 0% until November. Then I'll concentrate on the MBNA, then the HSBC loan. Then I'll reevaluate. The HSBC loan is 7% APR, I'm halfway through paying that so most of the interest has probably been paid. I've set up the piggy accounts for car maintenance, holidays and emergencies. I've been in the habit of saving for Christmas and birthdays all year for some time now. Here goes!
£20k debt paid off, now saving for mortgage deposit
In the process of shedding 42lbs

Comments

• Good luck with your debt busting :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Happy new diary, and good luck with it
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Good budget. Was the HSBC a consolidation loan and have you sorted out where you are overspending?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,257 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Hi enthusiastic saver :j
    Yes, the HSBC loan was to consolidate a smaller loan and some CC debt as I’d got a bit lost with 0% balance transfers.

I’ve sorted an Excel spreadsheet, have put incomings, outgoings and what I’ve spent on CCs for the last 6 months in to see where I’m going wrong. It’s a combination of the consolidation trap and living a lifestyle I just can’t afford at the moment. So I’ve set my budget and will stick to it. Some other things I’ve done recently to take back control...

1. Worked my bum off and got a promotion. Small pay rise this October, plus a further £3k PA next October taking me to £41k before tax
    2. eBayed a lot of stuff, made £170 so far
    3. Made a Christmas budget, planned what I’d buy and stuck to that
    4. Made inroads on tax bill - £145 so far
  • My to do list for the next few weeks:-

1. Pay remainder of tax bill by end of year
    2. Aim to further reduce food spending - use the freezer and store cupboard more effectively
    3. Use a snowball Calc to work out DFD
    4. Take jar of spare change to bank - there’s at least £50 in there
    5. Join local library
  • Today is planned as a NSD.

Went to the library at lunchtime, which will save me a packet as I love to read physical and Kindle books. The best Kindle bargain I got this year was War & Peace for 99p, took be blooming months to get through that! However, you can't beat free so the library it is until the debt is £0.

I've been bringing sandwiches in to work for a little while now, as I totted up the spend in M&S and other sandwich shops over a period of working weeks and the figure was astronomical :eek:
    The plan for lunchbreaks now is packed lunch from home, which comes out of the grocery budget and a walk - free.

Part of the reason for my debt accumulation was that my previous job was affecting my mental health, so I took it upon myself to live high on the hog (on credit). I'm now coming out of that fog, recently it has come to light that I've also gained around 20lbs. (I knew this anyway, but was in denial). I would like to do Weight Watchers or something similar as this has worked well in the past, I like the structure of these plans and the accountability of the weigh-in. Now I just need to find the MSE-friendly way of doing this....
  • A successful NSD, happy with that. I have a couple of books from the library to get stuck into, I think my reading range will widen considerably now. I'm very impressed that I've managed to go a whole 24 hours without popping into the shop or coffee place on the ground floor of my workplace even once.

Have started looking at store cupboard ingredients, I'm planning on making chickpea burgers for tomorrow's tea as there is a bag of carrots in the fridge and a tin of chickpeas in the cupboard. A bit of frozen veg and some basmati rice cooked with half a stock cube should make that a nutritious and cheap tea. Before, if I was feeling tired or just generally CBA I would invariably order a Chinese or pizza. The owners of these joints may not be able to holiday in the Caribbean next year :rotfl:
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Hi FiscalPickle :D

Another big book fan here...
    Check out BookBub and GoodReads for cheap deals on e-books and kindle offers etc.
    Myself and friends share a VAST library of e-books which we refer to as The Unseen Library, between us we have built it up over the last few years and swap files etc.
    Also have loads of real books

Looks like you have a sound game plan and walking everywhere is a great way to keep active and shed unwanted weight.

Keep on keeping on, you're doing grand so far ;)
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • Hi FiscalPickle, your library may offer schemes whereby you can borrow e-magazines, Ebooks and audio books as part of your library membership. It's definitely worth looking into.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure