PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Are solicitors always so slow?!

Hi all,

My partner and I are first time buyers buying new build property, we’ve reserved the plot with the builders, met with a mortgage advisor and have been given a mortgage in principle (yey!) and have spoken with a solicitor to get the ball rolling with our contracts.
However, I spoke to the solicitor over a week ago and provided her with the information she asked for and I’ve not heard from her since!

I’ve emailed her since to let her know we have a mortgage in principal and to let her know the estate agent has given me a time scale for the build which will be ready in October. But still nothing... are all solicitors slow? I don’t want to seem like I’m pestering but I just want to get on with everything now!

Anyone else experienced anything like this and has advice for me?

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi - although not a FTB - we have recently exchanged on a new build (should be ready Aug/Sept) and we experienced a delay initially - this was because our solicitor was waiting to receive the contract from the builders - so you will probably find that is what your solicitor is waiting for.

In our case it took just under 2 weeks before the contract pack was received by my solicitor. You could try mentioning it to the new build sales advisor and see if they can speed things up??!!

Good luck !
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    How did you choose her? Reputation, reviews, qualifications or price?

What did you agree with solicitor about how/when they would respond?
  • Alleygator
    Alleygator Posts: 16 Forumite
    Hi - although not a FTB - we have recently exchanged on a new build (should be ready Aug/Sept) and we experienced a delay initially - this was because our solicitor was waiting to receive the contract from the builders - so you will probably find that is what your solicitor is waiting for.

In our case it took just under 2 weeks before the contract pack was received by my solicitor. You could try mentioning it to the new build sales advisor and see if they can speed things up??!!

Good luck !

I’m hoping that’s what it is! Just annoying as surely she could just reply to let me know that’s what is happening, I’m just too excited and want to get on with it haha!
  • Alleygator
    Alleygator Posts: 16 Forumite
    How did you choose her? Reputation, reviews, qualifications or price?

What did you agree with solicitor about how/when they would respond?

She was recommended by the estate agent as she’s dealt with the majority of the other buyers on the site plus if we use her the builders will pay for half of our fees which is a mega plus for us. I’ve also done a lot of research before we contacted her to make sure she was going to be reliable and all reviews I can find are extremely positive.

Nothing was ever agreed, I emailed her to explain that her details had been passed on via the estate agent and about our situation. She then emailed back and said she would be happy to act for us and asked for basic details such as names, addresses and property price and explained the exchange of contract and completion processes and said she was going to open a case for us and I haven’t heard anything since.
  • Jojomissy
    Jojomissy Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    So she is linked to the developers...big mistake!

It is not worth scrimping on a few hundred for legal fees, get an independent solicitor. Why do you think the estate agents recommended them?
    £££££ in their pocket.
  • Akahotpot
    Akahotpot Posts: 155 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    They seem to work on a nothing to tell you principle rather than a manage expectation principle
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Solicitors can be slow, especially early on. But I agree that is this is the builder's solicitor, you are not likely to get good service - the good thing about your own solicitor is that you know they are working for you, and can usually trust their judgement when you can't trust the agent (who will tell you all kinds of nonsense about how close you are to completing, pressurise you to move things on etc) but I wouldn't 100% trust the reassurances of one employed by the developer.

As this is a new development it could be quite some time before anything happens.

NB, as you have probably been told, don't give notice or anything before the place is ready to move into, odds are it will not be ready in October. Thought it worth saying, as have too often heard people getting themselves in a scrape by being overly optimistic.

Good luck, and hold onto your hats!
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Some or all of these may apply:
    • It always takes longer than you think it should
    • They may be waiting on responses from other people/3rd parties
    • They generally contact you when they need to, not to simply pass the time of day, or phone you to say they've got nothing to tell you about
    • You're not their only client
    • Other clients are closer to exchange than you are
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Alleygator wrote: »

However, I spoke to the solicitor over a week ago and provided her with the information she asked for and I!!!8217;ve not heard from her since!

You'll need a mortgage offer before matters will proceed. The developers solicitor won't be taking any action either. Pointless to waste time (and your money) if matters don't proceed.

Is the property ready for oocupation?
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You have to remember that solicitors are often not dealing with just your property at any one time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure