MSE News: Shopping at Tesco this month? Your bill may be rounded up for charity

Options

Comments

• jellyneck07
    Options
    This makes me sick. The people who can least afford it being conned for charity. Isn't about time we started to embarrass the likes of Apple into sorting out the worlds problems. Apple computers have in the bank in cold hard cash £246 BILLION. They have more ready cash than the U.K. and Canada put together, and that doesn't include fixed assets like buildings etc. Its about time we started asking the likes of them to cough up.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    This makes me sick. The people who can least afford it being conned for charity. Isn't about time we started to embarrass the likes of Apple into sorting out the worlds problems. Apple computers have in the bank in cold hard cash £246 BILLION. They have more ready cash than the U.K. and Canada put together, and that doesn't include fixed assets like buildings etc. Its about time we started asking the likes of them to cough up.
    What does an American company have to do with 2 UK charities?
  • Paul_Herring
    Options
    I know I shouldn't respond to what is clearly a trolling (and OT) first post, but...

And what do you propose when after you "ask," they don't give you want?

You "ask" a bit harder?

Resort to (state-sanctioned of course) theft?

I'd rather not live in a kleptocracy TYVM. Otherwise, after they give up on the companies, they'll start raiding your (and every other private citizen's) bank account for that money.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • deely
    deely Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wasn't asked and wasn't rounded up for me today, didn't hear any other assistant ask and didn't see any signs either
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Otherwise, after they give up on the companies, they'll start raiding your (and every other private citizen's) bank account for that money.

They already do; it's called taxation.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Paul_Herring
    Options
    They already do; it's called taxation.

Nah - most of that state-sanctioned thievery happens before the money reaches the bank...

:rotfl:
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • pjran
    pjran Posts: 1,902 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There should be a whole list of charities to choose from. I have no objections to paying a few pence on every shop I make at Tesco but would dearly like to pick whom I'm contributing to.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    pjran wrote: »
    There should be a whole list of charities to choose from. I have no objections to paying a few pence on every shop I make at Tesco but would dearly like to pick whom I'm contributing to.
    I can see that clogging up the tills and self service tills whilst people think about whether
    1. they want to round up
    2. and if they do, which charity they should give to.

Surely the aim of shopping is to fill your basket, pay and get the hell out of there as soon as possible.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I can see that clogging up the tills and self service tills whilst people think about whether
    1. they want to round up
    2. and if they do, which charity they should give to.

Surely the aim of shopping is to fill your basket, pay and get the hell out of there as soon as possible.

Not necessarily. At least one customer card scheme allows you to pick the charity you want to give to from a long list of charities.

You do have to register an interest into donating to the charity of your choices before you go in to shop though.

So it would be only, do want to round up. Even this could be done away with if you oped in into this on your card before you shop.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Pollycat
    Options
    robin58 wrote: »
    Not necessarily. At least one customer card scheme allows you to pick the charity you want to give to from a long list of charities.

You do have to register an interest into donating to the charity of your choices before you go in to shop though.

So it would be only, do want to round up. Even this could be done away with if you oped in into this on your card before you shop.
    Well, the self service tills in our local Tesco Metro were backed up when I went in.
    I usually pop in at the same time several times a week to check if they've got any bargains and the queues were twice as long as normal.

The 'do you want to round up?' screen pops up and people have to read it and opt in or out before moving on to the 'pay' screen..
    I was aware of this and can read & digest information pretty quickly but it did put extra seconds on the time I spent at the till.
    Multiply that by a large volume of customers and you get queues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure