PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor has changed EAs since our original offer

Options
A couple of months ago we put in an offer on a house. The offer was accepted, but then almost immediately the sale of our current house fell through so nothing progressed - the vendors didn't even get as far as taking the house off the market.

Fast forward a couple of months, and we now have a firm offer on our house. The house that we want to buy is still on the market, but in the meantime the vendors have switched estate agents, and have also dropped the asking price.

Since we were introduced by the original estate agents, we are planning to go back and put a new (lower) offer in through them, even though the house is no longer listed with them.

My questions:
1) I assume that putting a new offer through the original estate agents is the correct thing to do, as they were the ones who introduced us - but would like to know if anybody thinks differently.

2) Is there any possible disincentive for the vendors in selling through the original estate agents, rather than the ones with whom the house is currently listed?
(I obviously don't know what terms they have/had with either agent, but my best guess is that they were on sole agency contracts with both agents).

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I would go direct to the vendors and ask them what they want to do.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    JayZed wrote: »
    1) I assume that putting a new offer through the original estate agents is the correct thing to do, as they were the ones who introduced us

In the circumstances you describe, that's almost always the best plan.

Even if you bought in some other way (e.g. via the new EA), the original EA would claim a fee for the introduction.
    JayZed wrote: »
    2) Is there any possible disincentive for the vendors in selling through the original estate agents, rather than the ones with whom the house is currently listed?
    (I obviously don't know what terms they have/had with either agent, but my best guess is that they were on sole agency contracts with both agents).

The new EA might be offering a lower fee (e.g. 1% instead of 1.5%), but as I said, the original EA is due their fee for introducing you anyway. So the seller ends up paying 2 fees.

If you want to be extra-sure - you could ask the seller which EA they'd prefer you to deal with. (But some sellers don't fully understand the contracts they've signed, so they might tell you to deal with the new EA - without realising that they might have to pay 2 fees as a result.)
  • JayZed
    JayZed Posts: 731 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks both. We haven't had any direct contact with the vendors, so I don't think that asking them their preference is really an option (we could always go and knock on the door and ask them, I suppose, but I'm not sure that I want to do that).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure