Standard servicing costs

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    :rotfl:£50 on a major service

For some cars that would buy you the engine oil.

I get my car serviced by a main dealer. I supply my own oil.

It saves me £80.
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    fred246 wrote: »
    What amazes me is the gap between DIY and dealer servicing. With DIY you know that everything is done properly and you'd never spend more than £50ish even on the most major service. With dealer servicing they do whatever they feel like doing on the day - and then charge astronomical prices. When you see £340 you think "yes that's with a cambelt and then you realise it probably isn't". So all that money is going on labour. So a mobile mechanic could do 2 services a day. £600 a day. £3K a week. £150K a year.

Please inform me of what you include in your "major" service for £50.

It's also only £150k p/a without any parts to buy or running costs/consumables.
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    DIY servicing is fine if you are competent and have the tools, time and space to do it.
    On an older car that's out of warranty it can make sense.
    You can also do a lot of damage to either yourself or you car if you make a mistake.
    Bear in mind the overheads that go into running a garage and their mark up doesn't look so outrageous (some premium franchises excepted!)
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    fred246 wrote: »
    What amazes me is the gap between DIY and dealer servicing. With DIY you know that everything is done properly and you'd never spend more than £50ish even on the most major service. With dealer servicing they do whatever they feel like doing on the day - and then charge astronomical prices. When you see £340 you think "yes that's with a cambelt and then you realise it probably isn't". So all that money is going on labour. So a mobile mechanic could do 2 services a day. £600 a day. £3K a week. £150K a year.

How much do you pay to service your sweeping brushes you use to make your many sweeping statements on this forum?

Do you clean them with hogwash? Because they do leave a bit of a residue on many of your posts.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The major and most important part of a "service" is an oil and filter change. I do my own with high quality oil and manufs filter for about £48 per year
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Mercdriver
    The major and most important part of a "service" is an oil and filter change. I do my own with high quality oil and manufs filter for about £48 per year

But a major service involves much more than a simple oil change. If I bought a car from you and you said that it was fully serviced and you did what you describe, I would consider it mis-sold. There's a lot more to a major service than simply a change of oil and filter changes.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    But a major service involves much more than a simple oil change. If I bought a car from you and you said that it was fully serviced and you did what you describe, I would consider it mis-sold. There's a lot more to a major service than simply a change of oil and filter changes.

But i would'nt be selling it with FSH and a stamped book. I'd be selling it with what i had to hand, i.e the car and a stack of invoices for parts purchased and work done. As an example, i recently had rear disc and pads done. I couldnt be bothered doing it myself due to the lovely summer we are currently enjoying so i got a garage to do it.

There are differences in minor and major services. As you will know Mercs have this A and B service thing.

Minor services are generally just an oil and filter plus a check list.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    My daughter announced yesterday that her popular small "Italian" car needs its 2 year service. She phoned the dealership it was bought from, and booked it in. I asked her how much was it going to be, and it was £340 ish. After picking myself up off the floor, I thought I'd find out how much it would be from the next nearest dealership - £290 (both including VAT).

A 2 yearly service, in which the car has done around 20,000 miles should be expensive. Has anything been done in the previous 2 years?
  • Mercdriver
    But i would'nt be selling it with FSH and a stamped book. I'd be selling it with what i had to hand, i.e the car and a stack of invoices for parts purchased and work done. As an example, i recently had rear disc and pads done. I couldnt be bothered doing it myself due to the lovely summer we are currently enjoying so i got a garage to do it.

There are differences in minor and major services. As you will know Mercs have this A and B service thing.

Minor services are generally just an oil and filter plus a check list.

Yes, I traded mine in before I had the more expensive service done
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,988 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    When we had a Toyota I went online, https://www.toyota.co.uk, got the price of a full service. I then called our local Toyota garage and booked the service only to be charged £70 more. When I complained I was told the price is only a guide!
    Another sharp garage practice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport