Smart Thermostats

MSE_Andrew
MSE_Andrew Posts: 173 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
edited 25 May 2018 at 12:45PM in Energy
Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks folks.

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    For those in the know -do any of these systems allow you to control the temperature of the hot water as well as on/of times??
    I'm interested in installing a basic system because the existing room thermostat I have ,is the original (32 years old) and sticks on (or off!!) - just thought it would be useful to have the ability to decrease the hot water temp. after morning showers are done.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    brewerdave wrote: »
    For those in the know -do any of these systems allow you to control the temperature of the hot water as well as on/of times??
    I'm interested in installing a basic system because the existing room thermostat I have ,is the original (32 years old) and sticks on (or off!!) - just thought it would be useful to have the ability to decrease the hot water temp. after morning showers are done.

Yes - Honeywell Evohome has a hot water kit. On/off times as well as the set temperature with a differential of 0 to -10C. The reduction has to be preset. Nest also has hot water control.

I was looking at a new build property a couple of weeks ago which comes with ESi programmers: two for the two CH zones (ground floor and upstairs) and one for the hot water.
  • Traditional boiler controls (even smart ones) use a single electrical relay output to control hot water (as well as heating) - so it is basically "on" or "off" and you cannot set a temperature.

To control temperature of hot water would usually require a specific type of boiler that would allow that. If you are replacing a boiler and want hot water temperature, speak to your heating engineer who may be able to advise on a boiler/control combination that can do this.

You may want to ask for a boiler with "OpenTherm" (search for "OpenTherm" to find links) - an OpenTherm boiler with compatible thermostat control will allow you control the *temperature* of the hot water from the control (rather than having to go to the boiler and turn a knob!)

Hope that helps :)
  • By installing IFTTT (ifttt.com) and a location app (e.g. life360.com) on your smart phone(s) you can program IFTTT to switch off your heating when the last person (smart phone) leaves home and switch it back on again when the first person (smart phone) is coming home and gets within a predetermined distance of the house.

This is the real benefit. The heating never runs in an empty house, you always come home to a warm house and the best bit - you don't even have to think about it.

(I've had the configuration described above running problem free for two+ years)
  • RocketReeves
    RocketReeves Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    edited 20 June 2018 at 10:34AM
    I have the Honey Well evohome system in my house. The main reason I bought it was for the ability to zone the heating.
    The reasons I want to be able to zone my heating in priority order.....

1. So the kids bedrooms are always at the right temperature for bedtime, through the night and in the morning.
    2. So the bathroom is warm just before kids bath time.
    3. When the wife has the log burner melting my eyeballs in the lounge, I can still warm the bedroom ready for bed time without heating the lounge any more! (Or other rooms!)
    4. I can heat just the room I am using. (e.g. an evening working in the office which is usually not kept up at a working temp)
    5. When the mother in law baby sits I can increase the temp of the lounge and kitchen when asked via text while I am sat in a restaurant / pub / etc. to keep her happy.
    6. It saves me some money. (2 years in and I have got the cost of buying and installing the system back)
    7. I like a gadget.
    8. I can program and control it from my phone, not standing at a box on a wall for an hour!

Also have a look at the app IFTTT (if this then that) as it can turn my heating completely on or off automatically depending on the weather report, amongst many other cool tricks, like telling me when baby wipes are the cheapest in Tesco :rotfl:
  • mdjuergens
    mdjuergens Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi there

I got a first generations Hive, which does heating AND hot water, shortly after they came out. I'm not sure whether it saves me much money, but it much improved my comfort as I can turn on the heating just before logging off my computer at work making sure my house is ready for me no matter, when I come home.

I'd say, they are great for people with unpredictable weekly patterns like me.

If you are a person of rountine and know exactly what time you leave the house or return on every day of the week a timer will do the trick much cheaper.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I have the Honey Well evohome system in my house. The main reason I bought it was for the ability to zone the heating.
    The reasons I want to be able to zone my heating in priority order.....

1. So the kids bedrooms are always at the right temperature for bedtime, through the night and in the morning.
    2. So the bathroom is warm just before kids bath time.
    3. When the wife has the log burner melting my eyeballs in the lounge, I can still warm the bedroom ready for bed time without heating the lounge any more! (Or other rooms!)
    4. I can heat just the room I am using. (e.g. an evening working in the office which is usually not kept up at a working temp)
    5. When the mother in law baby sits I can increase the temp of the lounge and kitchen when asked via text while I am sat in a restaurant / pub / etc. to keep her happy.
    6. It saves me some money. (2 years in and I have got the cost of buying and installing the system back)
    7. I like a gadget.
    8. I can program and control it from my phone, not standing at a box on a wall for an hour!

Also have a look at the app IFTTT (if this then that) as it can turn my heating completely on or off automatically depending on the weather report, amongst many other cool tricks, like telling me when baby wipes are the cheapest in Tesco :rotfl:

The Government (DECC and now BEIS) and The Buildings Research Establishment are not convinced that heating controls offer much in the way of energy savings. I say this as a long term user of Evohome (4 Years). Despite Evohome with zoning being ErP Class VIII with a 5% ErP energy saving, if you get an EPC done on your property you will find that Evohome has been treated as a single thermostat with a 0.5% energy saving benefit.

Sadly, there would seem to be very little science to underpin the claimed energy savings. This is typical of the latest research:

https://www.dora.dmu.ac.uk/bitstream/handle/2086/16245/1-s2.0-S1364032118303381-main.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Quote:
    Claims about the benefits of heating controls are often biased, unsubstantiated, misleading, or incorrect. This paper presents a systematic and critical international review of the evidence for the energy saving, cost effec- tiveness and usability of heating controls. The focus is domestic, low-pressure hot water heating systems in temperate climates. Eleven different types of standard, advanced and smart controls are assessed plus five components and features that add smart functionality.

The review retrieved over 2400 documents from on-line databases and other sources. Screening criteria and quality assurance scoring identified just 67 items, mainly from the UK and USA, which appeared to contain relevant evidence. This evidence was derived from computer modelling, field trials and full-scale experiments, and for usability, from expert evaluations and controlled assessments. The evidence was synthesised and its quality classified as very low, low, moderate or high using the GRADE system which is more commonly applied in evidence-based medicine.

The energy savings of most heating controls depends strongly on whether the heating system is operated with a continuous or periodic heating pattern, as well as on the energy efficiency of the dwelling and the severity of the climate.

For most control types, the quality of the evidence for energy savings was low, very low or non-existent. However, there was moderate quality evidence that, when appropriately commissioned, zonal controllers, which heat individual spaces to different temperatures at different times, could save energy compared to whole-house controllers, and that low-cost systems of this type could be cost-effective. Unquote

Table 6 is worth a look.
  • StephenTrooper01
    StephenTrooper01 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    edited 22 June 2018 at 9:25AM
    I!!!8216;ve been using a Tado system for around 3-4 years. Includes water, main thermostat plus radiator stats. I have individual schedules for key rooms (eg bedrooms, kitchen/diner and lounge) and use geofencing, which switches everything off when we leave the house. It!!!8217;s all standard with the Tado app. I!!!8217;ve been tracking my energy usage for about 10 years (sounds very sad, I know, but if you provide readings online to your energy supplier, is a simple matter to keep a record). I saw a definite drop in our gas usage - not huge, but noticeable. However the biggest benefit we!!!8217;ve felt is control - we can simply and easily manage and adjust on-the-fly the temp in different parts of the house. Also, our routine is very ad hoc (unpredictable), so the geofencing really works for us. As for Tado, I can!!!8217;t praise the quality of the kit and the support enough. Brilliant installation support (if you want to do it yourself - which I did, as a diyer) and superb after sales ongoing support.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,607 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'm guessing that most people who get a smart thermostat or associated system have a vested interest in trying to get the best out of them and will therefore put a bit of effort into trying to set them up and monitor their performance. Which is probably something they didn't do before lashing out on the upgrade.

However it's fairly likely that unless there's some decent data as to how the system performed before it was upgraded it's going to be difficult to assess how much improvement the upgrade has made unless there's been a dramatic drop in cost or energy consumption.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    @matelodave
    I maybe wrong but they does seem to be an increase in new users this week and all doing first posts about how great smart thermostats are. And that brand starting with T is getting a lot of mentions plus referral links that have been reported.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure