Defence discount card

I have recently applied for this card it seems to offer good discounts in most stores etc.

Has anyone attempted to get any discounts whilst holidaying in America I have read here that serving personnel showing their service I'd have recieved discounts.

They are also very supportive of veterans which is the class I am in so how would I fare in getting discounts with the services discount card over there.
Thanks

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The yanks are pretty good at giving discounts to UK veterans. Wear your veterans badge as well, that is normally good enough for them.
  • Yes, it will work. Not related to the defence discount card specifically but many establishments will give discounts to anyone working within defence military or civilian. This especially applies to hotels I've found.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Yes, I've always asked in US stores, theme parks & restaurants if they give military discount and 7/10 times they have.

I was given discount in a UK kayaking centre a while ago because I'd got talking to the owner and it turned out his Dad was in the RAF.

If you don't ask, you don't get!!
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,989 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Well hope it works over there for you.
    It certainly does NOT work here in the UK, I have tried many, many times and now don't bother to get it out!
  • I have been using DDS for years even bought my last car with it. Well worth it
  • 20% off everywhere in my experience
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I hadn't heard of this scheme until now, but have just signed up as widow of a veteran.

Word of warning though - I googled and ended up signing up in the wrong scheme. Paid £24 for Forces Reward Card then discovered that I should have signed up in Defence Discount Service at £4.99 with very much bigger selection of discounts, so now I have both.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure