Warning and advice about LCS Utility Investigation Civil Enforcement Debt Recoveries

Comments

• Hello LCS Thread!

Alas, I too have joined the ranks of people targeted by LCS.

I first received a letter that appears to have come from SSE regarding an alleged debt from a property I rented at several years ago for the supply of Electricity. However, that particular property, for my time there was a Key Meter. I never opened an account with SSE. It claimed a default had been issued and my "debt" has been passed to LCS. It is also worth noting that the letter had both my forename and Surname spelt totally wrong and gave no dates of supply, just an amount they were looking for.

I emailed the proposed address to inform them it was a key meter, I never opened and account and to give specifics as this is clearly an error. I also sent a second "Prove It" email after reading some feedback in this, and other forums.

About a week later, a letter from LCS arrived advising they have the "debt" for supply of electricity to the address between 2003 and 2018, yep, a whopping 15 year period!

Well, it's totally laughable at this point, I checked out my experian file and no defaults have been issued at all. I cannot imagine that with no contract and my name details completely wrong that this is in any way genuine.It looks, as has been pointed out in this thread, they must be randomly tracing past tenants, over a 15 year period that is going to be a fair few letters!

I have resolved that no action is required on my part and have been sleeping soundly.

This is clearly a foul practice, shame on SSE I say. LCS are an obvious low level DCA with no ability, or interest, to be held to an ethical practice.
  • Peppa66
    Peppa66 Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 12 September 2018 at 12:09PM
    Hi, what if there is a debt owed but there is a dispute with the energy supplier like in my case? Can LCS really go to court for a debt of £200? Does anyone know if they have taken individuals to court? I have not responded to their text messages, or their 'private number incoming calls'. Today I got a letter which I assume it is from them. I have not even opened it. I told British Gas that I would not pay my bill until the dispute is resolved to my own satisfaction.
  • Can you please advise if LCS can take you to court for £200? Have they ever taken anyone to court for small amounts? What happens then? I have a dispute with British Gas which is going to Ombudsman Service soon, but they insist I pay their bills when i told them that I won't until the complaint is resolved to my satisfaction. These !!!!!!!s have clearly sold off the debt to LCS scammers. So, if I ignore their letters or even sent them back as undelivered, am I running the risk of being pursued by the courts? Surely there is a minimum amount worthwhile going to court.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,833 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 September 2018 at 4:51PM
    Peppa66 wrote: »
    Can you please advise if LCS can take you to court for £200? Have they ever taken anyone to court for small amounts? What happens then? I have a dispute with British Gas which is going to Ombudsman Service soon, but they insist I pay their bills when i told them that I won't until the complaint is resolved to my satisfaction. These !!!!!!!s have clearly sold off the debt to LCS scammers. So, if I ignore their letters or even sent them back as undelivered, am I running the risk of being pursued by the courts? Surely there is a minimum amount worthwhile going to court.

Hi,

Yes debts have gone to court for a lot less than £200.

It seems to me you are allowing the tail to wag the dog here, you have an open dispute, so you simply write and tell LCS the account is in dispute with the original creditor, and until this matter is resolved to your satisfaction, you will not be entering into any further correspondence with them.

Should they persist in harassing you further, you will report them to the financial conduct authority, (FCA) and lodge a formal complaint with LCS themselves, which you will then pursue all the way to the financial ombudsman service (FOS) with whom you will seek redress, and the energy regulator as well, if it becomes necessary.

I would CC in British Gas as well, because its very bad practice to sell on a debt whilst a dispute exists.

The reason they are being persistent, is because you are ignoring them, they do not know events prior to becoming involved in this, they are a bottom feeding DCA but you must still inform them of your situation.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Thank you for your reply.

Well, I have read the whole thread and some people have advised to completely ignore them. I have just read FAQ on LCS website and they claim they do not buy debt (or sold to them), they act on behalf of the client. So I am puzzled because I read everywhere else on this forum that they do buy debt. I can't believe they'd go to court for £200, plus I just read on stepchange.org that debt collectors are not like bailiffs, they have no legal powers. What if I made an offer, paying less? I just think that if I go back and advise them of a dispute they will continue to harass me anyway like all the other people I have read about on the thread. Do they even accept offers, though I would have to make sure they accept it as a final settlement (because I read that they can come back for more!)? Btw, I found this website, very interesting as they claim that their 3 letter process has been successful in writing off debts. Has anyone tried it? Any thoughts on this process? please see all 3 letters at this website (I cannot post links, so it has to be like this) http : //beatthebailiffsandthebanks.co.uk
  • sourcrates
    Thank you for your reply.

Well, I have read the whole thread and some people have advised to completely ignore them. I have just read FAQ on LCS website and they claim they do not buy debt (or sold to them), they act on behalf of the client. So I am puzzled because I read everywhere else on this forum that they do buy debt. I can't believe they'd go to court for £200, plus I just read on stepchange.org that debt collectors are not like bailiffs, they have no legal powers. What if I made an offer, paying less? I just think that if I go back and advise them of a dispute they will continue to harass me anyway like all the other people I have read about on the thread. Do they even accept offers, though I would have to make sure they accept it as a final settlement (because I read that they can come back for more!)? Btw, I found this website, very interesting as they claim that their 3 letter process has been successful in writing off debts. Has anyone tried it? Any thoughts on this process? please see all 3 letters at this website (I cannot post links, so it has to be like this) http : //beatthebailiffsandthebanks.co.uk

Fairy tails and which craft, ignore men of the land who claim to be able to fly.

Three letter process been thrown out of court every time, because it’s rubbish.
    Relies on proof of debt, which only requires one provit letter.

LCS only act on behalf of there clients yes, so go ahead with your dispute and good luck with it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Sorry I did not understand exactly what you meant: 'Relies on proof of debt, which only requires one provit letter.'

What do you mean? That LCS can just send you a letter and that is enough proof? I did not understand.

I seem to find a lot of conflicting opinions on this thread, so I honestly have no clue what is correct and what not. For instance, a claim that debt is bought, but then FAZ on LCS website says it is not. Other individuals say not to contact them at all. Or that they have no legal powers. Go figure what is true and what not.

Would an offer lower than £200 help things settle?
    I also saw a thread that one individual received a third letter and LCS offered a discount for immediate settlement.
  • sourcrates
    Sorry I did not understand exactly what you meant: 'Relies on proof of debt, which only requires one provit letter.'

What do you mean? That LCS can just send you a letter and that is enough proof? I did not understand.

I seem to find a lot of conflicting opinions on this thread, so I honestly have no clue what is correct and what not. For instance, a claim that debt is bought, but then FAZ on LCS website says it is not. Other individuals say not to contact them at all. Or that they have no legal powers. Go figure what is true and what not.

Would an offer lower than £200 help things settle?
    I also saw a thread that one individual received a third letter and LCS offered a discount for immediate settlement.

Ok, to clarify, debts can be sold, assigned, whatever, it’s all perfectly legal and is always included in the small print on agreements that you never read.

You either have a dispute or you don’t, you need to decide which path to take, dispute the debt, or settle for an offer, it’s up to you.
  • Well, my question was not exactly answered.
    "What do you mean? That LCS can just send you a letter and that is enough proof?"

It is LCS who claim on their website that debt is not sold.

Yes, there is a dispute, but if an offer to pay for example £50 out of £200, then it is like settling the dispute itself, in a way. Though I still intend to write to Ombudsman.

I must say this thread since 2011 is full of conflicting information then.
  • sourcrates
    The process you were talking about before, all a debt collector has to do is provide evidence of the debt when asked to do so.

If they can, fine, if they can’t, it’s the end of the line.

No need for 3 letters, it’s legislation that has not existed since the dark ages.

If you want to make a settlement offer, then do so, it’s up to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback