PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Purchase and Boiler Service

Options
crisp
crisp Posts: 435 Forumite
edited 19 April 2018 at 4:40PM in House buying, renting & selling
What is the custom, if a purchaser requests that the boiler is serviced and sight of the report?

Is it a legal requirement?

Who pays and arranges?

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If buyer wants the boiler serviced, either

* tell him to arrange for an engineer to do this, subject to your approval of his choice of engineer

or

* get a quote from your own engineer, ask buyer to pay, in advance, an then get the boiler serviced and give him a copy of the report.

You're leaving- why would you want a service?
  • crisp
    Options
    Thanks.

I should add that they had a full two hour structural survey including turning the boiler for it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But I am sure you will understand that that only checks the boiler will turn on.

Its like being surprised when someone wants to have a car MOT rather than just turn the key and listen to the engine, make sure it moves. You also need a mechanic look at the car to make sure the engine is in good condition before you can buy with any confidence.

Same with a boiler. Your buyers might want to check its condition and safety.

Most of the time the buyer will pay for this, but sometimes the seller will to help get the sale.
  • crisp
    Options
    As the query came through my solicitor, I will ask if the buyer is willing to pay the cost. If so how and when is the money handled. Its about £90.
  • Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had exactly this on my last sale. I didn't have boiler serviced and buyer demanded I get it done. No way! Buyer beware and I said they were welcome to Pay to get it done. Guess what? They didn't bother.

What happens if a £300 repair bill is found? Don't even get into that mess you could end up spending lots of cash on something you didn't want and they could pull out of buying the next day.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think I would offer a copy of the latest service.

Are these first time buyers? People who have been renting are used to getting gas safety certificates and some assume that this should be expected when buying a house
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If i was selling a house, i would ignore such a request.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • jimbo747
    jimbo747 Posts: 630 Forumite
    Options
    We insisted on a service when we bought our house last year. The house we were selling was up to date service wise and we were prepared to walk away or drop our offer price by £5k if they refused.

If I'm buying a car advertised as having air conditioning I expect it to be working, same with a boiler.
  • adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    When you buy a used car you ask about service history,
    why not ask to see the boiler service stamps or receipts.

Of course if the boiler is ancient how long will it last, the same as an old car.:)
  • Kyresa
    Kyresa Posts: 1,534 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I personally believe the buyer should get the boiler serviced. Then the buyer has the contract with the service engineer if things may go wrong AFTER completion. If a seller has employed the contractor then you have no rights to complain about the service as you were not a party to the contract. As a buyer you are deemed to have made all reasonable enquiries and inspections. What next? seller pays for the survey as well?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure