Trustcard Plus points: Lloyds lie about redeeming

I've never bothered with Trustcard Plus points in the past as all you can use them for these days is to buy vouchers for Argos etc. at a 10% discount,

However my latest statement says:
Don't forget you may have unredeemed Trustcard points to use
As you spend, you collect points which you can exchange for high street vouchers. Your points balance can be found on your monthly credit card statement.
To find out more about our selected retailers or to redeem your points, simply call us on 0345 603 7132.

That's new. I've got over 7800 points so I gave the number a call, only to find it's still the old 10% off deal.

OK, call Trustcard Customer Services to complain about what is at best a misleading statement.

Had no problem explaining that wording did not agree with facts and asked to make a complaint.

They came back with, in precis, that the wording had been approved and wouldn't be changed. I was offered £9 compensation for my calls and time.

So Lloyds lie about the way TC Plus points can be exchanged and when challenged take the line that as it was approved it's OK.

Did any other Lloyds customers have this on their statement and any suggestions as to how to proceed from here?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    What can you redeem the points for?
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 14 March 2018 at 1:19AM
    What has this got to do with Lloyds?
    Lloyds and TSB have been separate banks again for years now and Trustcard is an ancient TSB credit card product from pre-Lloyds/TSB days when TSB was known as the Trustee Savings Bank. IF you really do still have a Trustcard after all this time the statements will be coming from TSB not Lloyds.
    Although I wouldn't suggest closing this account due to it's extreme age I would suggest applying somewhere for a more up-to-date rewards or cashback product.
  • wrongplanet
    wrongplanet Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    +zx81 You can only use them by buying vouchers at a 10% discount. A £50 voucher would cost you £45 and 50 points, which is not the same as exchanging them for vouchers.

According to the leaflet I was sent dated 1/18, current participants are Argos, Currys/PCW, Boots, Leisure Vouchers, House of Fraser, National Garden Gift Vouchers, Mothercare, Debenhams, Waterstones, Halfords, Laithwaite's, WH Smith and Arcadia.
  • +Ben8282
    Well for a start my Trustcard statement has the Lloyds Bank logo, name, website and so on, which may suggest it is something to do with them.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    OP - it's a historic card no longer offered to new customers.

I don't think a reminder on your statement to exchange your points should lead you to believe they've changed the also historic rewards structure for this particular card.
    Badly worded - possibly but if you've had the trustcard that long and not bothered before, I'm not sure I understand why you are getting frustrated with a small sentence on your statement.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • +Ben8282
    Well for a start my Trustcard statement has the Lloyds Bank logo, name, website and so on, which may suggest it is something to do with them.

Yeah, but apart from that?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    Lloyds and TSB have been separate banks again for years now and Trustcard is an ancient TSB credit card product from pre-Lloyds/TSB days when TSB was known as the Trustee Savings Bank. IF you really do still have a Trustcard after all this time the statements will be coming from TSB not Lloyds.
    Although I wouldn't suggest closing this account due to it's extreme age I would suggest applying somewhere for a more up-to-date rewards or cashback product.

To correct part your very abrupt comment...

The current TSB Bank was actually Lloyds TSB Scotland / TSB Scotland and never previously operated outside Scotland.

It isn't the previous organisation simply demerged.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 March 2018 at 1:03AM
    Ben8282 wrote: »

Lloyds inherited the TrustCard brand when they merged with the old TSB. Existing customers kept their TrustCards, but they were no longer issued to new customers. After the new TSB was formed, both Lloyds and TSB kept the rights to the TrustCard name, like they both did to several other ex LloydsTSB brands, so existing TrustCards can be from either Lloyds or TSB.
  • wrongplanet
    edited 15 March 2018 at 6:20PM
    +Dobbibill TBH I didn't think they'd changed the way you redeemed points but it was worth checking, hence my call to the redemption number.

Their response to the wording when I read it to them was "Oh, that's a bit optimistic" and they confirmed the scheme had not changed.

So I called Lloyds CC CS number, expecting something along the lines of 'Oh yes, I see what you mean - it is misleading/badly worded. We'll make sure it doesn't go out again'.

Instead they came back with what I wrote in the OP - the wording had been approved (at several levels apparently) and wouldn't be changed.

I do wonder if they actually understood the way the old Trustcard Plus points worked, but with them stating the wording has been 'approved' then it surely must be correct and as a result one should reasonably expect be able to exchange points for vouchers.
  • wrongplanet
    The next statement has arrived and the wording is exactly the same.

I did suggest they change it to something like "...which you can exchange for a discount on high street vouchers" which got the 'the wording had been approved and wouldn't be changed' response above.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure