PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Spring Cleaning the Freezers - 52 days on £70

Comments

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I am reducing the number of shops I have from Ocado. I do get stuff there that I don't get at Aldi, so don't want to remove them altogether, but reducing the number of shops from them will reduce the number of Flash Sales of 50% meat offers I get and some other stuff, in order to get the freezer down a bit as well.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for popping in JackieO - I aspire to your 'don't go shopping until there are 10 things on the list' routine
    caronc wrote: »
    Sounds like a fab challenge though I don't think I'm brave enough to join you (it would literally take me months.:o:o:eek:)
    Is it worth looking through your lists and indentifying the "random" bits you might struggle to use up and try a plan one meal (or part meal) using these each week so that you are not having too many "Ready,Steady,Cook" concoctions towards the end?

That's a really good idea to try and use up random bits as I go along as we are likely to fail at the end when it feels like there is nothing to make a meal out of. Fish is the thing only DS eats so he has had that for tea tonight ;)
    donnajt wrote: »
    ps I think it would be a really good idea if you edit all your Inventory posts and strike thru each item as you use it up x

I am going to do that donnajtso I can see what progress I am making and will add on new purchases too as it will help with meal planning.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,173
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Good for you. I'll be following with interest. I've got a few things lurking on my shelves that could do with using up!
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello x-spender, I'll be reading along with interest. The meal plan is looking good.

I chuckled at your tins of beans, I have 24 :rotfl:

I agree with the suggestion about the strikethroughs, I have done something similar elsewhere and found the hardest bit was remembering what I had actually used.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,893
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Xspender, it must have taken ages to compile that list but well worth it to achieve your goal to save £500 , all the best :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Wow ,you have done wonders there,im sure all your hard work will save you loads over the next few weeks.
  • XSpender
    Forumite
    I found this recipe yesterday when looking for ideas on baking using coconut oil as I have 1 and a half jars of the stuff. This recipe will be good for using up the frozen mango and strawberries I have as well as the coconut oil and doesn't need any butter.

It's a bit fancy for everyday but will make it when my Mum comes to visit in the next few weeks.

Found it on this website - I Hola Jalapeno

Mango and Strawberry Pound Cake

2 cups white whole wheat flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    ½ teaspoon salt
    1 cup extra virgin coconut oil
    1 cup granulated sugar
    3 large eggs, at room temperature
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 cup pur!ed mango (about 1 medium mango), plus ¾ cup pur!ed mango, for the glaze
    ½ cup pur!ed strawberries (about 5 large strawberries)
    ½ cup icing sugar

Heat oven to 350 degrees, grease a 9 inch loaf tin

Mix flour, salt and baking powder in a separate bowl.

Beat sugar and coconut oil together until fluffy, add eggs bit by bit.

Add in 1 cup of the mango puree and the vanilla and mix together.

Add in the bowl of dry ingredients and combine.

Scrape into loaf tin and bake for 50-60 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool for 15 minutes before turning on to a wore rack to cool completely.

To make the topping mix the rest of the mango puree and the strawberry puree with the icing sugar and heat over a medium heat until thickens. Pour over cool cake and leave to set for at least 15 minutes.
  • XSpender
    Forumite
    First shopping trip today which seems way too soon when I have just started the challenge!

On my list:

Milk - 4 pints skimmed - £1.09
    Bread x 2 - downgraded to Asda own from 50/50 - £1.10
    Sunflower oil - for baking GF bread and other baking/frying - £1.09
    Cumin - for chilli and HM enchilada spice mix - £0.49
    Eggs - for GF bread, baking and eating - 15 basic - £1.19

I am wondering if I should buy semi skimmed and water it down?

I am going to take the £70 out of the bank and keep it in a separate purse.

I also need hair dye but this is not included in the challenge as I wont be eating it. DH has offered to buy his own beer from his personal spending money until the end of the challenge. I wouldn't have included it in my £70 anyway but at least it shows he is on board :)

Made protein pancakes for breakfast using protein powder, eggs, 2 manky bananas and the dregs of a packet of GF oats. Fried in coconut oil and there is enough for tomorrow's breakfast too. Served with some defrosted blueberries from the freezer.

DH has had corned beef sandwiches and the tin will be sufficient to do the rest of his work lunches this week. I didn't get around to making GF bread yesterday so must do it tonight. I have a solitary GF bagel out of the freezer for my lunch with the last egg and some bacon followed by fruit.

Tonight we will have sausages, beans and French fries to use up some more of the food warehouse.
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You’re doing great XSpender!

Made me smile spotting your Joe Wicks items. I can relate to those (although I blame my friend with her sugar free cookbook)

I see you have risotto planned soon. I make mine with roughly two thirds rice and one third quinoa (which I see you have). I’ve also used pudding rice for risotto and no one seemed to notice. Maybe rice pudding for breakfast would make a change from porridge for you

Keep posting, it’s going to be fun seeing your list gradually get crossed off.
    weaving through the chaos...
  • XSpender
    Forumite
    phizzimum wrote: »
    You’re doing great XSpender!

Made me smile spotting your Joe Wicks items. I can relate to those (although I blame my friend with her sugar free cookbook)

I see you have risotto planned soon. I make mine with roughly two thirds rice and one third quinoa (which I see you have). I’ve also used pudding rice for risotto and no one seemed to notice. Maybe rice pudding for breakfast would make a change from porridge for you

Keep posting, it’s going to be fun seeing your list gradually get crossed off.

I've got the sugar free ones too, and the clean eating, and the grain free and not forgetting slimming world :o

I really like the idea of using quinoa in risotto and will definitely try that this week. I have a quinoa porridge to try too to make the oats last longer.

The pudding rice was bought to cook and then add to the muller lites to make them more filling. I still have 12 :eek: muller lites to get through so need to cook some and try it out. A fat free (and syn free) version of muller rice. I am going to save the pots to make some jelly pots with the 6 packs of sugar free jelly I have.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills