PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh Knit Witch, that's such bad timing. I hope you manage to stay warm.

I hope the 'Thing' gives joy in it's new home GQ, sounds intriguing!

Kondoed a voucher today, lovely coffee and cake, a real treat after work on a Monday - I may now survive the week!

Oooh sounds lurverley!
    Must use my stash up!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    Sitting at my computer this afternoon, it went bang and a puff of smoke came out. Pulled all the plugs out. Now waiting on my computer bod coming tomorrow to tell me whether it'll have to be the last rites........

It'll be a complete pain if I do need a new computer as a lot of the software I run isn't compatible with Windows 10 and some of it now is expensive Adobe subscription stuff.

I hope if I have to have new we can sort something where I can run Windows 7 if needs be. It's my business computer and I have a customer deadline next week.........
    :) Sounds like your capacitors blew, in which case there will be a dead motherboard in there. This I know because The Computer Wizard warned me that my computer could do this (it's 16 years old this autumn).

It may look something like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague#/media/File:Brand_auf_Platine.jpg

You may be able to get an independant computer company to build you a machine to run Win 7, but it's only supported until 2020, so of limited use.

I shall be shopping for a replacement for my elderly Win XP machine in the coming weeks, something I'm not looking forward to, but it's either move into a new computer in an orderly fashion or wait for the darned thing to explode and have to do it in a hurry.:(
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In the last couple of weeks I have bought 3 plain and rather lovely tea light holders, 2 from CS and 1 quite expensive new one, however 9 small ones have been spruced up and donated to CS, my fireplace and hearth look less cluttered and the new ones give me joy:D

I will be taking my vintage mohair cape to the CS this week, it is bright red in colour and I love it, but can only wear it when the weather is dry and moderately cold (need the down and feather coat more often), I was going to try and sell it, but CBA so go it must.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Bag of lovely, but unworn clothes went off for recycling this morning. Accompanied by one paperback (having been re-read by me and then loaned to a friend) and 3 glass jars.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    catshark88 wrote: »
    WHEN I get down to the weight I want to be, I'm going to gradually collate a casual, capsule wardrobe of ethically produced, natural fibre clothes. It won't be a waste, most of my existing clothes are very worn out!

That is a good idea.:)
    Knit_Witch wrote: »
    We have a boiler in the process of being kondo'ed - no heating until Thursday :eek::eek::eek:

Oh no!:eek:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    I shall be shopping for a replacement for my elderly Win XP machine in the coming weeks, something I'm not looking forward to, but it's either move into a new computer in an orderly fashion or wait for the darned thing to explode and have to do it in a hurry.:(
    I had an "explosion" of sorts this week, while I was staying at my mum's old house: the zip on the only fleece I had with me broke ... and then the zip on my nice warm anorak broke too :eek: admittedly, that also fastens with toggles, but I can confirm that using to destruction has its problems :rotfl:

Since I was at my mum's old house, I've now reverse-kondoed a whole load of stuff - more patchwork stash :o more of her completed work, lots of genealogy notes, photos, a few more clothes, all sorts of things ...I have my work cut out.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GQ my elderly XP machine which I no longer have connected to the net has been useful whilst the other one is out of action. OH also suspected capacitors but apparently it's the power supply, added to a lot of fluff and dust (cat and I spend a lot of time in the office). Computer bod has ordered new part, hopefully we can carry on a while longer. It was a well built machine (not off the shelf) when bought, I'm hoping it will keep going for a couple of years so it will see my business out.

The computer bod does say that I may be able to have a virtual Windows 7 within Windows 10 which will keep my software useable if I go down a new computer route in the next couple of years. I had a virtual XP within my Windows 7 for a few years until I updated my software.

If I had to have new software it's on a very expensive monthly subscription which I wouldn't be able to justify paying when I stop work, but would rather not lose completely as I may do some projects from time to time.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You were right GQ, capacitors in the power supply apparently!

Hey ho, we're back up and running again, and mightily relieved.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    You were right GQ, capacitors in the power supply apparently!

Hey ho, we're back up and running again, and mightily relieved.
    :p My Computer Wizard told me about them and pointed them out on my motherboard. Otherwise, I'd not know a capacitor from a hole in the ground. Glad you're mended and up and running.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    I have a spare room full of stuff which is gradually making its way out of the house - life is returning to normal after several weeks involved in planning, running and clearing up a charity event that I'm involved in. I need the spare room clear for Project NewCat, sadly my elderly lady left me in January (no condolences needed, she was very unwell and it was the right time for her). I had planned to wait a few months and then think about getting another cat but .... can't bear the empty house.

I had a lightbulb moment this morning. In view of the weather warnings, and also a rather awkward schedule which might not allow for lunch, I made a flask of soup. I carefully wrapped it in a plastic bag, as I recall that this flask tends to leak. Hang on ... WHAT is the point of a vacuum flask that leaks? Why am I keeping it - I have others! You will wonder why it's taken me so long to reach this point. Flask is going in the bin (not fit for CS) and one of the others will come into use.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure