My Over 50's Spending Diary

Options

Comments

• sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I bought a Silver Screen Odeon adult ticket for £3 yesterday which saved me £7 on the Standard Off-Peak adult ticket

I got a free cup of tea at the cinema worth £1.90

3 hopper bus journeys £2.25 (7th Feb)

I saved £13.30 on my weekly Online Grocery Shop with special offers and price reductions

Current total = £1602.78
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sugar it didn't occur to me to look for books in the poundshop, until you mentioned it. Funnily enough, I just finished a book from there - although they barely had any books in when I popped in recently.

Another place to try could be your local train station. Mine has a bookcase where people can swap books, so commuters can leave their old books for fellow commuters to enjoy.

I was in The Works recently and they are doing 6 books for £10, so I might have to have a closer look...
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    Hi Chanie,

Unfortunately Poundland seems to have taken a decision not to stock many books aimed at adults any more. Thank goodness I bought so many books in previous years. Even the children's book section does not have anywhere as many books in as it used to have. :p

The Works offer always used to be 10 books for £10, so that is a change and not for the better, even though you can still make substantial savings. :) I prefer to be in one of their shops than shop online, as it is so much easier to find really good book bargains with huge reductions. :D That reminds me to take a look in the Andover branch on Saturday if it still exists. What branch of The Works do you go to?

I have run out of space to store books and gifts now, so I will be spending less in the coming months. :D I am going to have to find a really good present for my sister for her 60th Birthday in April from eBay. After her birthday, the family birthdays come thick and fast. We are too large a family to give everyone, but my brother who suffers a lot of health issues and my sisters get presents from me every year. Some nephews and nieces also get gifts from me.

It was my son-in-law's birthday 2 days ago on the 6th. He loved his presents from me (3 M & S Autograph long sleeved shirts, which I bought from eBay last year for less than half the price I would have paid in M & S).

I always find that it works for me to buy gifts in advance, when I can try to find what I know will make the recipient happy. I buy at a much lower price than I would normally have to pay, because I make sure I have time to source gifts at bargain prices. :D

I am very much known as a giver in my family, but I like to make family and friends happy, especially when they are not expecting me to be able to afford a gift for them. :)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you can't afford to buy books, why not join your local library? sooner rather than later, IMO, because so many local libraries round here are threatened with closure.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • chanie
    Options
    sue I do use my local library and take my children. In fact, I returned some books on my way home from work tonight. I like to have a mixture of library and non library books. With library books, I!!!8217;m forced to read them quickly so I can finish them before they are due back. But I can!!!8217;t do this all the time as I have family commitments, so I alternate with my own books which I can read at a slower pace.

Sugar my nearest The Works, is in Croydon. It!!!8217;s a shop I!!!8217;ve missed - I didn!!!8217;t go in it for years as it!!!8217;s on the first floor of the shopping centre and I normally couldn!!!8217;t be bothered to wait for the lift when the children were in the buggy.

Like you, I buy Xmas presents throughout the year. It!!!8217;s becoming more difficult now, as our nieces and nephews are getting older and are wanting money instead of gifts. I don!!!8217;t mind, as I!!!8217;d rather give them something they want, rather than waste money on something that gets unused.

Have you thought about what you will be getting your sister for her birthday.
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    If you can't afford to buy books, why not join your local library? sooner rather than later, IMO, because so many local libraries round here are threatened with closure.

As I said I have over 100 new books to read, so I do not need to join a Library until I have run out of books to read and then I can do book swaps as Chanie suggested, so I am still unlikely to join a Library. but thank you for the suggestion
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    Hi Chanie,

I would like to get my sister a solid gold bracelet, but I will have to keep looking as there are none in my price range on eBay at the moment :(
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    Blimey, how long will it take you to read 100 books? You must do a lot of reading. At one book a week it will take you almost two years to read them. :eek:

Libraries are closing because not enough people are using them. I take out ten books a week, even though I don't read them all. I would like Stan to keep his job.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • sugarbaby125
    edited 9 February 2018 at 4:19PM
    Options
    Ilona, I actually have 142 new books waiting to be read so it may take me up to 4 years to read them all, even though I read every day

Poundland Bargains:

3 X Lavender Epsom Bath Salts for £3 which saved me £4.50

2 Litres of Comfort Creations for £2 which saved me 50p compared to buying this product in Tesco as it is currently on half price offer in Tesco

2 X Sally Hansen Shimmer Nail Polishes for £1 which saved me £10.20 as the next cheapest price I could find was on Amazon UK

15 X Patak Basmati rice for £7.50 (half price offer at the moment, with January 2019 use by dates, so I could stock up) which saved me £7.50

Current total = £1625.48
  • chanie
    Options
    Hi Chanie,

I would like to get my sister a solid gold bracelet, but I will have to keep looking as there are none in my price range on eBay at the moment :(

Fingers crossed that something suitable comes up soon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback