Would a female feel vulnerable if alone ans stranded?

Laz123
Laz123 Posts: 1,742
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
So you're a female driver and your car breaks down. You're left alone and stranded by the roadside waiting for the AA man who takes hours and hours to turn up. Do you think you should feel more vulnerable than a man?

I deliberately haven't posted this in the motoring forum because it's male dominated sometimes by petrol-heads.

Comments

• ssparks2003
    ssparks2003 Posts: 809
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    How do you know what a man would feel?
  • I may feel vulnerable depending on the location/time I was stranded in. But personally I don't think that I would say 'I'm more vulnerable than if it were a man here'.
    If I judged the situation to be potentially dangerous then I think a man or a woman could feel equally vulnerable at that location/time.
    I wouldn't particularly want to be stranded alone in the middle of the night but I know my boyfriend wouldn't want to be stranded either.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Yes, I would feel vulnerable but I suspect many males would feel exactly the same too, perhaps not so necessarily so much physically but certainly emotionally. Nobody likes to find themselves stranded in a situation where events happen beyond their control on which they're relying on somebody else for assistance.

I don't think gender necessarily comes into it. Both sexes are capable of experiencing similar emotions.
  • Thorsmaw
    Thorsmaw Posts: 7 Forumite
    That's a pretty stereotypical question...........
    For example, I'm a power lifter and I've won awards in strong woman competitions so I would have no worries whatsoever as I know I am physically strong and it'd be hard to overpower me. I also know some men who aren't particularly strong and would feel very vulnerable.
    I don't think it matters what sex you are, its more about your confidence, strength and ability.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Definitely! Unfortunately dodgy guys do look out for women they perceive as vulnerable. A friend had to lock herself in her stranded car because a guy stopped and would not leave her alone. Thankfully the police saw her and came to help. It would depend on the situation. If it was an urban street with people about I would not be worried. I am sure guys have been attacked too in this situation BTW, but they don't tend to think it will happen to them.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,201
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I can't imagine why you are asking the question

Do you work for the AA and are gathering survey data

Are you a pervert who gets off on the thought of frightened women?

Have you had an argument with your spouse about this?

Why do you want to know?
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,392
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Depends on time of day and place. Bit obvious really.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,201
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    found the backstory

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5667260

Chose not to leave the car, and other complications; not as straightforward as this original post suggests
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Going by the above, it sounds like service was dreadful, however, throwing in the 'I was left vulnerable because I'm a girl' isn't going to get much added sympathy I expect. Stick to them not meeting the expected level of service they should be delivering.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,739
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Laz123 wrote: »
    Do you think you should feel more vulnerable than a man?

No.

I don't think any priority should be given to a lone female over a lone man, although I understand this is the case at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure