Can't afford to stay in a relationship

Options

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I really hope that this is not genuine, the very thought that someone would split a family to try and maximise benefits is abhorrent to me.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you actually WANT to split up and not be in a romantic relationship anymore or are you just doing it for the purpose of benefits?? Surely then everyone could do that for more money? What about your kids feelings, telling them you've split up if you're only doing it to claim more benefits? Sorry but I think thats quite a horrible idea.
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think that what has brought about this situation has been the reassessment of PIP which resulted in a much reduced award.

Would this increase because of her single status?

Clearly, having become accustomed to a certain level of income, the drop has caused more financial stress.

To separate, would incur additional costs. Two rents, two lots of utility bills, CT, and a myriad of other expenses.

I don't envy anyone that is faced with splitting a family to increase benefit entitlement.

I'd be prepared to live in a shed as long as I had my DH to cuddle up with at night ;)

...and a good duvet!
  • WillGoodfellow
    Options
    Perryface wrote: »
    Contact the Electricity company (in writing) asking them if they could reduce your payments further. They cannot cut off your electric if you have dependant children.

That is incorrect. Some companies have agreed to not disconnect people with young children but others haven't, and there is nothing legally to stop electricity being disconnected.
  • The_Old_Bag
    The_Old_Bag Posts: 4,706 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I expect this to potentially cause a back lash, but, I have to ask the question.....
    Why did OP have another child when they were already struggling both financially, and to manage with OPs disability ?
    It does not sound like the disability is temporary, or will improve.
    She appears not to have a support network around her.
    Is having to pay for a taxi to get her children to school
    And only able to have a vehicle because of Benefits.

The attack on Benefits generally and the disabled in particular is not a NEW thing.It has been going on for at least 5 years.....so she cannot claim this has all come out of the blue. I know several people who receive and survive thanks to DLA, but are literally terrified of the PIP letter arriving, and they could end up losing everything.
    She is also aware that Social Services are struggling and will be unable/unwilling to provide home help indefinitely.
    So if OP was already struggling (she needed home help) and debts were mounting, why get pregnant?

A few years back I went to the bank to see about a loan - and the amount they were prepared to lend me was staggering.
    They took into account child benefit, child tax credits, working tax credits etc. added my salary....then GROSSED that figure up, before they calculated what they would lend me.
    About £100k

But I took into account that CB would not last for the length of the loan, therefore CTC would also fall/stop, and WTC fall/stop.....
    And there would be no guarantee I would still have a job, let alone increase my earnings to cover this fall in benefits...
    I didn't take out the loan - because I knew I would be struggling to repay it.... and i did not want the added stress and anxiety of threatening letters, debt collectors, bailiffs or losing the roof over my head. I would rather cut my cloth NOW to manage without the loan, than carry on living beyond my means - and lose my house down the line.

Why would anyone get themselves into so much debt when the LIKELIHOOOD is their income will FALL ?

So why did OP have another child, when she had no guarantee that her family income would continue, let alone be able to increase it to meet the increased size of her family?
  • Perryface
    Options
    The Old Bag, why are you even asking the question, it has no relevance to the OP's post. She has 4 children.... End of.

Are you proposing people who are disabled or claiming tax credits or both cannot procreate?

You assume the OP chose to have another child even though she was struggling financially.... From what I read in the original post, there was a mistake made when dla was reassessed and PIP was introduced regarding the level of mobility element the OP was entitled to, this caused the initial financial hardship, then to compound the problem, an overpayment made by tax credits was found and this now has to be paid back (at the amount set and is presumably non-negotiable). This is what has caused the financial difficulties imo. At no point does the OP suggest she had money worries prior to the under-entitlement by PIP (although I note she has some debts acrued - along with the majority of us!)

For all we know, the OP was doing quite fine balancing the books until the mess made by PIP. I thought this forum was to help.... Not judge.

Wedding payment 1000/4600 due 21/0718
  • Confuseddot
    Options
    Ok bit confused trying to clarify ....

The DLA money was spent on car/home help so no money has been lost, car given back help stopped. The only change in tax credits would be a loss of Severe Disability Element which is £1,275 a year.

Higher rate Pip been restored so motability car can be re-obtained. So the only difference is that they they are getting standard rate PIP and no home helps which means more money and less help.

Have i missed something ?
    Play nice :eek: Just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get me.:j
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    and there was a 2k Motability transition payment
  • It's not benefit fraud, we are talking about ending our relationship because we can't afford to be in it. I have four children and we will do anything to stop them being on the street, so long as it falls within the law.

I'm sorry but how would splitting up with their father be of any benefit to the 4 kids?
    Maybe if he gave up work to look after you that would work better?
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Perryface wrote: »
    I thought this forum was to help.... Not judge.

It IS but why should people support someone who is gong to pretend to end their relationship just to get more benefits? The OP should post a SOA and take some of the advice people have given rather than say her and her husband will "end their relationship" to get full income support etc. Sorry but I think thats wrong, whatever way you look at it. If they truly ARE splitting up because they don't want to be married then fine, do it, but don't do it as a means to get extra cash.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure