Everyday Ordinary Man Approaching Full Retirement at 59.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    edited 11 December 2016 at 11:36PM
    Time at school has not been too onerous this week but I am looking forward to the Christmas Holiday. I now realise I am ready to finish in June. Will continue to try and do my best for the students until then.
    Not a brilliant week healthwise. Blood pressure has risen again so been put back on the medication. Nothing too extreme but still annoying. Also had a neck x-ray as its been uncomfortable for a few weeks. I have been given some exercises to do to help stretch the muscles, but doctor said I may simply have an 'old-neck'! That was great for the self-esteem!:( Must admit after 3 days on the tablets I do feel a lot better. Also need to spend less time on computer which I believe has aggravated the problem.
    Have a good weekend
  • Whilst I loved my teaching job, and colleagues and lesson prep and, yes, loved marking! I have not looked back since I retired. After 8 years I do not know a single pupil as they have all gone through school now. Many of my colleagues have retired too, and I have moved away. So I have no interest in school any more and have built a new life.
    We have more than enough to live on, we both have teachers'pensions, though not the full whack. I got 20 yrs in. I also had a small AVC which pays out in the form of an annuity. Then a tiny pension from France, and SRP. DH has a bigger teacher's pension and more SRP but we end up with about the same amount coming in. Our household costs are fairly low, the mortgage is paid. The main outgoings are food, and diesel for him. I use the bus a lot with my pass.
    We both keep very busy with family, hobbies and voluntary work, so we don't have time to spend much money, but can afford to buy anything we want, though not everything we might want. There is a difference.
    Personally I would love a long holiday or three, but family circumstances mean we are limited to short UK ones, so there's another saving.
    You could say we are more content now than when we were working, as the stress and demands of the job have ceased, and we have more choices open to us, and money is not the worry it was when we had a young family and mortgage to pay.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    excelpaul wrote: »
    Also had a neck x-ray as its been uncomfortable for a few weeks. I have been given some exercises to do to help stretch the muscles, but doctor said I may simply have an 'old-neck'!

Not a very MSE thought, but wondering if hands on with an osteopath might help with your neck. (charges are.....quite dear!) However my osteopath has kept me mobile for years when fighting arthritis. Try not to do anything for too long- probably limit yourself to computer work in half hour sessions with more movement in the intervals, roll shoulders etc..... Pilates would probably be good too.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • I spend far too long on my laptop or iPad, which is not for neck or shoulders!
  • System
    Community Admin
    Many apologies for lack of recent posts. However I have been busy with Christmas preparations and family matters. Feel much better having been on blood pressure medication for a couple of weeks. Also being on holiday from my part-time teaching job is also very relaxing.
    Since Saturday I have managed to eat out or with friends on several occasions. Also collected my niece from Heathrow after a 6 month work contract in Australia/New Zealand. Great to have her home for Christmas!
    Off to doctor's tomorrow for a follow up visit. Hopefully will also have result of my neck x-ray.
    Finances seem to be ticking over nicely with savings growing as expected.
    I have also given some more though to my Canadian trip as well as activities to undertake during full retirement. Will post more detail after the Christmas holiday along with provisional plans for 2017.
    Will probably not post again until that time so wishing you all a Happy, Healthy and Peaceful Christmas holiday.

Please keep posting your thoughts, ideas and plans for retirement, financial or otherwise.

Take care.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,392
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    When you retire from teaching you'll find Sunday nights are marvellous!

And those holidays! You won't be writing reports finalising coursework or catching up on marking.

It's brilliant!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • System
    Community Admin
    To be honest with part-time work Sundays are already much better!
    Pleased to report neck x-ray was normal and blood pressure down!
  • Hello Paul, great news on the health front, and your decision to retire next year reinforced by how much better you feel out of term time! Every teacher I've known has ended up looking years younger post retirement.

I'm intending to retire at the end of April. My finances are that I'll have an occupational pension of £395 per month, and will bridge the gap using savings frugally until my state pension kicks in in Autumn 2019. I have fatigue issues caused by a long term condition, and I'm running out of steam despite going part time some years ago. I want to visit family overseas, and feel that if I continue beyond April, that I would put that at risk.

I'm of a generation that didn't have gap years, so on a modest budget 2017 will be Wee Midgie's Gap Year, and I'll probably start a thread with that title just after New Year. After all, there is a wealth of knowledge on MSE to give me tips and wrinkles and help me with my plans.

In just wanted to pop in and wish you continuing health and happiness in your momentous year ahead, and of course a happy Christmas!
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I get £62 carer's allowance per wk.

Colly, you don't mention that you are claiming NI credits as a carer, in addition to the £62 allowance. You may have just omitted to mention it, you may already have enough NI years for a full state pension, and/or you may not worry about working age benefits that require that you contributed to NI, or got credits for NI, in the preceding 2 years but I thought I mention it in case you are unaware of the NI credits you are entitled to. Apparently only 5% of carers do claim NI credits, a shockingly low number!

https://www.gov.uk/carers-credit/overview
  • Hi excelpaul,, just found your thread,, I found it very interesting and I think its a great idea,,,I, m a great believer in shareing lifes experience, s with others especially when it comes to " big" finacial decisions, ,
    I have recently retired at 56 and I found the whole thing a bit stressful and I still do worry a little about years ahead,, even though in my heart I will be finacially ok,, I, m just the worrying type,,,
    I have learned loads from the mse forum, its helped me greatly over the last 2 years,,,,,as you know interest rates are pretty grim but for a bit of organising you can get decent rate,, as someone in an earlier post said that tesco account is a no brainer,, unfortunately its not applicable in N.Ireland so I cant avail of it,, but if was I, d be using it,,,, I, ve recently started banking with nationwide to get the 5% on balance up to £2500,,,it, ll pay me £125 per year,, I am also looking at a few other accounts, its only a bit of hassle getting things set up but over the year it, ll be worth it,,, may not be a fortune but I do get satisfaction knowing I, m getting a few quid of the banks,,!
    my wife and I I hàve 50k in investments and around 45k in savings,, we have income of £500 per month and are mortgage free,,, I have requested a pension forcast from my final salary pension scheme,, it should be around 6k a year and lumpsum of around 35k,,, like you I will be doing a few exceptional holidays and a few normal trips to spain, france etc,,, I, m a regular punter who saved well for retirement so I, ll be very interested in your progress,, good luck to you,,, and be brave,, take that big step,, its well worth it,,,,,,,,,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure