Renewables: "talking 'bout my generation"

Kernel_Sanders
Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
edited 19 December 2019 at 10:25PM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
Please forgive the corny thread title inspired by The Who but this post on the bloated 'how do I make the most of it' thread prompted me to initiate a new one...
Hi Everyone,
I haven't been here for a while, and am interested to see discussion of how much is being generated, rather than what to do with it.
Well, there was yet another misty and bleak start in North Notts today (Thursday), but my SSW 3.92 kWp system was generating around 3kW for just a few minutes between 12.15 and 13.00, but enough to get the immersion heater hot enough for a shower. It seems to drop below that figure before it reaches 13.55 (optimum orientation). Final figure was just over 14kWh.

BTW, there was an item about solar generation in Germany on the radio today; you can stream it here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01d2rvn/PM_15_03_2012/
Just click on the speaker symbol on the left, then drag the time cursor at the bottom to 25mins 30 secs then release.

Comments

• sly_dog_jonah
    sly_dog_jonah Posts: 1,003
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    edited 19 March 2012 at 3:19PM
    Following a stinking week of weather in cider country (N.Somerset) last week (total generation Mon-Fri: 17kWh), today is looking like it is going to be a new record today. :j

By midday we'd already generated 13.46kWh (our SE orientation does help!) and on previous good days we've made over 7kWh in the afternoon.

Fingers crossed we might beat 20kWh today, comfortably beating our previous best of 17.57kWh two weeks ago.

Edit:
    Still over 3hrs until sunset, but we've broken through 20kWh for the first time.
    photontq.jpg

I wonder if a 30kWh day will be possible in June?:beer:
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Forumite
    edited 19 March 2012 at 9:18PM
    By midday we'd already generated 13.46kWh (our SE orientation does help!)
    I only got 11.67kWh all day! (3.92kWp,SSW)
    However, things are looking up for Wednesday over here; 0% cloud forecast by Metcheck during daylight. Mind you, couple of weeks ago, they were forecasting around 10% for a day that turned out to be mostly cloudy!

[IMG][/img]equin.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.usWhat do you use to get the URL to post your own photo?
  • sly_dog_jonah
    sly_dog_jonah Posts: 1,003
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    edited 20 March 2012 at 10:13AM
    I only got 11.67kWh all day! (3.92kWp,SSW)
    However, things are looking up for Wednesday over here; 0% cloud forecast by Metcheck during daylight. Mind you, couple of weeks ago, they were forecasting around 10% for a day that turned out to be mostly cloudy!

What do you use to get the URL to post your own photo?

Looks like you need to link to http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/2651/equin.jpg Under 'Links to share this image', copy paste the 'Direct' one.

Sorry to rub it in, but we got 21.28kWh by sunset. We've got a 3.7kWp system, 45deg, at a bearing of [STRIKE]154[/STRIKE] 144deg (or -36 azimuth). Edit: corrected thanks Kernel Sanders.

Tomorrow looks pretty poor according to metcheck, but Weds looks better.
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Forumite
    edited 19 March 2012 at 10:35PM
    Thanks, I've been using the 'forum code'.
    at a bearing of 154deg (or -36 azimuth)
    Would that be 190° - 36? :)
  • ha ! 21.53kWh over here , best day to date.
  • Hi James.
    And where might 'over here' be?

BTW thanks again for telling us about that website on technology in pre-powered times; absolutely amazing!
    Worth posting it again, I think.
    http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2009/10/how-to-make-everything-yourself-online-lowtech-resources.html
  • yep , low tech mag. is a great site all round .

over here's Sunny Slough .
    3.68kW limited inverter, 18x240W schuco panels , sma 4000TL ( 2.4kW 35deg, 1.92kW 15deg) SE
  • 3.68kW limited inverter, 18x240W schuco panels , sma 4000TL ( 2.4kW 35deg, 1.92kW 15deg) SE
    A little confused now! You have a 4kW inverter to service a 2.4kWp string? What is a limited inverter?
  • GaryMo_2
    GaryMo_2 Posts: 116
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    His inverter will be limited to 3.68kW in line with G83.
    A 4000TL has two mppt trackers and two strings, one of 2.4kW and the second of 1.92kW, making 4.32kW of panels. Remember though, the inverter is the limiting factor at 3.68kW.
    It sounds like a pretty good system to me.

James, did your DNC (Declared Net Capacity) go down as 3.68kW on your MCS certificate?
    16 x 250W JA Solar Panels (JAM6-60-250) : Fronius IG TL 3.6 Inverter : South Facing : 28 Degree Pitch : No Shading : Manchester M46
  • jamesingram
    jamesingram Posts: 301 Forumite
    edited 20 March 2012 at 7:23AM
    GaryMo wrote: »
    James, did your DNC (Declared Net Capacity) go down as 3.68kW on your MCS certificate?
    yes, DNC = output of inverter.. as per ofgem definitions.
    DNC is what is asked for on FITs form and MCS cert.
    there a discussion on here about it.
    I'm with the lot that believe by these definitions DNC=TIC anyway

one string on main roof , other on single storey extension

cheers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills